Proposal: W. Nylander, Kerfoot, N. Robertson For B. Tkachuk

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
Nylander, Kerfoot, a prospect with 12g/19pts in 10 games and a 2nd.....

what?

leafs laugh and hang up. How awful would this look if Tkachuk settles in as a 50-60pt 2nd liner?

yikes

Points aren’t everything, Tkachuk has a unique skill set that Nylander cannot match. Perimeter players don’t win you games when it counts

Reactions: I Am A Goon

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I can’t believe there are leaf fans saying they wouldn’t trade Nylander+ for Tkachuk.

Sorry sens fans, what a terrible proposal by OP.

They're saying no because so far Nylander has actually proven more at the NHL level- especially offensively.

Its not that difficult to see why either. It's one think to prefer to Tkachuk (which is fine/understandable), it's another to claim hes a tier above - something that's blatantly false.

Last edited:

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
aside from the team basically getting a similar winger, a C that would step right in on their top line, a prospect tearing up the OHL and a 2nd
Value wise, yes this is good for Ottawa. But aside from that, sens are losing one of their two star (potentially franchise) players, and one of the only reasons that people would show up to watch that pathetic team

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Points aren’t everything, Tkachuk has a unique skill set that Nylander cannot match. Perimeter players don’t win you games when it counts

this may be true but tkachuk isnt kerfoot,robertson and a 2nd more valuable than Nylander. not even close

also lets let tkachuk actually play in the playoffs before talking about winning games when it counts.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I can’t believe there are leaf fans saying they wouldn’t trade Nylander+ for Tkachuk.

Sorry sens fans, what a terrible proposal by OP.

the + is the leafs best forward prospect, a 40+pt C, and a 2nd in a draft where they don't have a 1st.
for a kid who has 40% the points Nylander has this year

so yeah no

Reactions: ER89 and Menzinger

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Value wise, yes this is good for Ottawa. But aside from that, sens are losing one of their two star (potentially franchise) players, and one of the only reasons that people would show up to watch that pathetic team
Nylander would have just as good a chance to be a star potentially franchise player as Tkachuk when he’s finally not being overshadowed by franchise talents of Matthews and Marner. Plus adding in all of the others in this trade would bring even more value to a team that basically is looking for everything.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Brady > Nylander and nobody wants that Kerfoot contract the dude is not good that's a cap dump by the Leafs. 2nd rd pick means that the value is bad for the Leafs but the trade makes no sense to begin with since it doesn't help Ottawa at all.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Tkachuk is head and shoulders the most valuable player in the deal so I'm on the other side of the fence saying Ottawa says no way.

Nylander and Kerfoot being over-rated here.

Reactions: RalphKing

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
I do believe the Leafs take it and run yes. It fills a giant need and upgrades their top end. I also explained why it makes even less sense for Ottawa.

I am agreeing those players have value but I still think Toronto does it. Players like Tkachuk are extremely unique and fills a giant need for Toronto.

I have no problem with you thinking that the Sens would reject this offer. I believe that you have a decent idea of how Brady is viewed by the organization, and I can accept your opinion that this would not happen.

Why, however, do you claim to understand the Leaf viewpoint when you clearly do not? Just like the reasons you cited for Ottawa not wanting to lose someone like Brady, there are multiple reasons that the Leafs would not consider this trade. Not only would the value the Leaf organization place on the assets to be given up far exceed the return, the holes it would create in both the current roster and future plans for feeding the club would be very big. Perhaps the way you think these assets are viewed by Toronto could be off if you think it's such an unbelievable deal for them?

I see these "X team would take this and run" comment far too often on these boards. I understand that it might seem that way from your perspective, but it's clear that you lack as solid an understanding from the other's viewpoint. These boards are a (ideally) a great opportunity to gain the perspective from the other side. Instead of rejecting it, why not consider that you may be fallible when it comes to knowing what's going on with other teams?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Brady > Nylander and nobody wants that Kerfoot contract the dude is not good that's a cap dump by the Leafs. 2nd rd pick means that the value is bad for the Leafs but the trade makes no sense to begin with since it doesn't help Ottawa at all.

I wouldn't do it either as Ottawa, but your reasoning is just plain bad.

Kerfoot a cap dump?

Completely ignoring N. Robertson?

Just a bad take, to be honest.

Now that I am over that post, Ottawa needs to rebuild it's nucleus. Nylander can be one of those guys, but I wouldn't start with him. Tkachuk and Chabot is a much better starting point. They would win the trade on value but it's extremely difficult to find players like Brady, and I don't think the value is enough to get them really thinking deeply about it.

An equivalent trade would be like trading Tkachuk, Pageau, Batherson and a 2nd for a guy who is an upgrade, but not an organization altering upgrade. Unless you are getting a #1C or a #1D, why bother?

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
How is this thread not locked yet? How often is a package as good as Nylander, Kerfoot, Robertson and a 2nd traded for a single player? Very rarely. And if it is it's sure as hell going to be for a player much more valuable than Brady. I have no doubt the guy is going to be a great player, but come on. This is so far beyond an overpayment here.

I fully get a rebuilding team should be focused on quality over quantity and getting the building blocks in place, but this offer would be waaaay to good to pass up if it were ever on the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Tkachuk is head and shoulders the most valuable player in the deal so I'm on the other side of the fence saying Ottawa says no way.

Nylander and Kerfoot being over-rated here.

You sure it's not the guy who has A career high of 45 points being the guy whose overrated here lol?

Last edited:

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Nylander would have just as good a chance to be a star potentially franchise player as Tkachuk when he’s finally not being overshadowed by franchise talents of Matthews and Marner. Plus adding in all of the others in this trade would bring even more value to a team that basically is looking for everything.
I'm saying that Tkachuk is one of the two guys that Ottawa is portraying as their franchise player. Him and Chabot are being given the reigns

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
You sure it's not the guy who has A career high of 45 points being the guy whose overrated here lol?

We are looking at career highs for a 20 year old? Good argument.

Tkachuk is already the leader on his team - I dont think anyone sees Nylander on the same path.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Nick Robertson has 12 goals in 10 OHL games, was one of the youngest in the draft and doesn't even get a mention in most posts

Seriously people have no idea how good he is going to be. He's incredibly skilled but has that Hyman drivetrain and tenacity. I promise you he is not just a generic "+" or whatever, I would be crushed if he was dealt. Best prospect they've had since Matthews and I really like Sandin.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
When has Tkachuck proven he is better than Nylander? He hasnt proven that yet...Maybe he will become better but atm he has never matched Nylanders production.

It's not all about points. Bottom line is winning hockey games. Tkachuk would help the Leafs do that way more than Nylander would help Ottawa.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Nick Robertson has 12 goals in 10 OHL games, was one of the youngest in the draft and doesn't even get a mention in most posts

Seriously people have no idea how good he is going to be. He's incredibly skilled but has that Hyman drivetrain and tenacity. I promise you he is not just a generic "+" or whatever, I would be crushed if he was dealt. Best prospect they've had since Matthews and I really like Sandin.

Need to take October junior points with a grain of salt. Some kids were at NHL camps and others are still playing their 9-NHL game tryout before returning to junior. Point being the junior leagues aren't at full strength at the beginning of the season, and skilled players can go on amazing hot streaks early because of the easier competition.

Robertson is a good player, but he definitely will not retain anywhere near that goal pace throughout the season.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
What games have you won with Brady?

Probably referring to the Tkachuk family who all play (or played) in the style that you need to win in the playoffs and who have a combined record of 35 wins 63 losses in the playoffs and 1 win 16 losses since the 2004/05 lockout.

Reactions: ER89

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Nylander isn't available.

Nor is Tkachuk, and even if we did move him, it wouldn’t be to Toronto. You guys can have Ennis and Hainsey back though. Boedker can be yours as well. Send back half a tuna sandwich for Boedker.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Neutral Habs fan here... Leafs would do this in a heartbeat. Tkachuk is just what they need, plus the salary they’d be shedding would allow them to re-sign Muzzin and Barrie. Kerfoot and Robertson are being overrated big time here. Kerfoot is a dime a dozen player and Robertson could be another Petan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad