News: (Warning in OP) Anders Lee "didn't think we'd get to this point". Meeting with other teams.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Lee wants to stay with NYI. Just like Nelson did. Just like Eberle did.

It's just that the open market value of a player like this may surpass by far what he's worth.

Reactions: Quicklime

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Buffalo is calling you...come on down!
Get in there Sabres
We need a center...I'm pretty sure Anders Lee has been a winger.

Vanek and Pominville right?

Either that or Vanek and OTT
Drury and Briere lol
Vanek and Ott were both traded at the same trade deadline...Drury and Briere were lost in the offseason. (But Drury was the captain, Briere was the alternate.)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Would love Lee for he Avs PP, it’s the times where he’s not on the PP that would make me hesitate. Not sure he’d fit in well with the team 5on5 with the chaotic speed game the Avs tend to play.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Lee is a target for Sakic. He would give Colorado an element they lack and is a high character guy. If they are willing to go 7 years, I think Lee would be ready to sign the dotted line.

He’s never had a big pay day, and I think Lou is being smart here and is not looking to get involved in another Ladd/Lucic type contract.

Reactions: 12Dog

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
And if he doesn't the Islanders struggle even more to score goals.
Depends on what happens in the rest of the off season. Team has over $20M in cap. It's doubtful that they let Lee go and just not do anything to replace him.

But let's say that is the case. So what? Team takes a step back and they regroup in the 2020 offseason.

Lee's a good player, but he's no PJ Boy. Not a player who you should have an unlimited budget for.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Dude you'd be great in the media. That's all PR fluff.

He isn't signing Lee or Lehner yet, there is mutual interest on both sides. He's big fish hunting right now for the breadman and keeping options open for goaltending.

Lou has this reputation for playing hardball with his UFA's and them walking as a result.

Bobby Holik in 2002
Scott Niedermayer in 2004
Scott Gomez in 2007
Brian Rafalski in 2007
Brian Gionta in 2009
John Madden in 2009
Zach Parise in 2012

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
Lou has this reputation for playing hardball with his UFA's and them walking as a result.

Bobby Holik in 2002
Scott Niedermayer in 2004
Scott Gomez in 2007
Brian Rafalski in 2007
Brian Gionta in 2009
John Madden in 2009
Zach Parise in 2012

And most of those guys got paid WAY too much as UFAs. So Lou probably mostly did the right thing there. Niedermeyer might be the only one worth breaking the bank for, there.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The point isn't that the Islanders should overpay Lee just because they have other bad contracts. My point is I feel like they prioritized their cap space poorly, and now are going to lose Lee over financial concerns. I don't think overpaying him is the answer necessarily, but it's a bad spot to be in if he leaves. If the Islanders had to give out a little extra money to a player to ensure they stay, I would've thought Lee would make sense as that guy as opposed to several lesser players.

?? If you go to the store and there is last years floor model television on the shelf, but they want regular price for it, does it mean you have financial concerns if you don't buy it? That's not financial concerns, that's financial common sense. If the Islanders let Lee walk it will have nothing to do with "financial concerns" but everything to do with them not seeing the value in the contract he's asking for. You are really wording things a strange way.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
too bad the isles seem like they are going to lose two captains in consecutive years...

come on over to Chicago for 3 years at 6.8 per

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
It's possible he could be worth more to another team than he is to the Islanders. It would be imprudent for them to sign him based on how important he is to a team with fewer options and more cap flexibility. For his part it'd be stupid (not disloyal) to just sign what the Islanders tell him they can afford.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Reminds me a little bit of the Matt Moulson situation a few years back. Tough to look at Lee and decide to give him term, but also tough to ignore that he can score 30+ goals.

Right, and then Moulson went on to sign a pretty decent size contract and is now getting paid 6 million a year to play in the AHL. I don't see Lee degrading as badly as Moulson, but he'll certainly degrade on par with Ladd.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not sure why you'd sign Eberle before Lee. Eberle is a "nice to have" player, Lee is more of a central part of your team IMO.

Pumpkin Pal

Oct 17, 2014
It would be close to Benning level awful if they lose Lee because of the contract they gave to Nelson.

this post is Benning level of analysis.

The term with Lee is what is really scary. As others have said, Lee is the kind of guy who does NOT age gracefully in any way. And he's already a poor skater in a league that keeps getting faster. I love the guy, but I want absolutely no part of a 6 or 7 year deal.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
too bad the isles seem like they are going to lose two captains in consecutive years...

He did go to college near Chicago so probably would not mind if they offer the term he is looking for. A very good person off the ice and well liked by his teammates and fans. He even liked one of my twit to him before he made the Isles NHL team. He has intangibles that goes with good athletic build and instinct. Takes a lot of punishment and risk being hit by pucks with his net presence.

He was actually a real good football player too. I watched some of his football highlight and was enlightened by one of his home made video joking about his love of multiple sports.

If he leaves Isles, definitely as a fan I will miss him but at the same I would wish him well as he has given back a lot to the community.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Lee at 29 (in a few days) is probably looking for a 6+ year deal. I doubt the NYI and Lee are this far apart over 1 million or so in salary. It's likely term that's the issue.

Reactions: MattMartin

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If he values loyalty so much, then this negotiation really shouldn't be all that difficult and he should be willing to sign for a reasonable contract with the only team he's ever known.

Unless, of course, his veiled shot at Tavares earlier in the season has the end result of his own foot in his mouth.

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
I see Canucks and Avalanche as potential candidates to pick up Lee.
Canucks just traded for JT Miller and adding Lee would solidify their top 6, not to mention it will make the loss of the 1st round pick from the Miller trade to be more palatable.
Avalanche has one of the most, if not the most, cap space out of all the teams. Also, I'd reckon they would be looking for secondary scoring beyond their top 3.
However, whether Lee is willing to move to the west or not is another story though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad