W Timo Meier (2015, 9th, SJS)

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Also a Mooseheads STH, not sure why other Halifax fans appear to be so underwhelmed by Timo. I know we've been spoiled the past few of years with Mack, Drouin and Ehlers but Timo is easily the best pro prospect we've had outside those three since I've been a STH.

Obviously the Lucic comparison isn't really fitting, Meier has more skill than nastiness. While he's getting credit for his use of shot, size, positioning, and defensive play (as he should), I really think his puck skills and creativity are being underrated. He's proven he can score points at a high clip, with or without Ehlers, and I expect him to have a huge year on a rebuilding Halifax this coming season. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the Captain either.

If he can work on his foot speed a bit, I can see him developing in to a complimentary first line winger in the NHL, or a very good two-way second line winger.
Heya. Myself as well a Haligonian who sees him a lot. I just posted a nice long praise post for him in the Sharks thread.

Same with Roy, who I felt stole my attention every time he was playing, although for the wrong team :p

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Meier is a great prospect, but my only quibble was he was taken earlier than I felt he should have been. Sharks fans will find no fault with him, and it will be interesting to see how Meier shakes out in his next season, especially if Ehlers joins the Jets.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Sharks fans will find no fault with him

People on HFSharks are ready to crucify Wilson over this pick. I predict this thread will have a lot of negativity when Meier doesn't have great supporting players. I wouldn't be surprised if Halifax trades him.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
People on HFSharks are ready to crucify Wilson over this pick. I predict this thread will have a lot of negativity when Meier doesn't have great supporting players. I wouldn't be surprised if Halifax trades him.

People said the same thing about Drouin 2 seasons ago, Ehlers last.

Meier will be in Halifax all season, and he'll still do just fine. It's not like he has absolute nobodys, Moynihan had 70 points last season and will be a 20 this year which is often when good players begin to dominate in Jr. Fortier could break out as well.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

From your extensive knowledge of having seen him play in California so many times? Or maybe a game or two on TV?

The bar in Halifax I was in cheered like mad when he was drafted. Was kinda funny since we are neutral territory and I was the only one in a Sharks jersey.

But more funny was the poor guy in the Lucic hoodie. Was not a good day for him lol

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
People said the same thing about Drouin 2 seasons ago, Ehlers last.

Meier will be in Halifax all season, and he'll still do just fine. It's not like he has absolute nobodys, Moynihan had 70 points last season and will be a 20 this year which is often when good players begin to dominate in Jr. Fortier could break out as well.

Moynihan has thus far shown inability to carry a line himself, so seeing how Timo does will be fun!

I suspect he will do just fine

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
From your extensive knowledge of having seen him play in California so many times? Or maybe a game or two on TV?

The bar in Halifax I was in cheered like mad when he was drafted. Was kinda funny since we are neutral territory and I was the only one in a Sharks jersey.

But more funny was the poor guy in the Lucic hoodie. Was not a good day for him lol

He probably thought with 3 picks he was a Bruin for sure

Meier is a great prospect, but my only quibble was he was taken earlier than I felt he should have been. Sharks fans will find no fault with him, and it will be interesting to see how Meier shakes out in his next season, especially if Ehlers joins the Jets.

People questioned how Drouin would play without Mackinnon, Ehlers without Drouin, now Meier without Ehlers.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
I'm not underwhelmed by him I just thought the Lucic comparison was ridiculous.
Oh yeah, completely agree there. Meier is more skilled than mean. Not a good comparison.

Heya. Myself as well a Haligonian who sees him a lot. I just posted a nice long praise post for him in the Sharks thread.

Same with Roy, who I felt stole my attention every time he was playing, although for the wrong team :p
Nice, I'll check out that post. Timo has been my favorite player on the Moose since about half way through his rookie year.

Roy was the best player on the ice for his team by a fair margin, the few times I had a chance to see him in Halifax. The Sharks did really well at the draft in my books.

I think he proved last year, before Ehlers re-joined the team at the start of the year, that he has no problem creating offense on his own. With a decent/solid 20 y/o center in Moynihan I see no reason why Timo won't be a top 5-10 point producer and top 5 goal scorer in the Q next year.

There's certainly a chance he gets dealt at the deadline after Cam and co. see how the first part of the season shakes out with such a young team.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Gerbefied knows prospects and watches a lot of non-NHL hockey, so I suggest you show him some respect instead of taking pot-shots at where his team plays. I trust his opinion more than yours. You have a serious bias.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Gerbefied knows prospects and watches a lot of non-NHL hockey, so I suggest you show him some respect instead of taking pot-shots at where his team plays. I trust his opinion more than yours. You have a serious bias.
You want to hate this pick and will hear nothing to the contrary.

A few posts ago in the sharks section, you were taking condescending shots at people for regurgitating scout report and saying "have any of you even seen him play?"

Now you get opinions of people who have seen him play, and you degrade them as biased and insist a fellow doom and gloom who hates the pick watched a lot of prospects(and the fact is, they don't play Moosehead games in California)

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

A few posts ago in the sharks section, you were taking condescending shots at people for regurgitating scout report and saying "have any of you even seen him play?"

Now you get opinions of people who have seen him play, and you degrade them as biased and insist a fellow doom and gloom who hates the pick watched a lot of prospects(and the fact is, they don't play Moosehead games in California)

Polite golf clap.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

While I like your posts, Gerbified didn't really say anything bad.He was kinda pointing out how divisive Meier seems to be.

Also, I'm gonna make my decision on your credibility as an amateur scout in a year or two once we see more from Meier. Thanks for the scout report!

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Out of Drouin, Mackinnon, Ehlers, Meier, Timo is the least skilled but has the best all around shot of the group and is the biggest body. Started playing a lot more physical towards the end of last year and not going to lose many battles in corner or one on one with the body. Coming down the wing he creates a lot of chances out of little to nothing. He can find tiny holes to sneak the puck in with a very accurate and hard shot. His production might dip slightly if he plays in Halifax this year but I'd say he should still out up 35-40 goals if he plays enough games. Don't think he's ready for NHL competition just yet and I was surprised he went at 9, but he could be a forceful NHL power forward in a few years and obviously this is the type of player the Sharks want.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
While I like your posts, Gerbified didn't really say anything bad.He was kinda pointing out how divisive Meier seems to be.

Also, I'm gonna make my decision on your credibility as an amateur scout in a year or two once we see more from Meier. Thanks for the scout report!
In this post. But the doom and gloom in the Sharks section over this pick, almost all by two people, including him, has been unwarranted.

Gerbefied made a comment that he watched a enough videos and formed an opinion and that he would be on the "Fire DW" train if he picked Meier lol.

Jux, well. Jux flat out said he wanted opinions of people who actually saw the guy play, not people regurgitating scout opinions. So I gave it, and suddenly, my opinion is "serious bias" since I watch a lot of Mooseheads games.

It is plain as day there is no pleasing allowed.

By that coin, Sharks fans who watch a lot of sharks games opinions are too biased to take into account?

Quite frankly, I am not as attached to the Moose as I am to the Sharks. But it is my only close avenue to live hockey.

I am certainly not a Sherbrooke fan, but I rank Roy ahead of Meier from the many games I saw over the last few years. that is not a down on Meier so much as a serious + to Roy.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
In this post. But the doom and gloom in the Sharks section over this pick, almost all by two people, including him, has been unwarranted.

Gerbefied made a comment that he watched a enough videos and formed an opinion and that he would be on the "Fire DW" train if he picked Meier lol.

Jux, well. Jux flat out said he wanted opinions of people who actually saw the guy play, not people regurgitating scout opinions. So I gave it, and suddenly, my opinion is "serious bias" since I watch a lot of Mooseheads games.

It is plain as day there is no pleasing allowed.

By that coin, Sharks fans who watch a lot of sharks games opinions are too biased to take into account?

Quite frankly, I am not as attached to the Moose as I am to the Sharks. But it is my only close avenue to live hockey.

I am certainly not a Sherbrooke fan, but I rank Roy ahead of Meier from the many games I saw over the last few years. that is not a down on Meier so much as a serious + to Roy.

You said Meier's ceiling was Corey Perry+ and his floor was Lucic. If that were the case he would have been taken top-5 no question. There is not a single person who agrees with you, not other Halifax fans, not professional scouts. I trust them over you. You think that Roy is better than Meier but Meier is possibly Perry+ and at worst Lucic? This is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think you understand the definition of "bias". This is when you form an opinion of a player that has little to do with their actual ability, such as when they play for your favorite junior team. Or maybe you're even biased because you're a Sharks fan. I dunno. But "bias" is not when you watch a player and have a opinion based upon that. I have no bias against Meier. I just think Meier was an awful pick. You are not inherently biased in Meier's favor because you're a Halifax fan, but that does influence your bias. Not every Sharks fan is biased in (or against!) the Sharks favor, but if you're trying to tell me that there aren't any Sharks fans whose opinions about the Sharks are clearly not objective due to their fandom, you haven't been paying attention.

If you are indeed not actually biased, then you must just be one of those people who thinks everyone drafted in the 1st round has 1st line superstar potential.

You took a potshot at Gerb and that is the one and only reason I posted in this thread. The bottom line is that your projection of Meier is fantastical and forgive me for having a hard time taking you seriously.

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
It's hard to take someone seriously when they're not a professional scout, but claim to know better than professional scouts.

If you've seen one of the late-rounders a lot, then it makes some sense that you would know the player better than most NHL scouts, but for a high profile guy like Meier, not a chance, unless you're from Halifax maybe, but even then, you probably don't have as much evaluation skills as professional scouts, and you're more prone to make emotional evaluations. All NHL teams have a very good understanding of Meier. There's probably a number of Sharks scouts who have followed him extensively. I would have picked Rantanen, but I trust all NHL teams scouting staff more than I trust myself in this area. I especially have a big trust for the Sharks scouting staff.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
You said Meier's ceiling was Corey Perry+ and his floor was Lucic. If that were the case he would have been taken top-5 no question. There is not a single person who agrees with you, not other Halifax fans, not professional scouts. I trust them over you. You think that Roy is better than Meier but Meier is possibly Perry+ and at worst Lucic? This is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think you understand the definition of "bias". This is when you form an opinion of a player that has little to do with their actual ability, such as when they play for your favorite junior team. Or maybe you're even biased because you're a Sharks fan. I dunno. But "bias" is not when you watch a player and have a opinion based upon that. I have no bias against Meier. I just think Meier was an awful pick. You are not inherently biased in Meier's favor because you're a Halifax fan, but that does influence your bias. Not every Sharks fan is biased in (or against!) the Sharks favor, but if you're trying to tell me that there aren't any Sharks fans whose opinions about the Sharks are clearly not objective due to their fandom, you haven't been paying attention.

If you are indeed not actually biased, then you must just be one of those people who thinks everyone drafted in the 1st round has 1st line superstar potential.

You took a potshot at Gerb and that is the one and only reason I posted in this thread. The bottom line is that your projection of Meier is fantastical and forgive me for having a hard time taking you seriously.

This is why player comparisons suck. Everybody gets in a tizzy when someone decides to compare against a player that's too good.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Moynihan has thus far shown inability to carry a line himself, so seeing how Timo does will be fun!

I suspect he will do just fine

Really? Becacause Moynihans best month was in December... when Ehlers and Meier were at the world jrs. and he was carrying the line himself. Moynihan was the QMJHLs first star for the month in December.

So I don't know where you get the idea Danny Moynihan can't carry a line.

Interesting to see if Meier plays this season in Halifax tho. History shows Hali doesn't trade euros... however theyre heading into a rebuild and drafted two imports.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

Keep that black thundercloud floating bud.

You would think saying Corey Perry + means every year is a Rocket season or something.

Quite frankly, Perry's average season is 27 goals, and 63 points. No I do not see that as out of reach to surpass, even though scoring is lower now.

Lucic's average season is 20 goals, 40 points, if that.

You seem to think of reaching those levels as fantastical and unbelievable.

Roy? Yeah, I am high on the kid, and have been for a long time.

Draft stock rises and falls based on draft year.

At the halfway Mark of this year, Provorov and Werenski were neck and neck, equal picks. Werenski's season ended earlier and Provorov's kept going, and suddenly, Provorov's stock rises till he is possibly the guy to pick over Hanifin, while Werenski's falls simply because he is not being seen.

Roy was in top 10 overall discussion at the start of the year. A few timely injuries + recovery time hampering him and suspensions and his draft stock fell hard.

I still think he could pull away as the best Dman of this draft. So yeah, I am high on this kid with incredible hockey sense and drive, and even see shades of Bourque-lite in him. And I have since before the sharks drafted him

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Really? Becacause Moynihans best month was in December... when Ehlers and Meier were at the world jrs. and he was carrying the line himself. Moynihan was the QMJHLs first star for the month in December.

So I don't know where you get the idea Danny Moynihan can't carry a line.

Interesting to see if Meier plays this season in Halifax tho. History shows Hali doesn't trade euros... however theyre heading into a rebuild and drafted two imports.

Think so? I just don't see it in him man. Players have hot months. it happens. But I don't see a career for him in the NHL.

But granted, you may see something i don't :p

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Think so? I just don't see it in him man. Players have hot months. it happens. But I don't see a career for him in the NHL.

But granted, you may see something i don't :p

They don't need Dany to have an NHL career. They just need him to be a #1C in the Q as a 20yo.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010

Haha, I think we were at the same bar. I recall seeing a guy in a Lucic shirt with his head hanging down all night.

As for Meier, if any Sharks fans are hating that pick, I think they'll be pleasantly surprised in a couple years. Meier had Ehlers to work with this past season, but he's a guy who can do it all himself.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Haha, I think we were at the same bar. I recall seeing a guy in a Lucic shirt with his head hanging down all night.

As for Meier, if any Sharks fans are hating that pick, I think they'll be pleasantly surprised in a couple years. Meier had Ehlers to work with this past season, but he's a guy who can do it all himself.
Boston pizza by the halifax waterfront?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad