W Timo Meier (2015, 9th, SJS)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I like him, reminds me a fair bit of Nathan Horton. I can see him challenging for a spot in the top 10.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He’s a tremendous, well-built athlete who is a bit of a throwback. Meier is a gifted goal scorer; a no-nonsense shooter with a pro release. What makes him enticing as a prospect is the way he combines a goal-scorer’s touch with calculated physicality. He’s been likened to a wrecking ball on skates for the way throws his weight around and delivers punishing hits; his powerful stride and ability to pick up speed while bearing down on a prospective target makes it difficult for opponents to complete plays. He has very good hands and vision, and can quickly determine when the window to drive to the net for a quality chance has closed. That doesn't necessarily mean it will stop him, as Meier can angle into a defender and establish positioning while controlling the puck en route to the toughest scoring areas of the offensive zone.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/draft-profile-timo-meier/

Beast. Reminds me of Rick Tocchet. Flyers Tocchet. Not Feed-Me-Mario Tocchet.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Interesting how a common knock on Ehlers last year was that he was playing with Drouin (except they actually didn't at ES) but I haven't heard many people use that criticism of Meier.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Interesting how a common knock on Ehlers last year was that he was playing with Drouin (except they actually didn't at ES) but I haven't heard many people use that criticism of Meier.

It is interesting. Meier's strengths are a lot different than Nik's tho. He has a lot of NHL ready tools like his shot, size and strength. His skating is good to, but could probably use some work before the jump to the NHL.

Meier (should he return to halifax) will probably see his production drop off next year. He will likely be playing with Danny Moynihan (who is a pretty talented 1995 born center) and or Maxime Fortier, who is pretty talented himself heading into his sophomore season. However, it's a huge drop off from playing with Ehlers.

It's unlikely that Timo will be traded... Halifax has a history of holding onto their Euros.. tho I wouldn't mind trading him if the return is right (Charlettown's 5th overall pick is... appealing.)

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
If possible, would someone mind comparing and contrasting Crouse and Meier.

And yes, I'm aware Crouse is the more highly rated prospect. But if possible, please ignore that.

JayHockey

Mar 19, 2015
Meier is not that far to be a NHLer. Some works on his skating ability but to maximise his potential it will be good for him another season in the Q and the AHL one season like Poirier(not the same style.).

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
in the minority but if flyers took him with the seventh pick id be very happy....just love his skills, size/thickness and style of play.

I think every lottery team will walk away happy from their 1st picks. You really can't go wrong. I think the Flyers should draft a scoring winger but if Hanifin slips to 7 they should nab him.

van22

May 25, 2014
Interview by Timo Meier with comments by scouts from Penguins, Panthers, Oilers and Craig Button. Was uploaded a few days ago but it's probably from end of March as Button's comments are from a longer interview at the end of the regular season where he also talks about Chabot and Zboril (didn't see it referenced in this thread so added it below).

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
A lot of Sharks fans were upset in our draft thread (big surprise!) that we passed on Rantanen for Meier. Things have calmed down a bit, but does anyone have info to share that might help some of our fans back away from the ledge?

Buchanan*

I remember not really hoping for him at 15 when we still had our pick. He's interesting though, could be a Corey Perry lite if things go well

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
A lot of Sharks fans were upset in our draft thread (big surprise!) that we passed on Rantanen for Meier. Things have calmed down a bit, but does anyone have info to share that might help some of our fans back away from the ledge?

Don't be upset, San Jose got a great player who has both a high ceiling and low chance of busting.

I would be happy with the pick

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I've seen Meier around 50 times live and if you are hoping for anything like Lucic you are sadly mistaken.

I was thinking the same thing. I am a season ticket holder and I never seen the hype around Meier. A few times he would do some cool stuff, but beyond being a good defensive player and good at being in position, everything else just feels "meh" about him.

I think he may be a third/2nd line winger at best.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Also a Mooseheads STH, not sure why other Halifax fans appear to be so underwhelmed by Timo. I know we've been spoiled the past few of years with Mack, Drouin and Ehlers but Timo is easily the best pro prospect we've had outside those three since I've been a STH.

Obviously the Lucic comparison isn't really fitting, Meier has more skill than nastiness. While he's getting credit for his use of shot, size, positioning, and defensive play (as he should), I really think his puck skills and creativity are being underrated. He's proven he can score points at a high clip, with or without Ehlers, and I expect him to have a huge year on a rebuilding Halifax this coming season. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the Captain either.

If he can work on his foot speed a bit, I can see him developing in to a complimentary first line winger in the NHL, or a very good two-way second line winger.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Also a Mooseheads STH, not sure why other Halifax fans appear to be so underwhelmed by Timo. I know we've been spoiled the past few of years with Mack, Drouin and Ehlers but Timo is easily the best pro prospect we've had outside those three since I've been a STH.

Obviously the Lucic comparison isn't really fitting, Meier has more skill than nastiness. While he's getting credit for his use of shot, size, positioning, and defensive play (as he should), I really think his puck skills and creativity are being underrated. He's proven he can score points at a high clip, with or without Ehlers, and I expect him to have a huge year on a rebuilding Halifax this coming season. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the Captain either.

If he can work on his foot speed a bit, I can see him developing in to a complimentary first line winger in the NHL, or a very good two-way second line winger.

I'm not underwhelmed by him I just thought the Lucic comparison was ridiculous.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
No offense, but have you ever seen him play?
He thinks that it is no exaggeration for Jeremy Roy to become Ray Bourque and that it wouldn't surprise him if Roy became the best dman out of this years draft class.

Now he thinks that Meier has a ceiling of Perry and floor of Lucic.

Wow, Sharks must have had one hell of a draft! Future HoF'er in Roy and MVP in Meier.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He thinks that it is no exaggeration for Jeremy Roy to become Ray Bourque and that it wouldn't surprise him if Roy became the best dman out of this years draft class.

Now he thinks that Meier has a ceiling of Perry and floor of Lucic.

Wow, Sharks must have had one hell of a draft! Future HoF'er in Roy and MVP in Meier.

Eh, doesn't matter. They're already chokers.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I like Meier. He has physicality and speed in the game added with a drive to score goals. Still, cannot fathom how on earth the Sharks passed Rantanen for him since they where obviously after wingers. Where Meier can be a star surrounded by elite players I think Rantanen can make good players into great players. He has more tools in the arsenal, similar skating, better frame and hockey IQ that beats Meiers off the charts. Could be wrong of course but time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad