Confirmed with Link: Washington Caps Trade Perreault to Anaheim...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Thanks MyS, why not reward him by letting him hang around for a week, learn our systems more, our LDs. Sure it cuts into his ice time but getting a taste of the bigs may equal 20 games in the minors. Maybe 30 games.

For it helps him learn what he needs to work on, in a crash course.

Maybe we face a pansy team, and get him into a game.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
br....do you think McPhee kept carrick to get scratched regular? wouldn't that role fit oleksy far better? could be carrick is being kept for only the short run to give him some games, but as long as he's on the roster, I would expect him to be playing far more than watching.

The lineups in practice today suggest that he will be #7. I'm just saying thats what I see and not sure how it will play out. In general I do agree he should be playing a full role in the AHL. He really was alot better than the other options however.

A line with Volpatti & Beagle shouldn't be, though. Maybe Wilson gets the bump and puts heat on Brouwer/Ward. Regardless, that fourth line is bound to be populated by a RW dragged down by their linemates.

Volpatti is an extra forward. I see Chimera in that spot.

MJ/Backstrom/Ovechkin
Laich/Grabovski/Brouwer
Erat/Fehr/Ward (I see Wilson taking over this spot soon)
Chimera/Beagle/Wilson

Extras: Latta and Volpatti (Latta plays over Volpatti in the event Laich can't go)

Thats my take anyhow.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Once Laich is healthy, you can push one of Volpatti or Bealge/Latta out of the line-up, and make the 4th line a little better.
True...most likely Volpatti. Still, even with Chimera perhaps pushed down I'd like to see a linemate or two that can control the puck a little better. Hopefully Latta supplants Beagle at some point since he has shown more hockey sense at times.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
RE: Asset Management...what the heck did anyone here think we were going to get for MP anyhow? Even if we traded him last year at best he'd garner a 3rd rounder or some marginal return.

Good asset management means, among other things, that you don't throw around cap space to overpay bottom-6 players (or glorified backup goalies), so you don't end up in a situation when you have to throw away a player who, despite his warts, gives you excellent performance and depth for the price.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Majo-Backs-Ovie
Erat-Grabo-Brouwer
Laich-Fehr-Wilson
Chimera-Latta/Beagle-Ward

That's how I'd roll. Let Erat distibute to 2 guys who like to shoot. Laich with Grabo makes no sense. Also want to see Erat as 1LW a few times. Maybe try Laich a few games at 3C.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Majo-Backs-Ovie
Erat-Grabo-Brouwer
Laich-Fehr-Wilson
Chimera-Latta/Beagle-Ward

That's how I'd roll. Let Erat distibute to 2 guys who like to shoot. Laich with Grabo makes no sense. Also want to see Erat as 1LW a few times. Maybe try Laich a few games at 3C.

I like our options up front. Oates shouldn't have a tough time coming up with something that works consistently, but I imagine it will look a lot like this.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They did it with Eminger...

that was different. eminger required waivers to send to Hershey. remember?

edit: wait...latta made the roster? I thought people said he wasn't going to make it and that was further proof of the fail of the deal for Erat with Forsberg. You mean he made the team afterall?? McPhee just trying to save face? :)

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
that was different. eminger required waivers to send to Hershey. remember?

No he didn't. He was a just drafted 1st rounder who was kept in the NHL for half a season while only getting into 17 games before they finally sent him back to Kitchener.

It was a perfect example of how not to develop a young player and if they keep Carrick up just to do the same thing to him I am not going to be pleased.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Assuming Grabovski leaves the team next year when the salary cap goes back up is defeatist, I think.

Well, historically speaking (meaning looking at the current regime's track record on the things)-- Grabovski will leave at end of the year.

Taking opinions and emotions out of it, this is the usual result for a non- drafted George acquisition. Once contract is up, they leave.

I think Laich, Brouwer, and Erskine are the only guys on the roster who resigned with the team for another go around, that wasn't drafted? (Post lock out)

I may be missing someone, but i don't think so. That also doesn't mention all the players who have left--- like dozens?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Well, historically speaking (meaning looking at the current regime's track record on the things)-- Grabovski will leave at end of the year.

Taking opinions and emotions out of it, this is the usual result for a non- drafted George acquisition. Once contract is up, they leave.

I think Laich, Brouwer, and Erskine are the only guys on the roster who resigned with the team for another go around, that wasn't drafted? (Post lock out)

I may be missing someone, but i don't think so. That also doesn't mention all the players who have left--- like dozens?

Fedorov comes to mind immediately.

And players leave because we had been drafting so well that we have to make room for the young guys to step in too. Also..salary cap.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland

Knuble signed an extension here after coming as a UFA, as did Poti. Feds signed again after being a rental. Obviously their circumstances are different than Grabo's though due to age and career stage. But if the cap does what most seem to think it will, the money will be there if they want to use it on him. The only player that'll need to be re-signed is Chimera (and Latta if we're counting him, though he'll be a QO signing I'm sure).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

You're missing quite a few:
Chimera
Knuble
Hendricks
Kundratek
Volpatti
Poti
Beagle

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
No he didn't. He was a just drafted 1st rounder who was kept in the NHL for half a season while only getting into 17 games before they finally sent him back to Kitchener.

It was a perfect example of how not to develop a young player and if they keep Carrick up just to do the same thing to him I am not going to be pleased.

There is lots or room on the Fire George bandwagon, Millhaus.

It's gassed and ready to go. Had a nice tune up this off-season.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
You're missing quite a few:
Chimera
Knuble
Hendricks
Kundratek
Volpatti
Poti
Beagle

Not really. Kundratek and Volpatti are hardly not worthy. How did we acquire Beagle? I thought we drafted him? I think we also resigned Federov, right?

Chimera was a miss. Knuble and Hendricks re also gone, so?

Do yourself a favour and create a list if players acquired and then let go at end of their current contracts. It's a very long list.

Odds are Grabovski leaves at end of the year, not that he stays.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Not really. Kundratek and Volpatti are hardly not worthy. How did we acquire Beagle? I thought we drafted him? I think we also resigned Federov, right?

Do yourself a favour and create a list if players acquired and then let go at end of their current contracts. It's a very long list.

Knuble and Hendricks both resigned once after they got acquired.

Now sure how you calculated the odds of Grabovski leaving. If he plays awesome and loves it here the Caps will resign him unless they know Kuznetsov can take the 2C role.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Both Kundratek and Volpatti saw significant time last year, and Volpatti is still on the roster now. I didn't count players like Sabourin or Deschamps, but I thik Kundratek and Volpatti are worthy of mention.
Beagle was an undrafted free agent.
Yes, we did re-sign Fedorov. I didn't go back that far (BCF added some more to the list if you go back further).

Both Knuble and Hendricks re-upped once before being let go. There are very few here who would argue that keeping either a second time would be a wise decision. Knuble was done and Hendricks had outpriced his role.

You mean the guys like BMo, Hannan, Hamrlik, Wolski, Huet, and Wideman? What an elite crowd that is... :laugh:
Aside of Ribeiro (who's results in Phoenix remain to be seen) and Semin (who was drafted by McPhee) hardly any of the players the Caps let walk have had success afterwards. Wideman did okay in his first year in Calgary, but he was well liked here for a little while before the realities of his defensive lapses set in. The rest of them have either bounced around on cheap contracts or completely failed to find them. Largely, the players who the Caps let walk away were done.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

That list is long for every franchise.

Liberati0n*

And Huet carried us to the playoffs in 2008. But none of those guys have done much of anything since leaving the Caps.

I just wanted to reference the Perreault translation. I may be remembering it wrong anyway though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad