News: (Warning in OP) Anders Lee "didn't think we'd get to this point". Meeting with other teams.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I guess Lee is probably looking for a long term deal. 7 X ???. I wouldn't go $7 Million per but I'd go $6 Million AAV. Don't know if it can be structured so he likes it.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Lou has this reputation for playing hardball with his UFA's and them walking as a result.

Bobby Holik in 2002
Scott Niedermayer in 2004
Scott Gomez in 2007
Brian Rafalski in 2007
Brian Gionta in 2009
John Madden in 2009
Zach Parise in 2012

Agreed, but losing some of those guys did hurt the Devils.
It happens, all part of negotiation. Nelson took 6x6 while Hayes cashed in, I'd rather have Nelson. Eberle also took a team friendly deal. Lee and Lehner are welcome back but if they take better contracts elsewhere it just is what it is. A lot of those guys you mentioned didn't have it work out for them. And I'm not saying Lee or Lehner are asking for too much, all we can gather right now is that they are still in contact, no doors are closed, both the team and players want to be back together but the Isles are also talking to premier free agents with intentions.

I don't think this is the same as when Snow lost out on re-signing Nielsen because he wanted to talk to Stamkos. I think the club is in a better position than then.
too bad the isles seem like they are going to lose two captains in consecutive years...

come on over to Chicago for 3 years at 6.8 per
You really think that's a good offer?
What the hell? I actually thought the Islanders would be spending money to take steps forward this off-season. Not backwards.
Think he gets over 6M via free agency?
Yes, easy.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
What the hell? I actually thought the Islanders would be spending money to take steps forward this off-season. Not backwards.
Think he gets over 6M via free agency?
Yes. His goal is probably 7x7. He should get the 7 mil, the term is the question.

broncs918

Mar 26, 2009
Lee has incredible hands and is great off the ice but he isn’t a $7 mil player!
He is a slow skater and a bad defender.
Great guy but one dimensional.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I mean, is Lee really the kinda player you want to give a 7 year (or even 8) deal to ? As much as all Isles fans love the guy and want him back, I don't think I would. And I think Lou feels the same way.

Somebody will offer it to him though

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I haven't watched the Isles play much. Lee is a big guy. How is his speed? He averages 49 points a season so I can't see him commanding a long term deal even if he is entering his prime.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I mean, is Lee really the kinda player you want to give a 7 year (or even 8) deal to ? As much as all Isles fans love the guy and want him back, I don't think I would. And I think Lou feels the same way.

Somebody will offer it to him though
II'd go to 7 if the AAV dropped. No way on 8.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Lee has incredible hands and is great off the ice but he isn’t a $7 mil player!
He is a slow skater and a bad defender.
Great guy but one dimensional.
I just looked up his Corsi. For most of his career he has been Corsi positive. The last two seasons he was under 50% with his Oz% just over 50%. I wouldn't say he is bad defensively. His stats are similar to Mikael Backlunds in terms of points and defence and he is 3 years younger. Backlund signed last year for 6 X 5.35. I really can't see Lee getting much more than that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
II'd go to 7 if the AAV dropped. No way on 8.
With Eberle back for the next 5 years at a very reasonable cap hit. The need of Lee is less. Lee can go to a new team or accept a lesser term and lower cost contract with the Isles. I like the line Lou has set here. There are RFA contracts on the horizon. Barzal and Pulock in particular, I have them as higher priorities.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I understand the Isles being wary about signing Lee to a long term deal. I'm not a huge fan of anyone on that forward group outside of maybe Barzal in terms of throwing big money at them.
Captains pick up and leave all the time, or else get traded - I don't see what the fuss is about that.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
With Eberle back for the next 5 years at a very reasonable cap hit. The need of Lee is less. Lee can go to a new team or accept a lesser term and lower cost contract with the Isles. I like the line Lou has set here. There are RFA contracts on the horizon. Barzal and Pulock in particular, I have them as higher priorities.
I agree, Nelson and Eberle re-upped relatively quickly. I'm still holding out hope we can add Panarin and Lee however. But this is his big contract, if the Isles are offering 6.5-7.5x6 and he can get a 50 million dollar deal over 7 years.. I mean more power to him. Will always love the guy.
I understand the Isles being wary about signing Lee to a long term deal. I'm not a huge fan of anyone on that forward group outside of maybe Barzal in terms of throwing big money at them.
Captains pick up and leave all the time, or else get traded - I don't see what the fuss is about that.
You're not thinking about the 'look'. It won't 'look' good. Bad optics!

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY
Wow. He IMO is exactly the forward NJ needs. Hall-Hischier-Bratt/Palmieri
Lee-Hughes-Palmieri/Bratt
That’s a super complete top 6 and would be amazing to watch. If the Isles don’t offer him what he wants and the devils are willing, why not stick it to Lou by signing in division not far at all from LI. Would make a ton of sense for both sides.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm interested to see where he goes, he'd be a smart signing for Buffalo or Tampa.

I throw Tampa out there because we have heard they are talking to Pavelski, if they can afford Pavelski they can afford Lee

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
You won’t find a better leader and person than than Lee. That’s a fact. Maybe as good but this guy is a natural born leader. Not like 99% of the captains that get the C because they’re the best players on a team.

No. That's an opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad