News: (Warning in OP) Anders Lee "didn't think we'd get to this point". Meeting with other teams.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Lee likely is looking at this being his last lucrative contract so that is why he pushing the term IMO. Lou on the other hand is thinking wow, you know Lee is a decent numbers guy, not GREAT, is a great leader however his style of play does not lend itself to being as productive in the 5, 6, 7 years of a 7 year deal. As such Lou is Leary to sign Lee to a lengthy deal and you know what, I agree with Lou.

I would love Lee to sign with the Hawks but if Stan offered him 6 or 7 per over a 6 or 7 year term I would so hell NO. If Lee would sign a 3-4 year deal for 7.5 I would be hell YA

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I like Lee as much as the next person...but he’s going to be overpaid for too many years. I’d rather use that cap room for other assets, especially since Lee’s playing style will probably slow him down sooner rather than later. I hope he take the best deal he can for himself and his family...I just hope it’s not with us.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I like Lee as much as the next person...but he’s going to be overpaid for too many years. I’d rather use that cap room for other assets, especially since Lee’s playing style will probably slow him down sooner rather than later. I hope he take the best deal he can for himself and his family...I just hope it’s not with us.

If Lee were willing to sign short term for 3/4 years, that would ideal. Bump up the dollars for the shorter term, everyone wins if he is willing to concede some job security on the back end. 3 years @ $9M/per, 4 years @ $8M/per. In the 3 year scenario, maybe he can parlay that into a decent additional contract (either here or elsewhere).

Reactions: Quicklime and SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If Lee were willing to sign short term for 3/4 years, that would ideal. Bump up the dollars for the shorter term, everyone wins if he is willing to concede some job security on the back end. 3 years @ $9M/per, 4 years @ $8M/per. In the 3 year scenario, maybe he can parlay that into a decent additional contract (either here or elsewhere).

I’d do that in a heartbeat. I can understand though why Lee wants the term. This is purely business on both sides. Can’t be mad at Lou and you can’t be mad at Lee. This is just business. If Snow was the GM he would have re-signed Lee for 8 years and 9mil AAV already.

I’m happy Lou is showing discipline. Lee is a beloved islander by his teammates and the fans but that’s not enough to get you a long term deal. At the end of the day a GM has to project and evaluate what you are now and going forward. I think Lee will actually be an effective player for a few more years but he’s not the type
Of player you want to risk paying big bucks for 5+ years.

Love Lee but I’m not mad how this is playing out.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Avs clearing a ton of cap space. I wonder if they'd be in on Lee and Pavelski.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Lee is the big dollar free agent I would be staying away from if I were a gm. I think he'll end up being the lucic/ Erickson of this year's ufa class. Wouldn't touch for over 4 years and would prefer 3. Yea I know that's unrealistic term.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Lee is the big dollar free agent I would be staying away from if I were a gm. I think he'll end up being the lucic/ Erickson of this year's ufa class. Wouldn't touch for over 4 years and would prefer 3. Yea I know that's unrealistic term.
That is a real fear. He wants a deal with term but his style of play lends itself to him looking like Ladd in 4 years. A smart GM is leary of that.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Reminds me a little bit of the Matt Moulson situation a few years back. Tough to look at Lee and decide to give him term, but also tough to ignore that he can score 30+ goals.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Lee of Islanders expects to enter NHL free agency interview period

Potentially two captains leaving in UFA 2 years in a row? Has that ever happened?

Ok, let’s give this one more go after many deleted posts.

- If you see a flame/troll/OT post report it and don’t respond to it.

- Cleaned up thread, all new troll/flame posts get an infraction. Wasted a ton of time cleaning this thread up.

Just have a civil conversation people, stop with the cheap shots back and fourth. This thread is on very thin ice now, 2nd one on the exact same subject in less then 24 hours. First one was shut down bc posters couldn’t control themselves......we will shut this down again if people can’t help themselves again. Just relax people.......finger is hovering over the infraction button.
Can't make business decisions based on optics.

If it costs $7x7 to retain him, I'd much rather just lose two captains in a row

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
But Nelson is younger, plays center, and is an all around better player on the ice than Lee. Nelson plays in all 3 zones.
He only plays like that during contract year. All other years he is a lazy f***er.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He only plays like that during contract year. All other years he is a lazy ****er.

Last year was his most consistent and yes it was a contract year but he’s always been a reliable 2way player. He’s also always good for 20+ goals.

Last year Trotz changed a lot of our players games for the better. Nelson was one of them. Guess what’s really cool? Trotz is and will be our coach for at least another 4 years!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad