Proposal: W. Nylander, Kerfoot, N. Robertson For B. Tkachuk

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Ok put Colin White on Matthews wing and lets see how much he scores. If all the leafs were as good as you all claim they are they would have a playoff series win by now.

47 points while playing responsible defensively a more important position, a heavier and grittier game including PK while scoring at a higher ppg pace in the same season with worse linemates. Yeah they are comparable its fine if you dont agree. Nylander is paid more compared to his peers like every leaf that that Dubas's signed. Pretty hard to use that as a standard when its clear Dubas has been taken to the woodshed with all three of Nylander, Marner and Matthews when you look at their comparables.

Risk with Tkachuk... Tune into a game he is a force all over the ice producing with worse linemates than anyone in the leafs top 6 on a really bad team. Tkachuk and Nylander simply arent in the same range Tkachuk outscores him at a younger age while bringing undeniably way more to the table. They couldnt be any more different players, if Nylander isnt scoring he isnt contributing. I watch the leafs plenty they are an incredibly exciting team and lets get serious if you want to watch or not they are on. I dont know how anyone that watches that team all the time cant identify that Nylander is a complimentary player to a forward core of Matthews, Marner and Tavares. Like I said try watching another team other than the leafs it will be enlightening. If Tkachuk was a leaf this wouldnt even be a conversation. Its common knowledge the networks over hype leaf players they always have, its how they make money. Some leafs desever the hype and others dont. Nylander doesnt, Kelly Hrudey's rant was 100 percent accurate in the playoffs last year I have no interest of having a player like that on my team in anything but a complimentary role. Not for a second would I ever considering trading a player like Tkachuk for him. This isnt fantasy sports there is a heavy physical attribute to hockey that makes a difference.

As a leaf fan has your opinion changed since the early 2000's or were you even a fan of those teams? When grit, truculance etc was important now it isnt?....

As a long time sens fan if the sens could have traded Havlat for player like Tkachuk it would have happened but it simply doesnt. So no Nylander for Tkachuk isnt happening.
A decent amount of what your saying is complete conjecture and for example, we have no way of knowing how Colin White would do playing with Matthews.

Remember leafs got last place in the league before Matthews, Marner and Nylander joined with Nylander playing a much more prominent role than Marner his first 2 years. Matthews is a great player but he hardly single handedly took the leafs from last place to the playoffs. Maybe guys like Nylander helped the team and produced a bunch of points because they are a good player.

You proceed to take shots at the Leafs and Dubas repeatedly, really shows your true intentions and bias. I never once said Nylander for Brady is even value so I'm not sure what that whole part was about.

I said Nylander is better than White, which he is, and Tkachuk is worse than Marner, which he is.

You proceed to say White had a better season last year. Which he did by a small amount and it was by far Nylanders worst season while being White's best to date. White has scored less points and paced for less points than Nylander at the same age. Nylander also put up a 61 point season in his d+3 year when White was still bouncing between the NHL and AHL. You ignore this, shift the goalposts and start saying it is his intangibles than make him more valuable. You finish by taking a few more shots at Dubas. Also oddly enough you bring up draft pedigree for a guy taken late in the 1st round when comparing him to a guy taken early in the 1st round. Not that draft pedigree really matters in your d+4 season but ya very odd.

Are you saying there is no risk that B Tkachuk wont become as good as his brother? You then go on a long rant whereby you assumed my opinion (that Nylander = Tkachuk) which I never said so I'm not really going to reply to that.

The game has changed drastically since 2000 and if you tried to play the game the same way now you would be in the basement every year. The game is about speed now, toughness is obviously important too. A willingness to go to the dirty areas etc but this obsession with truculance is crazy and dated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitch nylander

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I do believe the Leafs take it and run yes. It fills a giant need and upgrades their top end. I also explained why it makes even less sense for Ottawa.

I am agreeing those players have value but I still think Toronto does it. Players like Tkachuk are extremely unique and fills a giant need for Toronto.
Umm no the giant need for Toronto is competent defence. This deal takes out 2 holes in the lineup a good prospect and a pick and adds in one suitable replacement for one of the holes. Use common sense.

Im quite positive there wouldn’t even be an increase offensively or defensively with the Leafs or in their system so why the f*** would the leafs do it?

Let alone take it and run lol.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I would love Tkachuk on the Leafs. Perfect compliant to either of our top 2 lines. Nylander is going to be a higher point producer in this league. When everything starts to come together he will be above a ppg player. I have no doubt in this and never have. The underlying numbers have always been there. I'd still think Tkachuk would be a much better fit for our team in Toronto and would jump on it if it was close to straight up or even with a medium size add. I dont think Ottawa would consider that though

The add on's in this trade are absurd though. In the short time since the last draft Robertson has probably upped his stock more than any player drafted outside of the 2 kids dmen who made their teams outta canp. He is leading the OHL in goals and last I checked tied in points. I'm not saying this as only a Leaf fan but he looks to be a steal. I think he'd go in the top 15 right now in a redraft and higher than that after the WJC. Kerfoot is a very solid 3rd line center. I didnt know a tonne about him when we got him but hes much better than Colordo fans said. I dont know what they saw. Colorado isn't a very deep team imo and maybe he didn't have the right people to play with and you add on a 2nd? That's way too much.

Ottawa has the worst roster in the league imo for the second year in a row and their depth is horrendous. This would be a very good trade for them to make. If they said no I think it would be a mistake. If the Leafs gave that much they would be stupid...

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
When has Tkachuck proven he is better than Nylander? He hasnt proven that yet...Maybe he will become better but atm he has never matched Nylanders production.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Is the OP Keith Tkachuk by any chance? I can't think of anyone else out there that could have such an unrealistic view of how valuable Brady is. There's overpayments, and then there's this.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
To Leafs
B. Tkachuk- Adds goal scoring and grit.

Sens-
W. Nylander-skilled centre or winger
Kerfoot-speedy centre
N. Robertson- Leaf prospect averaging 2pts a game with the Peterborough Petes in OHL
2nd rd pick 2021

5 games into the season and you guys are already trying to package out future selke winner Alex Kerfoot?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Personally, I dont think the value is off. Substitute some futures in place of Kerfoot which both sides would prefer anyways. But Ottawa still doesnt do this deal, it makes zero sense for them, unlike Toronto.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Personally, I dont think the value is off. Substitute some futures in place of Kerfoot which both sides would prefer anyways. But Ottawa still doesnt do this deal, it makes zero sense for them, unlike Toronto.
The value is definitely off, and it makes zero sense for Toronto

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
another important factor is how short a shelf life Power Forwards have.
...Benn is a great example, and BT may not even reach Benn's level (before his plummet)
doesnt mean i dont like Tkachuk, or think he is not a skilled player, and he would be a great fit, but, any skillful power forward would be a great fit on the Leafs on the LEFT SIDE but, the value is very bad, and is full of shiny new toy syndrome.
Let Tkachuk break 50 points before you say he is better, and i doube he is any better in the d-zone either. Nylander is a takeaway machine, even when he isnt producing.

Personally, i'd need to think hard on a straight up trade, the one proposed is laughable, but, i have been a Nylander fan since before he was drafted.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When has Tkachuck proven he is better than Nylander? He hasnt proven that yet...Maybe he will become better but atm he has never matched Nylanders production.

Wonder what Nylander does on the Sens team? Worse than Tkachuk IMO.

Wonder if Gardiner will ever get to 40 pts again?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I agree the Sens say no. If they trade Tkachuk, they are looking for a legit top 2C. Nylander is not a center and I bet you he struggles on that Sens team without his buddy Matthews.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
The value is definitely off, and it makes zero sense for Toronto

There is a premium to be paid on a player like Tkachuk, not unlike when Quebec traded for Wendel. Its hard to find comparables because these types of players are rare and seldom traded, so it's not easy to define their exact value. Tkachuk makes us a better playoff team imho.

Jan 21, 2018
I can’t believe there are leaf fans saying they wouldn’t trade Nylander+ for Tkachuk.

Sorry sens fans, what a terrible proposal by OP.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Nylander, Kerfoot, a prospect with 12g/19pts in 10 games and a 2nd.....

what?

leafs laugh and hang up. How awful would this look if Tkachuk settles in as a 50-60pt 2nd liner?

yikes

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Ok put Colin White on Matthews wing and lets see how much he scores. If all the leafs were as good as you all claim they are they would have a playoff series win by now.

47 points while playing responsible defensively a more important position, a heavier and grittier game including PK while scoring at a higher ppg pace in the same season with worse linemates. Yeah they are comparable its fine if you dont agree. Nylander is paid more compared to his peers like every leaf that that Dubas's signed. Pretty hard to use that as a standard when its clear Dubas has been taken to the woodshed with all three of Nylander, Marner and Matthews when you look at their comparables.

Risk with Tkachuk... Tune into a game he is a force all over the ice producing with worse linemates than anyone in the leafs top 6 on a really bad team. Tkachuk and Nylander simply arent in the same range Tkachuk outscores him at a younger age while bringing undeniably way more to the table. They couldnt be any more different players, if Nylander isnt scoring he isnt contributing. I watch the leafs plenty they are an incredibly exciting team and lets get serious if you want to watch or not they are on. I dont know how anyone that watches that team all the time cant identify that Nylander is a complimentary player to a forward core of Matthews, Marner and Tavares. Like I said try watching another team other than the leafs it will be enlightening. If Tkachuk was a leaf this wouldnt even be a conversation. Its common knowledge the networks over hype leaf players they always have, its how they make money. Some leafs desever the hype and others dont. Nylander doesnt, Kelly Hrudey's rant was 100 percent accurate in the playoffs last year I have no interest of having a player like that on my team in anything but a complimentary role. Not for a second would I ever considering trading a player like Tkachuk for him. This isnt fantasy sports there is a heavy physical attribute to hockey that makes a difference.

As a leaf fan has your opinion changed since the early 2000's or were you even a fan of those teams? When grit, truculance etc was important now it isnt?....

As a long time sens fan if the sens could have traded Havlat for player like Tkachuk it would have happened but it simply doesnt. So no Nylander for Tkachuk isnt happening.

you and everyone else makes the Leafs out to be like the Caps who were getting bounced by worse teams every year. Like theyve lost to Boston a top 5 team the last 2 years in the first round, and they played a Caps team that won the presidence trophy while making rhe playoffs in a year where they were expected to be a lottery team. If they beat Pittsburgh and lost to Boston in the 2nd round does that actually change anything?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad