Confirmed with Link: Walman signed to 3x3.4 extension

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
There was someone in the thread nitpicking and saying that the Walman contract isn't really a steal because it's only 3 years.
Well, he didn't bring that up out of nowhere, and he was right. If we take a poll to the main boards, I don't think Walman is winning the vote as a top-3 bargain contract in the league. And that is FAR from being "upset" about Walman's contract.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
They have been playing the shutdown role for this team.

Also, I've noticed that they seem to be the primary defensive pair on the ice when our 4th line is out. I don't have the breakdown but I'd bet that at least 70% of the shifts that 4th line takes has Walman-Seider on with them.

There was someone in the thread nitpicking and saying that the Walman contract isn't really a steal because it's only 3 years.
I've similarly noticed being annoyed when the top line is really working a shift and on the cycle they toss it back to Maatta or Holl who can do nothing with the opportunity. It's frustrating to waste a great shift by the top line and not have Mo/Walman out there supporting them.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
What do they say exactly? I'll admit I haven't seen every game but I've seen most. Maybe I'm just emphasizing a few bad turnovers moreso in my mind than the majority of his work. I thought he was better last season so far though.

Defensive Pairs - Natural Stat Trick

The fact that they have a CF and fenwick above 50% while getting 37.74% ozone starts is incredible. They're being used as a shutdown pair that transitions to offense at a better rate than most.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I've similarly noticed being annoyed when the top line is really working a shift and on the cycle they toss it back to Maatta or Holl who can do nothing with the opportunity. It's frustrating to waste a great shift by the top line and not have Mo/Walman out there supporting them.

And that could be the strategy that stops the 4th line from being scored on at will like last season. It sucks that its a negative for the first line but the defense added helps.

How many times last year did we see a combo of Oesterle, Chiarot, Berggren, Pius Suter, Zadina, Hagg, Lindstrom and Erne get scored on at will last year? It was painful.

Reactions: Sentinel

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Defensive Pairs - Natural Stat Trick

The fact that they have a CF and fenwick above 50% while getting 37.74% ozone starts is incredible. They're being used as a shutdown pair that transitions to offense at a better rate than most.

Chychrun at the top certainly is interesting. Yes I know, Ken Holland would have never picked him anyway and moving Datsyuk's contact gave us a shot at signing Steven Stamkos. ;)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Walman’s a pretty good 2 way defenseman, has good chemistry with Mo, and is a pretty good value.

All I’m all I’m happy to have him.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Chychrun at the top certainly is interesting. Yes I know, Ken Holland would have never picked him anyway and moving Datsyuk's contact gave us a shot at signing Steven Stamkos. ;)

That's a goals above replacement chart. He's the top goalscoring defenseman in the league right now so that might skew it.

Plays a lot with Chabot, Hamonic or Bernard-Docker. Not very consistent D partners. I think it's only a matter of time before he goes the way of DeBrincat. It might be the smart thing for both parties.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
That's a goals above replacement chart. He's the top goalscoring defenseman in the league right now so that might skew it.

Plays a lot with Chabot, Hamonic or Bernard-Docker. Not very consistent D partners. I think it's only a matter of time before he goes the way of DeBrincat. It might be the smart thing for both parties.
Yeah, not going to derail the thread, just seeing him up there was interesting.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I said no such thing

I said it's not literally one of the top 3 best contracts in the league because it's only 3 years

there's a big difference there, I even said it was a good contract in the same post

it's probably still a better contract than like half the teams in the league have though if you want me to put more of a number on that(if not an exact one because I don't really feel like looking at every contract in the league)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I said no such thing

I said it's not literally one of the top 3 best contracts in the league because it's only 3 years

there's a big difference there, I even said it was a good contract in the same post

it's probably still a better contract than like half the teams in the league have though if you want me to put more of a number on that(if not an exact one because I don't really feel like looking at every contract in the league)

How many #2 defensemen in the league are on sub 4 million contracts?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
How many #2 defensemen in the league are on sub 4 million contracts?

which is why it's still one of the better contracts in the league

having Walman at a bargain for 3 years still doesn't compete with having guys like Hughes,Thompson, or Stutzle at a similar bargain for 7-8 though(with higher numbers in actual and expected contract values since they're elite 1Cs not 2Ds)

and there's so many other great deals around the league, here's just a few quick examples of some other longer term deals: Ryan Pulock plays 25 minutes a night for the Islanders and is locked up at 6.15 for the next 7 years, Hampus Lindholm is signed for 7 years at 6,5, Joel-Eriksson-Ek is Minnesota's 1C at this point and is currently locked up for 6 years at 5.25, Jesper Bratt has 20 points in 12 games so far this year and he's locked up at 7.8 for 8 years ,Kotkaniemi is a name to watch he's locked up for 7 years at 4.8 and is at 12 points in 12 games so far this year at 23, RNH just had 100 points last year and is locked up for 6 years at 5.125, Ryan Graves plays 21 minutes a night in Pittsburgh and is locked up for 4.5 for 6 years

how about some other deals a little shorter than 6-8 years? Joshua Morrissey is locked up for 5 years at 6.25, Rasmus Andersson is Calgary's 1D and is locked up for 3 years at 4.55, how about Quinn Hughes and his Norris level play this year locked up at 7.85 for 4 years? Clayton Keller at 7.15 for 5 years? how about Alex Tuch and his 3 years at 4.75? Jakob Chychrun and his 2 years at 4.6? John Marino and Brandon Carlo are both pretty similar level guys to Walman and make an extra less than a million AAV but also have an extra year on their deals compared to him so those are pretty much washes with the Walman deal as well

and this is just scratching the surface, you could nitpick some of these sure but there's also a lot more I could have named that an argument could be made for

honestly looking at it more maybe my initial gut feeling of it being somewhere in the 10-20 range was even a bit too high

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Nine, not counting ELCs.

How many of them are realgud?

which is why it's still one of the better contracts in the league

having Walman at a bargain for 3 years still doesn't compete with having guys like Hughes,Thompson, or Stutzle at a similar bargain for 7-8 though(with higher numbers in actual and expected contract values since they're elite 1Cs not 2Ds)

and there's so many other great deals around the league, here's just a few quick examples of some other longer term deals: Ryan Pulock plays 25 minutes a night for the Islanders and is locked up at 6.15 for the next 7 years, Hampus Lindholm is signed for 7 years at 6,5, Joel-Eriksson-Ek is Minnesota's 1C at this point and is currently locked up for 6 years at 5.25, Jesper Bratt has 20 points in 12 games so far this year and he's locked up at 7.8 for 8 years ,Kotkaniemi is a name to watch he's locked up for 7 years at 4.8 and is at 12 points in 12 games so far this year at 23, RNH just had 100 points last year and is locked up for 6 years at 5.125, Ryan Graves plays 21 minutes a night in Pittsburgh and is locked up for 4.5 for 6 years

how about some other deals a little shorter than 6-8 years? Joshua Morrissey is locked up for 5 years at 6.25, Rasmus Andersson is Calgary's 1D and is locked up for 3 years at 4.55, how about Quinn Hughes and his Norris level play this year locked up at 7.85 for 4 years? Clayton Keller at 7.15 for 5 years? how about Alex Tuch and his 3 years at 4.75? Jakob Chychrun and his 2 years at 4.6? John Marino and Brandon Carlo are both pretty similar level guys to Walman and make an extra less than a million AAV but also have an extra year on their deals compared to him so those are pretty much washes with the Walman deal as well

and this is just scratching the surface, you could nitpick some of these sure but there's also a lot more I could have named that an argument could be made for

honestly looking at it more maybe my initial gut feeling of it being somewhere in the 10-20 range was even a bit too high

How many of them have a celly game like Walman?

Reactions: Realgud

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I was hoping we’d go after Durzi to replace Hronek…

Imagine if Stevie traded for Durzi instead of signing Holl.... the defense would have more fire power than the Sharks' entire team including the forwards.

Then Stevie could have drafted Moore instead of ASP, since the team would be loaded on defense.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
The St. Louis Blues traded Walman to the Red Wings in March 2022 along with forward Oskar Sundqvist and a 2023 second-round pick in exchange for Nick Leddy and Luke Witkowski. The Blues drafted Walman in the third round in 2014.

The Minnesota Wild acquired center Oskar Sundqvist from the Detroit Red Wings in exchange for a fourth-round pick in this year's draft, the teams announced Friday

Leddy is still with the Blues and Wit is out of the NHL (AHL player).

This deal worked out well for the Wings.

{Toss in Fabrri for de la Rose and the Wings need to call the Blues more often.}

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And that could be the strategy that stops the 4th line from being scored on at will like last season. It sucks that its a negative for the first line but the defense added helps.
Yeah. That's the balance what winning teams will have.

2008 Red Wings used most Lebda-Lilja behind Z-Dats-Homer. Kronner-Stuart behind Filppula. And then Lidström-Rafalski double-shifting behind the 3-4 lines.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
What would you guys call him talent-wise? #3 dman? #4 dman? Top pairing? Bottom pairing? And where do you see him on this team long term?

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
What would you guys call him talent-wise? #3 dman? #4 dman? Top pairing? Bottom pairing? And where do you see him on this team long term?
Plays like a #2. Either long term playing top pair with Seider. Or rolling 2nd pair with Edvisson or Sandin-Pellika

Reactions: jkutswings

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Solid defensive #2/3 guy that can skate and transition the puck well. He and Seider are kind of a poor man’s Seabrook/Keith pairing.

Reactions: jkutswings

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I had not idea until now that Walman got fined for that crosscheck the other night.

I'm ok with fining him if they continue to punish sticks to the head this way. But the DoPS fining a couple thousand dollars more for a baseball swing to the head by Trouba is friggin ridiculous.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad