W Timo Meier (2015, 9th, SJS)

whlscowt

If you can even call what the Q has available a "stream"

Not trying to getting into a fight here... so lower your weapons gents! But CHL streams are pretty darn good nowadays. Neulion does a great job and there are less reputable (read:grey) options out there for much cheaper/free.

BBSuns

Apr 26, 2013
Bumping the conversation, doesnt seem like Meier gets much attention amongst 2016 picks.

Can anyone who follows Halifax or a SJ Sharks prospecter shed some light on his season this year? Is he a guy to watch to make the Sharks out of camp next year?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Bumping the conversation, doesnt seem like Meier gets much attention amongst 2016 picks.

Can anyone who follows Halifax or a SJ Sharks prospecter shed some light on his season this year? Is he a guy to watch to make the Sharks out of camp next year?

Personally I think he should probably go to the AHL for a year.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax

Mooseheads season ticket holder here. To me it didn't look like Timo took a big step forward this year but he was definitely our offensive catalyst and had a bigger role on the PK this year. To be fair Halifax has a pretty bad team, he was always the clear focal point of opposition, and still scored over a 1.5PPG pace with us. I can't speak to how he's looking in R-N with a significant upgrade in supporting cast.

I'm a big fan of Timo but I'd agree with the poster above in saying he probably needs some time in the AHL, though not necessarily a full season depending on how things progress.

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
Haven't seen him play, but has 20g 26a 46pts in 27gms with Rouyn-Noranda. He had 11g 25a 36pts in 23gms with Halifax before the trade. F.Perron (who I assume he plays with) has gone 16-29-45pts in that same time.

Rouyn-Noranda has gone something like 23-3-1 since acquiring Meier, and they are the best QMJHL team (statistically the best CHL team) this year. He'll probably play in the Memorial Cup which will be a good showcase for him.

Next year will be his first pro-season which will be big for him.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He's playing great. One of the biggest things that I love about him is that he's a shot machine. He's average 5.86 shots a game and gets about 2.9 dangerous shots a game. He really finds a way to generate chances whether it be by finding soft spots or driving himself into scoring position. He's going to be effective at the next level.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Yeah, he's doing very good. Really has developed a playmaking side to his game in Halifax and even moreso with Rouyn-Noranda. As mentioned above, he's a shot machine. Dangerous on the PP. As much as I didn't like the pick at the time, he is having a justifiable draft+1 season for a top-10 pick, both production and development wise.

AHL would probably be ideal to start next season but he may be given a roster spot right off the bat.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've seen a ton of Rouyn-Noranda. Meier has fit in great on the team but he's not carrying them. He plays on a line with Beaudin and Perron. He's had a lot of games where points come in bursts, he's got a nose for the net as I'm sure is well known and scored a couple big game goals. His game has turned up the last couple of weeks (so has the whole team) and I'm hoping to see more big game goals from him in the playoffs. I think he's playing a bit more of a power forward game on that line and doesn't have to be the primary shooter. RN works very well together as a team and they all compliment each other.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I expect him to go to the AHL next year. Lucky that he's eligible due to being on the old side for his draft year, most high end CHLers in their draft +2 year have to chose between "stagnate in the CHL, or rush to the AHL", but with Timo there's no need to rush. He's good, and a future NHLer, but don't think he's so good that he wouldn't benefit from some time in the AHL. Sharks are pretty deep too, would have to beat out someone like Nieto for a spot in the top 9, don't think he's there yet.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I expect him to go to the AHL next year. Lucky that he's eligible due to being on the old side for his draft year, most high end CHLers in their draft +2 year have to chose between "stagnate in the CHL, or rush to the NHL", but with Timo there's no need to rush. He's good, and a future NHLer, but don't think he's so good that he wouldn't benefit from some time in the AHL. Sharks are pretty deep too, would have to beat out someone like Nieto for a spot in the top 9, don't think he's there yet.

I would not be at all surprised if, so long as he wasn't horrible in the pre-season, Meier got to start the 2016-2017 season on the LW of Thornton and PavelskI, much like Hertl started the 2013-2014 season on Thornton and Burns' LW. But you are right in that there will be a lot of competition for forward spots on the Sharks next year. The clear-cut six best forwards (and therefore locks) will be Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Hertl, and Donskoi. Beyond them, there will be players like Ward, Tierney, Wingels, Nieto, Karlsson, Meier, Goldobin, and Goodrow fighting for spots. I suspect that one or two of Wingels, Karlsson, and Nieto will be traded this off-season to make room.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I would not be at all surprised if, so long as he wasn't horrible in the pre-season, Meier got to start the 2016-2017 season on the LW of Thornton and PavelskI, much like Hertl started the 2013-2014 season on Thornton and Burns' LW. But you are right in that there will be a lot of competition for forward spots on the Sharks next year. The clear-cut six best forwards (and therefore locks) will be Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Hertl, and Donskoi. Beyond them, there will be players like Ward, Tierney, Wingels, Nieto, Karlsson, Meier, Goldobin, and Goodrow fighting for spots. I suspect that one or two of Wingels, Karlsson, and Nieto will be traded this off-season to make room.
Yeah, if Meier does make the team, they'd have to deal someone - too many top 9 worthy forwards. My gut says AHL, as I don't think he'll be clearly better than the 7-9 guys, and would probably develop well learning to dominate in the AHL, but I wouldn't be shocked if he made the Sharks either.

Starting in the AHL and moving up if he dominates seems very possible too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad