OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Devils were the better team by far than Carolina but the results were quite embarrassing. Idc what the excuses are.

Rod would do way better in NJ
Inexperience and coming off such an emotional comeback win against our rival game 7 and our absolute horrible goaltending def cost us against the canes last year.

Reactions: My3Sons

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Yeah, I struggle with this a bit, did teams figure us out?

Or was it the lack of d-men who could handle tough d situations as well as injuries as well as goalies?

I guess I don't struggle with it too much as I really think it's the latter, even if the system was more complicated then it needed to be.
I think:
- it’s hard to run a complicated system with so much roster turnover
- it’s hard to rely on a system that only works if the best players are playing at their peak
- other do (and did) adjust

The Devils have better players than other teams. They don’t need to run a better system - they just need to have a system they can execute well on a consistent basis, and that allows their talent to take over.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think:
- it’s hard to run a complicated system with so much roster turnover
- it’s hard to rely on a system that only works if the best players are playing at their peak
- other do (and did) adjust

The Devils have better players than other teams. They don’t need to run a better system - they just need to have a system they can execute well on a consistent basis, and that allows their talent to take over.
I think Ruff's system put an emphasis on regaining puck possession asap. Which, given our talent level, makes sense, we want our guys with the puck.

And I think end of the season was an extreme swing the other way, but we were getting our heads bashed in when we went with a conservative style.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
With zero time off between series.

We were ambushed.
between series and between games. it was every other day for 2+ weeks.

the emotional let down for games 1 and 2 in raleigh was a big factor too. they found themselves in game 3 and game 5 was even. if they had another day or two between series they could hav regrouped but the schedule did us no favors moreso than any other team. maturity plays into that too thinking they won it all with the rags series

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

the emotional let down for games 1 and 2 in raleigh was a big factor too. they found themselves in game 3 and game 5 was even. if they had another day or two between series they could hav regrouped but the schedule did us no favors moreso than any other team, but maturity plays into that too thinking they won it all with the rags series
And I don't get on the team for that, it was a heck of a comeback vs a heated rival. And vs a top notch goalie. That would take some starch out of any team, let alone a young one.

And for as much as the schedule heavily favored the Canes, they earned that time off, and the home ice. So sucks to be us.

This season I'm pretty critical of the team for how it played out, yes there are some legit reasons as to why, but I don't think we handled it well.

Last season, even with the thudding vs Carolina, was a great success.

Absolutely have to regroup for next season.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

the emotional let down for games 1 and 2 in raleigh was a big factor too. they found themselves in game 3 and game 5 was even. if they had another day or two between series they could hav regrouped but the schedule did us no favors moreso than any other team, but maturity plays into that too thinking they won it all with the rags series
The Devils turned things around when they inserted Luke into the lineup in game 3 and had a guy who could skate the puck out of trouble and excel in transition, which really started to neutralize the Carolina forecheck. He was an absolute animal in game 5, the Devils should've won that.

Jack also had a significant injury by the end of the series and they already had multiple guys banged up on top of it.

But agreed, the one day turn around after an emotionally and physically exhausting Rangers series did them in.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
‘canes last year? We didn’t handle their forecheck and physical play and made bad turnovers in our own end, got pinned in, and our goalies sucked. I doubt more rest would have made a difference. (We struggled against heavy teams all season, despite the record point total year).
These are absolutely things that are affected by not being physically and mentally at the top of your game.

Reactions: HughesCorporation

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
These are absolutely things that are affected by not being physically and mentally at the top of your game.
Also impacted by a heavy footed defensive unit, which basically had Severson and an injured Hamilton as their only true puck movers.

You were otherwise left with guys like Graves, Marino, Smith, and Siegenthaler who all lacked the foot speed and puck moving capabilities to quickly transition away from the Carolina forecheck.

It would be a different story with Luke, Nemec, and a (hopefully) healthy Dougie anchoring as elite transition guys on each pairing.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Calling our roster vastly superior to Carolina's is goofy talk to me, sorry. Maybe 1-2 more years down the line as theirs begins to age out/walk in UFA.

We were f***ing destroyed by them last year. You can't just write it off entirely as coaching.

If our roster was actually so good, we would have made the playoffs this year in a weak ass division regardless of coaching and injuries.

Camille the Eel

In hindsight we very much missed Wood’s presence in our locker room - along with a bunch of other guys - this year. He was the guy who, after games one and two that prior season, called a meeting and said he was tired of losing. You can’t overestimate how much the absence of a core of experienced players who were part of that year’s success affected us this season when the shit hit the fan.

There’s only so much coaching can do. In the end you’ve got to have the character and determination among the players themselves.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
In hindsight we very much missed Wood’s presence in our locker room - along with a bunch of other guys - this year. He was the guy who, after games one and two that prior season, called a meeting and said he was tired of losing. You can’t overestimate how much the absence of a core of experienced players who were part of that year’s success affected us this season when the shit hit the fan.

There’s only so much coaching can do. In the end you’ve got to have the character and determination among the players themselves.
Yep. we've rehashed it but there was simply too much changeover from year to year. Any given move in a vacuum was fine, but it would have been nice to keep one or two more of these guys in house.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The issue with Andersen tonight is that if he played like he did in OT in regulation then that game never gets there. He was 100% an issue tonight in regulation, he saved himself with a very good OT1/2. Their powerplay is losing them this series the most though. 0/10 is f***ing laughable for the #2 unit in the league in the regular season
Weak attempt on goal 1 that caused the Rangers possession and they kept it until they scored the goal. Goal 3 he should have had, but it was a trickler through him and he tries to lay on it but doesn’t cover it. Weak attempt by him again.

He wasn’t tested nearly as much as Shesterkin (I know the Hurricanes have poor finishers unlike the Rangers though) and Shesterkin still made almost 20 more saves.

“But it’s Shesterkin, asking goalies like Raanta and Andersen to take him down in a playoff series is too much!”

Yes, because it took rookie sensation and eventual 2023-2024 Vezina winner Akira Schmid to take him out last year.

Not that I think Shesterkin really did anything wrong last playoffs. I think that Siegenthaler goal was the only one that looked even a little not so great.

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
As for the Refs giving NY 8 power plays and maybe calling 14 penalties in the game (if my memory of the box score serves me), and that last call in OT . . . Well let’s just not go there. What a joke.

PPs were 7-5 for the rangers and two of theirs were abbreviated. Carolina had 3 PPs in OT. Rangers are the most penalized team in the playoffs.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Calling our roster vastly superior to Carolina's is goofy talk to me, sorry. Maybe 1-2 more years down the line as theirs begins to age out/walk in UFA.

We were f***ing destroyed by them last year. You can't just write it off entirely as coaching.

If our roster was actually so good, we would have made the playoffs this year in a weak ass division regardless of coaching and injuries.

Last season? It 100% was. Not sure how you can even argue that. I mean, it wasn't 100% coaching but it sure as hell was a large part. A better coach wins that series for sure.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
With zero time off between series.

We were ambushed.
I think these are just excuses. Boston had one day in between an emotional game 7 that went to OT against Toronto and kicked Florida's ass.

Carolina wiped the floor with the Devils in that series, in all aspects of the game, it was not just an issue of goaltending.

I continue to be astonished at how readily we point to the goalie to excuse the multitude of other issues this team as.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Happy for Wood, looked like a classic goal from him last night. Hope he gets to the conference finals before Rico knocks the Avs out.
IMG_3262.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Cheddabombs

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I think these are just excuses. Boston had one day in between an emotional game 7 that went to OT against Toronto and kicked Florida's ass.

Carolina wiped the floor with the Devils in that series, in all aspects of the game, it was not just an issue of goaltending.

I continue to be astonished at how readily we point to the goalie to excuse the multitude of other issues this team as.

I seriously hope the team internally is not thinking the same way people on this boards are...that would be concerning.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Carolina got nothing from Aho + was missing Svech and we lost to guys like Kotkaniemi + Martinook have legacy series while Timo/Jack and our top guys were way better than theirs. The Devils 100% had the better roster going into that series.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Carolina got nothing from Aho + was missing Svech and we lost to guys like Kotkaniemi + Martinook have legacy series while Timo/Jack and our top guys were way better than theirs. The Devils 100% had the better roster going into that series.
We had the better forwards. Again that doesn't equate to better roster, defensemen and goalies count too.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Who cares about the rosters on paper? The devils got their ass whooped in every facet of the game, so the goalie excuse is BS. And adding in the two day layoff as yet another excuse when another team in a similar situation had no problem taking care of business this year certainly looks like a lot of excuse making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad