Pre-Game Talk: Washington Capitals at New York Rangers-7:30 P.M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2012
NY
I'm not disagreeing with you. All I said was that you can't just cherry-pick a player who you can remove and say well if they did this, than that. If they removed Hank, they wouldn't be the Rangers.

Alright. Then is it fair to say that their skaters have outplayed ours by a large margin? Because that's what I've seen so far.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
So it's OK to rely this heavily on your goalie and not score a single goal on Braden Holtby? Ok, good to know.

How about this team takes charge for once, sets the tone, and dictates the pace of the game?

I don't think I said it was OK or made any excuses for the offense not showing up. But you still can't just remove Hank to prove a point, reality is he played and made the game close. Closer than they deserved to be? Probably.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't think I said it was OK or made any excuses for the offense not showing up. But you still can't just remove Hank to prove a point, reality is he played and made the game close. Closer than they deserved to be? Probably.

Meh, that game was close until OT (when the Caps just pulled away and outworked the Rangers).

Jan 8, 2012
NY

Read my response to Boyler.

The score has been close. The play of the skaters has not been.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'd like to see the following lines, but I'm not very hopeful that I will

Hags - Step - Nash
Clowe - Richards - Zucc
Kreider - Brassard - Callahan
Pyatt - Boyle - Dorsett

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Switch Richards and Brassard and I like them.

I like Brassard with Kreider and Cally personally. I think, aside from Step, Brassard is the best center for Kreider to be playing with, and Kreider doesn't really deserve time with on whatever line Step would be on yet anyway. He needs someone to get him the puck and it looks like Brassard really needs someone to get the puck to - Pyatt and/or Boyle aren't going to cut it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I like Brassard with Kreider and Cally personally. I think, aside from Step, Brassard is the best center for Kreider to be playing with, and Kreider doesn't really deserve time with on whatever line Step would be on yet anyway. He needs someone to get him the puck and it looks like Brassard really needs someone to get the puck to - Pyatt and/or Boyle aren't going to cut it.

Richards and Clowe just shouldn't be paired together. Way too slow.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'd like to see the following lines, but I'm not very hopeful that I will

Hags - Step - Nash
Clowe - Richards - Zucc
Kreider - Brassard - Callahan
Pyatt - Boyle - Dorsett

Agree with Jonathan. Switch Brass and Richie and these are fantastic. Thing is, can you really take Powe out of the lineup? Dude is essential on the PK. I'd plug him in for Pyatt, and roll those lines.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Richards and Clowe just shouldn't be paired together. Way too slow.

Oh yeah, good point. Hadn't considered that. This team really, really needs a 2c with some upside instead of Richards. He's a part of the problem at this point.

Agree with Jonathan. Switch Brass and Richie and these are fantastic. Thing is, can you really take Powe out of the lineup? Dude is essential on the PK. I'd plug him in for Pyatt, and role those lines.

Another good point, maybe put him in Pyatt's place, he doesn't contribute anything too essential.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Meh, that game was close until OT (when the Caps just pulled away and outworked the Rangers).

They definitely did I agree. They always come out guns blazing and we really can't expect to weather the storm in OT. It's not the time to play that way.

Read my response to Boyler.

The score has been close. The play of the skaters has not been.

While I agree offensively because not even the largest homer would try argue that, I think we have played better defensively and have done a good job of keeping their big guns in check. OV and Green have one goal a piece while Backstrom, Ribiero, and the others have been quiet. Is that them not playing well or us keeping them in check? I believe it's more us than them, had they just had their way with us and we couldn't contain anyone I would agree with the idea that we are being heavily out played. We're not.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Well, the play of Brassard kind of remediates that, at least.

True. I think ideally Brassard would be a nice 3c/2c tweener who plays on the third and gives some extra depth. Even another guy like him would be an upgrade over Richards, he's too slow of a skater and his release takes all day. Every single thing he does is broadcast to the other team a few seconds before it happens.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Disagree, but thanks!

While the final score is all that matters in the big scheme of things, there are other things to take into account when analyzing a sporting event. The Rangers played a close game and lost.

We have to be watching two very different series.

Holtby is barely tested in game 2. The score may show that the game was close, but the actual game showed me other wise.

The Rangers have been barely able to generate anything consistent in the form of offensive pressure while the Caps keep us pinned for minutes at a time.

Had the Rangers had Holtby instead of Lundqvist, the Caps with both games by blow-outs.

The Rangers have not played well defensively. Lundqvist has been, aside form ONE bad goal, the only reason the Rangers weren't blown out of either game.

It's nice being a fan. I get it.

At some point you have to be realistic about what is actually happening on the ice. Something I think you are refusing to do right now.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
They definitely did I agree. They always come out guns blazing and we really can't expect to weather the storm in OT. It's not the time to play that way.

While I agree offensively because not even the largest homer would try argue that, I think we have played better defensively and have done a good job of keeping their big guns in check. OV and Green have one goal a piece while Backstrom, Ribiero, and the others have been quiet. Is that them not playing well or us keeping them in check? I believe it's more us than them, had they just had their way with us and we couldn't contain anyone I would agree with the idea that we are being heavily out played. We're not.

I think our defense has been very overrated, and has been less than stellar up to this point. Guys lose their man when the Caps are transitioning up the ice far too often. We allow the Caps to make cross-crease passes way too easily and Hank has to go post to post 10X per game.

Next, I can't stand the collapsing defensive system. No pressure, not at ES or PK. We let the Caps do whatever they want up high and tee up perfect shots to each other. Remember that PK in game 2 where Backstrom and Green were passing the puck nonchalantly back and forth to each other in the high slot because they knew that the Rangers were sitting back and not pressuring them? If that continues again, be prepared for another shooting gallery by the Capitals today while the Rangers spend 45 second shifts in their end zone.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
We may have it, I've just never heard it before.

Makes much more sense than my definition :nod:

Yes, maybe not a US phrase. We have a joke about cathing up and ketchup as well, but that only makes sense in English. Everybody learns it in kindergarden, laughs very metalic hard, but understands it in English class in highschool in a private, silent and embarrassed moment. I did at least.

Let's Catch up!

toastbag

Apr 23, 2012
I was going to write a long post but this sums everything up:

2ts6l3U.png

Hopefully they score early tonight and wipe that smug look that he has off his face. Need a convincing win tonight to have any hope at all that the season isn't over.

*Bob Richards*

Dunno if you have that expression in the US.

It's when a ketchup bottle gets clogged and you get nothing until it loosens and you get all the contents of the bottle at once.

The Rangers are like the ketchup bottle that refuses to let its contents open up and then misses 90% of its weak perimeter wrist shots while playing a poor transition game.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
Brassard and Kreider are the next Gabby's if Tortorella stays as coach. He doesn't like them, and in the case of Brassard results be damned. Otherwise, how is Richards getting 20-plus minutes of puck fumbling and passes into teammates' feet?

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
The Rangers are like the ketchup bottle that refuses to let its contents open up and then misses 90% of its weak perimeter wrist shots while playing a poor transition game.

Think someone on the board in one of the last games before the play offs had a very bad day at McDonald's or something, and got ketchup all over his player signed jersey? That kinda ketchup you are thinking of maybe. You go to McDonalds, put the little white cup on the table, jerk the handle on the biggest ketchup dispenser in the world and it hits everything but the cup? I am more optimistic though.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
We have to be watching two very different series.

Holtby is barely tested in game 2. The score may show that the game was close, but the actual game showed me other wise.

The Rangers have been barely able to generate anything consistent in the form of offensive pressure while the Caps keep us pinned for minutes at a time.

Had the Rangers had Holtby instead of Lundqvist, the Caps with both games by blow-outs.

The Rangers have not played well defensively. Lundqvist has been, aside form ONE bad goal, the only reason the Rangers weren't blown out of either game.

It's nice being a fan. I get it.

At some point you have to be realistic about what is actually happening on the ice. Something I think you are refusing to do right now.

Can you have a discussion without being condescending? I'm not here to stroke my e-peen, if that's your prerogative so be it.

We disagree, I'm ok with that, when someone's rebuttal is "what games have you been watching", or "we must not be watching the same games" as if they are trying to show their superiority I quickly stop reading.

You like to focus on the negative. I get it.

I think our defense has been very overrated, and has been less than stellar up to this point. Guys lose their man when the Caps are transitioning up the ice far too often. We allow the Caps to make cross-crease passes way too easily and Hank has to go post to post 10X per game.

Next, I can't stand the collapsing defensive system. No pressure, not at ES or PK. We let the Caps do whatever they want up high and tee up perfect shots to each other. Remember that PK in game 2 where Backstrom and Green were passing the puck nonchalantly back and forth to each other in the high slot because they knew that the Rangers were sitting back and not pressuring them? If that continues again, be prepared for another shooting gallery by the Capitals today while the Rangers spend 45 second shifts in their end zone.

Those are some decent examples but they've been the exception not the norm, we have been pretty damn effective keeping Backstrom and Ribiero from making cross ice passes in our zone, they tried it over and over in game one to no avail.

For every bad play I can name a couple solid plays defensively. You're going to see what you want to see, which around here lately, actually all season has been nothing but how bad we are for the most part.

There are things we can build off, positives we can build off that give me a sliver of hope. Will we? Who knows but thats what makes this gut check time for this team. We'll find out if this team has been underachieving if they're really this bad. My gut says they're better than we've seen, my eyes tell me otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad