Confirmed with Link: Walman signed to 3x3.4 extension

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think Yzerman gets enough credit for finding Walman. 6 points in 12 GP this year and playing over 20 minutes a night.

Yzerman traded a 2nd round pick for Nick Leddy. Fans were furious. :D

Later on Yzerman traded Leddy + Witkowski, for Walman + 2nd + Sundqvist.

Later on, he traded Sundqvist for 4th rounder.

So in general, Yzerman traded Luke Witkowski <> Walman + 4th. :D

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't think Yzerman gets enough credit for finding Walman. 6 points in 12 GP this year and playing over 20 minutes a night.
During the game last night they mentioned how Yzerman noticed Walman all the way back in his college days and said he thinks this guy has more offense in him, he just hadn't gotten the opportunity.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Not only do I feel that Walman compliments Seider nicely, he has some great scoring ability too... and let's face it, his celebrations are top notch. I almost can't wait to see how he'll top the Griddy from last season.

Reactions: Sentinel

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
It's funny that the rest of the fanbases have the time of day to be criticizing Stevie for most of his trades and signings (as if a rebuilding team signing stopgaps was a bad thing?). However, amidst any flaming hot takes they may have, they completely overlook the impact that Walman has here. Not only relieving our best D from that boat anchor last year, but his play and how he's continued on to this year too.

Case in point that people take the easy route and judge, rather than take the time to watch the player. Or even simply take Wings fans word for it that he's actually playing as a solid supporting top pair guy. Who knows how long it lasts, but he's 27. Contract value going nicely thus far.

Reactions: Sentinel

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's funny that the rest of the fanbases have the time of day to be criticizing Stevie for most of his trades and signings (as if a rebuilding team signing stopgaps was a bad thing?). However, amidst any flaming hot takes they may have, they completely overlook the impact that Walman has here. Not only relieving our best D from that boat anchor last year, but his play and how he's continued on to this year too.

Case in point that people take the easy route and judge, rather than take the time to watch the player. Or even simply take Wings fans word for it that he's actually playing as a solid supporting top pair guy. Who knows how long it lasts, but he's 27. Contract value going nicely thus far.
Stevie also signed that boat anchor. His RFA deals aside from Zadina are good, his UFA deals not so much aside from re-signing DBoss.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This one move accelerated the rebuild by like 2 years lol

Is Walman our own Devon Toews?

Stevie also signed that boat anchor. His RFA deals aside from Zadina are good, his UFA deals not so much aside from re-signing DBoss.

UFA deals not good?'

Only deal you can blame is Chiarot. Nothing else.

Rest of the 10 deals have been just fine and improving the team. Kubalik was 50/50, but then you got him loaded for DeBrincat. No one ever believes for that trade until it happens.

Last edited:

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I almost can't wait to see how he'll top the Griddy from last season.
We have a winner here
daniel-garcia-dance-daniel-garcia-mjf.gif

NFL guys already doing it

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I actually feel like Walman's had a shaky start to the season in his own zone. He's been better recently but man he and Seider were struggling back there. Still love the trade and contract but I think this praise is a bit early.

Reactions: Henkka

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Is Walman our own Devon Toews?

UFA deals not good?'

Only deal you can blame is Chiarot. Nothing else.

Rest of the 10 deals have been just fine and improving the team. Kubalik was 50/50, but then you got him loaded for DeBrincat. No one ever believes for that trade until it happens.
Copp, Chiarot, and Holl all get paid above their play. And acquiring one too many D is preventing Ed from playing in the NHL.

On a lesser note because they're cheap but play like AHLers: ZAR, Fischer, Hagg, Pysyk.

Compher, Sprong and Ghost contracts I like, so I guess there's a few UFA contracts I like.

• Haha
Reactions: Ricelund

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Copp, Chiarot, and Holl all get paid above their play. And acquiring one too many D is preventing Ed from playing in the NHL.

On a lesser note because they're cheap but play like AHLers: ZAR, Fischer, Hagg, Pysyk.

Compher, Sprong and Ghost contracts I like, so I guess there's a few UFA contracts I like.

Compher has been pretty damn solid so far and quietly putting up some solid offensive numbers in spite of playing with Copp and Ras. Ghost has been fantastic, he moves the puck so well from the point on the power play, I'd say he's a huge reason our powerplay has been so dominant, and Sprong is icing on the cake. The Copp contract is the one that concerns me the most. We need another legit 2nd line winger to bump him down the lineup asap.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I actually feel like Walman's had a shaky start to the season in his own zone. He's been better recently but man he and Seider were struggling back there. Still love the trade and contract but I think this praise is a bit early.

Fancy stats say otherwise. And you're forgetting that Walman-Seider are playing THE BEST competition from the opposition. Many times with Detroit's 3rd and 4th lines on the ice. That matters.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Fancy stats say otherwise. And you're forgetting that Walman-Seider are playing THE BEST competition from the opposition. Many times with Detroit's 3rd and 4th lines on the ice. That matters.

That pair's Ozone start % is like 42%, a solid 10-15% below other top pairs around the league. Guys like Makar and Hughes have nearly a 60% Ozone start rate.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Are people really, really upset about a d-man making $3.4m per year who plays 20 mins a night, is poised to put up 40 points and go +28? That's certainly a take.
This is the internet. People will get upset over anything. We could bring McDavid in for 8 years at $6.5 per year and someone would find something to nitpick.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

What do they say exactly? I'll admit I haven't seen every game but I've seen most. Maybe I'm just emphasizing a few bad turnovers moreso in my mind than the majority of his work. I thought he was better last season so far though.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Are people really, really upset about a d-man making $3.4m per year who plays 20 mins a night, is poised to put up 40 points and go +28? That's certainly a take.
I'm so confused. Do you just see a thread bumped and have a reflex reaction and assume people are complaining about him?

The thread was brought up to praise him, and everyone has followed suit

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm so confused. Do you just see a thread bumped and have a reflex reaction and assume people are complaining about him?

Maybe he confused the dead horse bring nothing to the conversation complaint about Chiarot's contract as one about Walman?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
That pair's Ozone start % is like 42%, a solid 10-15% below other top pairs around the league. Guys like Makar and Hughes have nearly a 60% Ozone start rate.

They have been playing the shutdown role for this team.

Also, I've noticed that they seem to be the primary defensive pair on the ice when our 4th line is out. I don't have the breakdown but I'd bet that at least 70% of the shifts that 4th line takes has Walman-Seider on with them.

There was someone in the thread nitpicking and saying that the Walman contract isn't really a steal because it's only 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad