News: (Warning in OP) Anders Lee "didn't think we'd get to this point". Meeting with other teams.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What the hell? I actually thought the Islanders would be spending money to take steps forward this off-season. Not backwards.
Think he gets over 6M via free agency?

Reactions: MyBudJT

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
pretty shocked. the islanders must be pretty damn sure panarin and/or bobrovsky want to come if theyre going to let lee and lehner walk.

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium
Benning should be all over this

Lee Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Miller
Baertschi Gaudette Virtanen
Roussel Beagle Motte

Let Eriksson's lazy ass ride the bus in Utica

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Maybe he's looking for a Skinner type contract. I'm certainly not OK paying Lee long term and between 7-8 per.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Lee would be smart to see if offersheetageddon actually happens. If say Connor, Laine, Marner or Tkachuk got plucked, it might be that one of those teams would see him as a potential replacement.

Just typing that out makes me wonder if the rumours that Lou would consider pursuing Marner could have anything to do with Lee not being retained...

Reactions: BelovedIsles

DOCHockeyGuy

Jan 8, 2019
Wisconsin
June 26th and people are saying the Islanders aren’t trying to get better.

How soon we forget Eberle and Nelson are both signed to team friendly deals.

There’s a narrative that most other fans want to spread about the Islanders, that these are the same Isles of old and that they’ll slip back into mediocrity. You can believe that all you want, but it doesn’t make it true.

Reactions: MattMartin

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
pretty shocked. the islanders must be pretty damn sure panarin and/or bobrovsky want to come if theyre going to let lee and lehner walk.

Should we just hand Lee a 7+ year deal for 7M+. I think not. We have no idea what is going on right now.

If Lee ends up signing a 7 year deal with 85% bonus money and a NMC I will be more than happy to have passed.

Reactions: MattMartin

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Ahem...July 5th 2018

I mean we don't know what they will do in terms of production this year and Lee's value is at a all time high and Eberle (at the moment) is worth just about what he is getting now (maybe a slight raise) what would you do as of today?

Sign them both
Sign just Eberle
Sign just Lee
Trade them both.

I am worried about Lee's production maybe falling (should I be?) off a bit and teams seeing he as a "product of Tavares". I think I would trade him sooner than later. With that being said I really like Lee , I just don't think his return will get any higher and I just can't see us signing him for the term or money he will be looking for.

When it comes to Eberle, I just don't see it hurting us much to hold on to him til the deadline or possibly resigning him.

Thoughts?

Speculation: - What do we do with with Lee and Eberle?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Benning should be all over this

Lee Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Miller
Baertschi Gaudette Virtanen
Roussel Beagle Motte

Let Eriksson's lazy ass ride the bus in Utica

Actually, I don't think Lee would be a very good fit on that first line. He kind of does the same thing Boeser does just older. Don't think you want two shooters surrounding one playmaker. You need someone else with puck control. He might be a good fit on Vancouver, but not on that line...

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Besides the term (contract play not aging well etc.) that NYI doesn’t want to match, Lou has bigger plans going on here. I suspect he’s rather take the 6-7 mil. he’d give Lee, and put that towards an upgrade.

TonySoprano

Apr 20, 2019
Satriale's
Lou has this reputation for playing hardball with his UFA's and them walking as a result.

Bobby Holik in 2002
Scott Niedermayer in 2004
Scott Gomez in 2007
Brian Rafalski in 2007
Brian Gionta in 2009
John Madden in 2009
Zach Parise in 2012

Lou ponied up for Scott Niedermeyer and offered more than the Ducks, Scott turned down more money to play with his brother

Parise wanted to go play with his bff in Minny, Lou had no shot. Lou tried to sign Suter but he did not want to play in NJ so ZP11 ran off to the wilderness

Besides that all those guys got BRUTAL contracts, even Parise's is terrible but the Wild got decent seasons from him in the first few

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

I'm not shocked, but I'm surely sweating this out. Snow played with fire and got burned when he was thinking about Stamkos and ended up losing Nielsen. The big fish signed on the eave of free agency and Nielsen had already had time to meet with other teams and got coaxed right off the island. I think it helps that I don't think Lee or Lehner are elite nor replacing them would be a tall task. I'm fine with keeping both, I'm fine with losing both as well. I guess i'm in the crowd where if losing Lee and Lehner because we tried to hit a home run is the outcome, I'm glad we went for it. If the team takes as step back....that's okay. I didn't expect them to do as well as they did last season and I'm confident in the coach and gm for once that i'm willing to let their plan play out. Hell, I had a lot of patience with Snow, more than most Isle's fans.

My guess is LL just handled this professionally and told both that he wants to explore opportunities to improve the team and he's hoping to bring them both back, but he's got to do his due diligence as he's paid to do. Probably both Lehner and Lee responded in kind and they'll do the same. Just have to see how it plays out. Don't think they would have signed either to eight years so that's not going to effect LL.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Well Anders, when your GM is senile and washed up, gives absurd contracts to players like Nelson and Eberle, there isn't much money left over for you. That's what happens when your GM should be in a condo, in Florida playing bingo.

Reactions: Heart of Vukota

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Well Anders, when your GM is senile and washed up, gives absurd contracts to players like Nelson and Eberle, there isn't much money left over for you. That's what happens when your GM should be in a condo, in Florida playing bingo.
LOL, Eberle is an "absurd" contract? You are talking Eberle and Nelson as absurd... but you would advocate paying Lee 7-8 mil over 7 years???? Riiiiiiiight

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I really want him back but I fear he'll get old really fast, he was also a no-show in the playoffs and didn't gel well with Barzal. Shelling out a lot for him would be like the Ladd, Lucic or Neal contracts all over again.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I really want him back but I fear he'll get old really fast, he was also a no-show in the playoffs and didn't gel well with Barzal. Shelling out a lot for him would be like the Ladd, Lucic or Neal contracts all over again.
I agree. Capspace and term is more valuable. We saw this already this spring before and at the draft. The Leafs gave up a first rd pick that is unprotected that could be in play in 2021 for just 1 year at 6.25M of cap relief. GM's that guard capspace should be commended.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
It would be fun to see him in Detroit help the young kids. I'm not sure of a 7 x 7M deal, though.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Absurd takes like this remind me why i should stay off the main boards...

the takes that Nellson and Eberlie are on bad deals is wrong, but its pretty universally said that Lou is not the Lou from 10 years ago. the NHL has passed him by.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad