W Timo Meier (2015, 9th, SJS)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That's why you guys will have a good team, you have balance while our GM will likely draft more of the same of what we already have.

Don't want to get this too far off topic but the Oilers have been drafting size for years. Look no further than last season when they passed up the BPA for Draisaitl and they passed up better prospects in later rounds for bigger prospects.

Count me in for wanting Meier but it doesn't look like he will fall to the Pens pick unfortunately.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Don't want to get this too far off topic but the Oilers have been drafting size for years. Look no further than last season when they passed up the BPA for Draisaitl and they passed up better prospects in later rounds for bigger prospects.

Count me in for wanting Meier but it doesn't look like he will fall to the Pens pick unfortunately.

Draisaitl was the first skilled player with size that we've drafted high in some time, even longer when you factor in forwards and not defensemen. I also doubt that he falls that far. Size + skill = a highly sought after commodity.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Draisaitl was the first skilled player with size that we've drafted high in some time, even longer when you factor in forwards and not defensemen. I also doubt that he falls that far. Size + skill = a highly sought after commodity.

He was the first one that was available that high since Landeskog?
I'm just saying in general that the Oilers have been drafting for size the last couple of drafts and probably will in this one too. Hopefully the strategy pays off.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I just want to say "Thanks" for all you guys do. Is this one of the deepest drafts you have seen? 2003 was good but as a Flyer fan I always liked 1979.

You're welcome

I don't think it compares to 2003 or 1979.

Those are just once in a lifetime drafts.

That said, this draft is in the upper echelon, while its not close to 2003, it might be the best draft since that one.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
Was trying to explain to someone who Meier plays like and they asked for a player comparison. I said I see a lot of the same abilities as James Neal. Am I the only one who sees that?

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Was trying to explain to someone who Meier plays like and they asked for a player comparison. I said I see a lot of the same abilities as James Neal. Am I the only one who sees that?

I like the Benn comparison better in terms of style. Just don't see Neal personally.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
I like the Benn comparison better in terms of style. Just don't see Neal personally.

Fair enough. I should have stated more confidently my opinion however. I absolutelysee a lot of the same qualities in Meier that are in Neal and wondered if others had made the comparison mentally yet.

I see the good use of his frame, the way he protects the puck, how at times he tries to be a compliment player with his shot first attitude. The way he finds the open ice in the offensive zone and battles hard along the boards. I also see a lot of Neal when he's just kinda gliding in the "3rd man in" role defensively. Neal was a bit more gritty in his younger days but still tons of similarities.

I could see Meier being either Neal in PIT kinda player, or Neal in NSH kinda player.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK

Obviously all comparisons come short in one way or another (which is why I tend not to make them) but I found it easy to explain quite a few aspects of his game when describing Neal over the past 4 years. :yo:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
TimoMeier.jpg

At the beginning of the season, Timo Meier was regarded as a 2nd or 3rd round pick in the upcoming NHL Entry Draft, however Meier’s breakout season with the Halifax Mooseheads quickly changed that. After putting up 44 goals and 46 assists in 61 games, Meier is the consensus #1 prospect out of the QMJHL.

Read more...

I usually favour small skilled forwards, but Timo Meier was one of my favourite players to watch in the CHL. The tandem of Meier and Ehlers was so electrifying.

Obviously all comparisons come short in one way or another (which is why I tend not to make them) but I found it easy to explain quite a few aspects of his game when describing Neal over the past 4 years. :yo:

When watching Meier throughout the season, I definitely saw flashes of James Neal.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Really want him at 14 for Boston. Brings the physicality and goal scoring we really need on the wing.

Neal and Benn comparisons were made above, some others I have seen are Johan Franzen and Joe Pavelski

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
Really want him at 14 for Boston. Brings the physicality and goal scoring we really need on the wing.

Neal and Benn comparisons were made above, some others I have seen are Johan Franzen and Joe Pavelski

Unfortunately, I don't think he'll be available that far in the draft. I believe he'll be a top 10 pick

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Definitely seems like a 11-15th pick kind of guy. Very skilled, but doesn't have quite the same gamebreaking talent as most of the top10 guys. Was easily the best Halifax player when Ehlers wasn't on the ice.

Assuming he's on the Moose next year it will be great to see what he can do as the go-to guy, once Ehlers is in the show.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I'd be surprised to see him break it, I think 11-15 area will be where he'll go. Who knows, maybe someone takes the chance.

Definitely seems like a 11-15th pick kind of guy. Very skilled, but doesn't have quite the same gamebreaking talent as most of the top10 guys. Was easily the best Halifax player when Ehlers wasn't on the ice.

Assuming he's on the Moose next year it will be great to see what he can do as the go-to guy, once Ehlers is in the show.

I agree, definitely seems to be going in that range.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
I'm trying to catch up on prospects and this is one of the first guys I've read up on. I also saw his world junior highlights. This guy is astonishingly strong with the puck. He's a bull. I think he'd complement the talent on the Avs really well. They could use a strong skater who is good in the corners and also bold enough to go to the danger areas around the net.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
I'm trying to catch up on prospects and this is one of the first guys I've read up on. I also saw his world junior highlights. This guy is astonishingly strong with the puck. He's a bull. I think he'd complement the talent on the Avs really well. They could use a strong skater who is good in the corners and also bold enough to go to the danger areas around the net.

This stood out early on in Meier's Q career, even long before he was producing anything close to what he did this season.

He may be another case of a player who should probably be heading to the AHL next season and would gain more from it, but will be forced to come back to Halifax. I'm not complaining as a fan, but I'm sure whoever drafts him would rather he play against men.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
This stood out early on in Meier's Q career, even long before he was producing anything close to what he did this season.

He may be another case of a player who should probably be heading to the AHL next season and would gain more from it, but will be forced to come back to Halifax. I'm not complaining as a fan, but I'm sure whoever drafts him would rather he play against men.

Do you question whether his game will translate at the NHL level?

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
My second favourite team is the Avs, i'd love to see them pick Timo and continue to turn themselves into the Colorado Mooseheads. Maybe they can take Fortier next year and keep it going ;)

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
Not even in the slightest, he is built for the NHL.

I agree. Whether it's possessing the puck, going into the corners, or general offense, he checks off almost (or maybe all) boxes.

Sorry to belabor this but it seems like you could probably answer this...or any Halifax fan for that matter. One of the criticisms I read was he makes too many errant passes...wishful passes that don't connect. But i think that might have been from his first year. This report seemed to be part of a chronology.

In his second year, was he stronger, more authoritative, more decisive...or is that report about aimless passes still accurate? I've read quotes from him that he learned how to think ahead of the play going into his 2nd year. Can any Moosehead fan comment on this or care to clarify this?

I know he has vision to make nice passes but that's from YouTube highlights. You wouldn't necessarily see the 5 bad passes for every good pass (if that were the case).

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I agree. Whether it's possessing the puck, going into the corners, or general offense, he checks off almost (or maybe all) boxes.

Sorry to belabor this but it seems like you could probably answer this...or any Halifax fan for that matter. One of the criticisms I read was he makes too many errant passes...wishful passes that don't connect. But i think that might have been from his first year. This report seemed to be part of a chronology.

In his second year, was he stronger, more authoritative, more decisive...or is that report about aimless passes still accurate? I've read quotes from him that he learned how to think ahead of the play going into his 2nd year. Can any Moosehead fan comment on this or care to clarify this?

I know he has vision to make nice passes but that's from YouTube highlights. You wouldn't necessarily see the 5 bad passes for every good pass (if that were the case).

I wouldn't necessarily say they were aimless passes because he connected on a very good portion of them, but they are definitely high-risk/low-percentage passes. Not ones that generally would put the team in a bad spot, but there are easier options available. It would be nice for him to simplify in that aspect, but he does have a couple passes a game where you don't really understand how it made it on his teammate's stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad