Was signing Karlsson and letting Pavelski walk a big mistake?

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
I think they made the right decision. Karlsson is going to show us why he was considered the league's best defensemen. A year of playing in the Sharks system and he looks confident out there. I think Pavelski is about to fall off a cliff and at 7M for the next 3 seasons, his contract is going to look ugly. Reminds me of the Marleau contract a bit.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
No they didn’t make a mistake. For at least 3 years, Karlsson should be worth his contract or close to it.

It’s also premature for this as San Jose has only played one of the teams in the West that are a clear tier better than they are. The Sharks aren’t on the level of the Knights/Blues etc. They’ll be fine overall

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I mean come on. I am a vocal sharks detractor, I have always thought of them as over rated even last year, and I didn't think they went anywhere in the playoffs this year either.

However it's been what? 2-3 games? Every single year people over react to these opening stretches. 82 games guys. Had this been in Jan and they lost 3 games, no one would care. A week from now they win 2-3 in a row and half the site will be saying the Sharks will win the cup.

Stop over reacting to small sample sizes in a new season.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Karlsson is a long-term investment. No matter how good you think Pavelki still is and how much influence in the lockerrom he had he's 35 now and the 3 year contract he signed with the Stars more than likely be his last . They're betting on the Karlsson Kane , Couture , Hertl , Meier core to be competetive longer than 3 years. ( I left Burns out on purpose he turns 35 in march doubt he's good for more than 3 years anymore )

Now is that a good bet ? I have no idea. We'll see.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
If you want to win Pavelski >>>>>>Karlsson
Remind me again how many Stanley Cups Pavelski has?
Far too early to read into this imo
In YOUR opinion? Unless it's your first week watching hockey it's too early to read anything into it.
Just looked... a minus 4 on the night.
When it fulfills your narrative +/- is vital. When it does not +/- is a team stat and it's impossible to judge individual players on that alone.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
They already have an offensive minded defenceman. Karlsson is redundant on that team.

Karlsson is lost defensively. Don't care how many points he gets, he is not someone you win with if he's out there against other teams best players. He can't be sheltered because the Sharks really don't have any great defensive defenceman, and no Vlasic isn't it.
plaing 25+minutes a night sheltered?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
plaing 25+minutes a night sheltered?

Shelter is the wrong word but Karlsson needs a safety vale every now and then ( like pretty much every great offensively skilled defenseman ) and Brenden Dillon is not that.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Shelter is the wrong word but Karlsson needs a safety vale every now and then ( like pretty much every great offensively skilled defenseman ) and Brenden Dillon is not that.
You guys faced Vegas twice and im sure vegas is gonna be pissed after what happen last year in the playoff, i think everyone is overreacting

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I still think that Karlsson is the best offensive Dman in the league. But as a Sens fan, its impossible to deny that hes not exactly the same player that he once was.

He plays a way, way more passive game offensively, and his incredible speed and skating are not really a part of his breakout arsenal anymore. At least not to the same degree.

We used to see a few end to end rushes per game - now we rarely see it all. He is not the one man breakout machine that he used to be - there was a period of time that he made skating through the opposing team look like childs play. His attack was nearly unstoppable on the rush. But little by little, injuries have forced him to make adjustments to style of play.

Erik was the best player in the league by a long shot at successfully gaining the opposing teams zone at 5 on 5. Its what made him stand out amongst his peers - he was inarguably the best D at 5 on 5, and he was a dual threat at all times - explosive was a good way to describe him. And I just dont think anyone can seriously say that about him anymore.

His offensive IQ and passing are still among the best of the best, and hes always going to get touches on the puck, and the points will always come in spades for him. Have no fear fantasy peeps.

But his days as a consensus top 5-10 player are now well behind him, and they arent coming back imo. And imo he will have a lot of critics by the end of that contract because his play without the puck what it is at this point - mostly ok but very prone to a big gaff or two on a typical night. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.
EK was certainly better when he was with Ottawa, but he was far from the Godly D you make him out to be when talking about his general qualities at 5v5. IMHO EK was a bit too risky at times and still is, and isnt the strongest guy when it comes with 1v1 and battling in the corners. Sure gaining the offensive zone is one thing he does great but I never thought 'ohh snap EK on the ice my team's in trouble' always thought more like 'EK on the ice we can pressure him and reap on his many mistakes'.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You guys faced Vegas twice and im sure vegas is gonna be pissed after what happen last year in the playoff, i think everyone is overreacting

Not a Sharks fan by the way.

Vegas is elite but the Sharks defense was bad last year as well. I think they where among the worst teams when it comes to preventing high danger chances and the defense or the coaching staff didn't change or even improve

This is not Karlssons fault in any way imho but the way the defense is contructed there's obvious bigtime flaws.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Not a Sharks fan by the way.

Vegas is elite but the Sharks defense was bad last year as well. I think they where among the worst teams when it comes to preventing high danger chances and the defense or the coaching staff didn't change or even improve

This is not Karlssons fault in any way imho but the way the defense is contructed there's obvious bigtime flaws.
Nah Jones just sucks

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Watching him play last night, I didn't see the same guy who was tearing it up middle of last year. He was probably just rusty. The real EK will show up soon enough and this thread will die like it deserves to.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
This problem is seen a lot when a player is on a bad team and does very well and gains a lot of points because he has possession of the puck. However, once they are on a good team they can't perform as well.

That's why Babcock once said that it's more impressive to be the best player on a good team, than a good player on a bad team when referring to Crosby back then.
Uh ok but Ottawa was generally a pretty good team until recently and Pavelski wasn't the best player on the Sharks? Was this meant for a different thread?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad