News: (Warning in OP) Anders Lee "didn't think we'd get to this point". Meeting with other teams.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
How did the Islanders make Brock Nelson a priority and not Anders Lee?

I'm not sure they made any of the UFA's a priority. They came up with a number and offered it to them, Nelson and Eberle either accepted the initial offer, or were close enough to mend the gap. Anders Lee wants either more money or years or both.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I would be fine with Tampa offering him 6 x 6, but wouldn't want to give him a full NMC. Maybe a modified NTC with a 8 team no-trade list that starts after the expansion draft.

Based on the contracts Nelson and Eberle got, I'd bet if 6X6 was good enough for Lee he'd be signed already. There's no way they didn't at least offer Anders the same contract as Nelson (6X6)

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Because Eberle accepted an offer lower than what Lee wants? I'm pretty sure if Lee was willing to take $5.5 million per year, the deal would be done by now.
I'd focus on getting the better player and captain of my team signed first before a complementary piece.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Lee deserves the Stasny/van Riemsdyk treatment in my opinion. Above market value AAV for short term. 7.5m x 4y is what his production, age, and play style has earned.

Although I wouldn't fault the Islanders for saying "No" to that based on their awful cap structure. And anybody who would give him more than 5 years is a damn fool.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Lee deserves the Stasny/van Riemsdyk treatment in my opinion. Above market value AAV for short term. 7.5m x 4y is what his production, age, and play style has earned.

It would be done already if that was the case. Lee wants term

Although I wouldn't fault the Islanders for saying "No" to that based on their awful cap structure. And anybody who would give him more than 5 years is a damn fool.

Agree about the more than five years part. I don't get the awful cap structure. They're 23M under the cap and they don't have any contracts over 6M currently. The only bad contracts with term is Ladd and Boychuk. At least Boychuk's still productive.

Their defense is set for a long time.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

Your proposed contract would be ideal. He's def aiming for seven years though.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I'd focus on getting the better player and captain of my team signed first before a complementary piece.
They've been at this all year. IIRC they didn't even talk to Eberle about an extension during the season, priority has been Lee. Lee wants something like 7x7, Isles aren't comfortable about that, and they've probably been going back and forth all year over that. Meanwhile, they probably faxed their first offer to Eberle after the season ended and that was good enough for him.

Anyway, nothing about "focus" here. It's two sides playing chicken over contract term and we'll see who blinks.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
It would be done already if that was the case. Lee wants term

Agree about the more than five years part. I don't get the awful cap structure. They're 23M under the cap and they don't have any contracts over 6M currently. The only bad contracts with term is Ladd and Boychuk. At least Boychuk's still productive.

Their defense is set for a long time.
Ladd is a candidate for LTIR. If the cap gets tight, the team's defense prospect pipeline gives them the flexibility to get out of jail by moving valuable, still productive players like Leddy and Hickey without missing a beat on the ice. Martin and Greiss come off the roster next season as well. All of that accounts for nearly 14M of cap flexibility, if needed, and over 19M if Ladd is LTIR'd. And that's on top of the 20M they have open right now. Bottom line, the Islanders are in far better shape cap wise than a lot of teams in the league.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Will be interesting to see, if Islanders do sign Panarin, would Lee be willing to take less money and term to captain a legit contender.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Lee is not "better" than Eberle... just a WAY different player. Lee is about as complementary piece as one can be in the NHL. I love the guy but doesnt carry the puck, doesnt kill penalties, is poor on defense. He is elite within 15ft of the net.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
One team fans think we will turn on Lee if he left is actually hilarious. We love Lee and if he gets paid good on him. This will be his only contract to get a big payday and that's completely understandable. I personally don't want a power forward signed for 7 years til the age of 36 while the NHL gets faster. Lee was always slow and in 3 years it will only be worse. With this being said, he deserves to test the waters and if someone signs him for 7 years no problem from me. He is a real good player and seems like a heck of a guy and a great leader.

Reactions: PWJunior

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

He'll have multiple 6 year (maybe 7) offers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad