Confirmed with Link: Walman signed to 3x3.4 extension

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Walman-Seider, Maatta-Hronek, Edvinsson-??? is going to be a really good defense next year.

I hope we can dump Chiarot on someone at the deadline. Retain half his salary and ship him out for a 2nd.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Walman-Seider, Maatta-Hronek, Edvinsson-??? is going to be a really good defense next year.

I hope we can dump Chiarot on someone at the deadline. Retain half his salary and ship him out for a 2nd.
He is fine on 3rd.

Hagg went from -8 to +2. Smart coach scratches him and we lose 2. This coach is ...

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Been sick all day, was nice waking up to this. The mega man villian!

mgs32.png

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

We should add schmaltz from arizona if the price is cheap. He is only a -1 in 43 games for a bottom 5 team. Really not bad at all.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
We should add schmaltz from arizona if the price is cheap. He is only a -1 in 43 games for a bottom 5 team. Really not bad at all.
Schmaltz doesn't even play C anymore. Pass.

I don't see any forwards I would want to touch at this deadline. If anything, dump Bertuzzi, Vrana and Chiarot, pick up Chychrun or Gostisbehere, promote Edvinsson and bring over Kaspar.

Kubalik-Larkin-Raymond
Berggren-Copp-Perron
Fabbri-Kaspar-Veleno
Soderblom-Sundqvist-Zadina(Rasmussen when he returns)
Suter

Maatta-Seider
Walman-Hronek
Gost-Edvinsson
Hagg

Give Wallinder a year in the AHL, hope you can sign some decent forwards in the offseason. If Wallinder is as good as hoped, you have a lot of extra good D you can move for a center.

Last edited:

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
The Wings lock up a young top four defenseman on the same day that Holland mortgages the Oilers' future for an aging second pairing defenseman.

You love to see it.

The Chiarot experiment has been a mistake, and with Edvinsson all but certain to make the jump to the NHL next season, there's no shame in cutting the cord on Chiarot. There's gotta be someone who'd be willing to take him, even if it means that the Wings have to retain some salary.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Teams should always strive for L-R pairings in the modern NHL, and that's what they do. But, the reality is that there are more LH NHL-caliber defensemen in the world than there are RH. And, yes, there are a few lefties who prefer to play the right side. So yes, it's often that teams have only 2 righties, because ultimately you're right, you're not going to dress a shitty righty over a serviceable lefty, if the only penalty is having the lefty play his off-side.

Right now, the Wings have 5 worthwhile NHL defensemen on the roster. Three lefties and two righties. If they were trying to upgrade on the trio of misfit toys currently occupying the 6th spot, they should try to add a righty. But if a lefty were the best option, so be it.

Also, last time we won the Cup we absolutely had three righties. Rafalski, Cheli, and..... Garret Stafford played 2 games :p:

Always going to be this way. Way more people shoot left for whatever their reasons are, which means a lot of them need to learn the opposite side. I have been playing historical 80-90s era in FHM 9, and seeing a ton of teams that have at least 5 regulars that shoot left and some teams all 6 do and yet they made it work. Babcock was obsessed with it as others have said, but he only won 1 Cup here, so not sure it matters that much in the end.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Sweet deal. This is gonna be a great value if he continues playing like a top 3 d on his last year of the deal to potentially snag a center from due to his aav.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Your contention is the last 2 defeats were because Robert Hagg was scratched?
He seems intent on blaming coaching for everything, down to which mediocre sixth defenseman is active on any given night.

I don't understand the pairings either. But these two games are 99.9% on the players for completely stinking it up. Lalonde isn't on the ice, throwing blind passes or standing around to cough up a dozen breakaways per game.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Always going to be this way. Way more people shoot left for whatever their reasons are, which means a lot of them need to learn the opposite side. I have been playing historical 80-90s era in FHM 9, and seeing a ton of teams that have at least 5 regulars that shoot left and some teams all 6 do and yet they made it work. Babcock was obsessed with it as others have said, but he only won 1 Cup here, so not sure it matters that much in the end.
It's almost surprising the discrepancy isn't greater in favor of lefties. Non-hockey players often don't quite get this, or are surprised, but if you're right-handed you should almost certainly be playing hockey left-handed, and vice-versa. You get far more benefit from your dominant hand being at the top of the stick, where it influences so much more of what is going on (torque, directional change, load-bearing, etc). And since 90% of the world is right-handed, it's a little strange that only ~60% of the NHL is left-handed (there are a number of theories to explain this, but I won't get into those).

It's also true that, while the ratios in the general population of hockey players have remained consistent for decades, the % of righties in the NHL has gone up slightly. My guess on that is, as offensive and defensive systems developed in hockey over time, righties were getting increased opportunities, in order to fill what was effectively a quota for those systems to be optimal. In fact, the % of righties in the NHL, among NAs at least, is higher than it is in the general hockey population (this can be demonstrated by comparing the % easily sorted among all NHL rosters vs. overall stick sales). And as more righties were propelled upward, those offensive and defensive systems that required more righties became easier to fill out. It was basically a feedback loop.

Anyway, by applying the 3:2 ratio of lefties to righties in the NHL, and assuming that's true of defensemen (I don't know the breakdown by position, but it stands to reason), you would expect 12 teams to have 3 lefties and 3 righties in their top-6, and 18 teams to have 4 lefties and 2 righties. So, yeah, it's always going to be the case, and for most teams.

But, the way hockey is played now, especially in the NHL, if you have two groups of defensemen who are all exactly equal, and one group is 4:2 lefty-righty, and the other is 3:3, you'll want the 3:3 every time. I'd bet a hefty sum every NHL coach would say the same. Babcock maybe stressed it more and was actually open about it, but he was right. There's just no benefit to having two lefties together, except maybe in the increasingly rare case where a guy is clearly better on his off-side.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Now if only they had the right forward group to support that defense...

Copp plays a good defensive game. Perron makes smart passes in his own zone for the most part. Veleno is becoming much improved in his own zone, and Sunny is a battler. But most of the team's forwards are not realgud defensively. Even Larkin.

Hopefully Kasper coming in helps things a bit. He can really break up cycles and tilt the ice.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So I was looking at the 5 on 5 stats for our top 4 defenseman and...

Shot Diff 5 on 5
Walman +53
Seider -36
Maattaa - 89
Chiarot -125

CF%
Walman 49.79%
Maatta 47.03%
Seider 46.06%
Chiarot 42.17%

Is this sustainable? Is Jake Walman....good?

It is not like he has a much higher offensive zone start % either. Everyone is around the same.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Shot Diff 5 on 5
Walman +53
Seider -36
Maattaa - 89
Chiarot -125

CF%
Walman 49.79%
Maatta 47.03%
Seider 46.06%
Chiarot 42.17%

It is not like he has a much higher offensive zone start % either. Everyone is around the same.
I'd like to see those numbers before and after they broke up Seider and Chiarot.

Reactions: Oddbob

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
He’s gotta be a lock for the Canadian WC team. Hell of a year for Jake + his GM and former GM are managing the team. No way he isn’t on the roster unless he doesn’t want to play(which would surprise me)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Shot Diff 5 on 5
Walman +53
Seider -36
Maattaa - 89
Chiarot -125

CF%
Walman 49.79%
Maatta 47.03%
Seider 46.06%
Chiarot 42.17%

Walman is the only one who has not had to stick with Chiarot for any length of time. Think that is why Seider's numbers are down. Maatta was doing great until he went with Chiarot and his season has kind of fallen apart since then, although he is also babysitting Oesterle as well. I don't think Chiarot outright sucks, but for whatever reason, he hasn't worked well with anyone this year. Seider, then Hronek, then Maatta and now injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad