Proposal: W. Nylander, Kerfoot, N. Robertson For B. Tkachuk

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yes it is and here is why. Tkachuk is exactly the type of player the leafs need they just arent getting him for that package.

The confusion here lies in leaf fans thinking Kerfoot Robertson and the 2nd really carry any extra value for Ottawa. The sens have 5 second round picks in the next 2 drafts. They just drafted 3 players ahead of Robertson last year (i like the player but he doesnt fill a need). At center they have White, Brown, Tierney, Pageau, Chlapik, Ansimov, and Norris. There is absolutely no need for Kerfoot, he brings nothing they dont already have.

So ultimately its Tkachuk for Nylander which only the most biased Leaf fan would possibly think that Nylander carries more value. He has been an absolute no show in the playoffs and is a complimentary piece. Tkachuk is already a way more impactful player and has way more developing to go. He is a force already and plays with White and a fill in plug. Tkachuk isnt close to being done he put on 15 pounds last year and is still growing. While Nylander as a smaller skilled player is ptetty much finished developing. The sens need elite first line players not going to be doing a quantity for quality trade when the team has so little quality to begin with.

So ill say it again would the leafs do White, Tierney, Pinto and a 2nd for Marner? No they wouldnt same package as the leafs have provided for the sens.
There is no confusion.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Yes it is and here is why. Tkachuk is exactly the type of player the leafs need they just arent getting him for that package.

The confusion here lies in leaf fans thinking Kerfoot Robertson and the 2nd really carry any extra value for Ottawa. The sens have 5 second round picks in the next 2 drafts. They just drafted 3 players ahead of Robertson last year (i like the player but he doesnt fill a need). At center they have White, Brown, Tierney, Pageau, Chlapik, Ansimov, and Norris. There is absolutely no need for Kerfoot, he brings nothing they dont already have.

So ultimately its Tkachuk for Nylander which only the most biased Leaf fan would possibly think that Nylander carries more value. He has been an absolute no show in the playoffs and is a complimentary piece. Tkachuk is already a way more impactful player and has way more developing to go. He is a force already and plays with White and a fill in plug. Tkachuk isnt close to being done he put on 15 pounds last year and is still growing. While Nylander as a smaller skilled player is ptetty much finished developing. The sens need elite first line players not going to be doing a quantity for quality trade when the team has so little quality to begin with.

So ill say it again would the leafs do White, Tierney, Pinto and a 2nd for Marner? No they wouldnt same package as the leafs have provided for the sens.
White is not near as good as Nylander and Brady Tkachuk isnt remotely close to Mitch Marner.

All the example does it tarnish your opinion.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
White is not near as good as Nylander and Brady Tkachuk isnt remotely close to Mitch Marner.

All the example does it tarnish your opinion.
White outscored Nylander last season... Has draft pedigree and was an incredible college/international player prior to turning pro. He is from one of the best drafts in a long time and actually plays center, is defensively responsible while being great in the dot on a way better contract. I fail to see how he isnt comparable to Nylander from a value perspective. He also goes to the net and scores dirty goals. Not similar in style but from a value perspective they arent far off from one another.

Tkachuk is on the same trajectory as his brother except he is bigger and scores more goals. His value should be similar to his brother who isnt far off from Marner.

Brady Tkachuks value is alot closer to Marner than Nylander. I know in leaf land you guys think the world revolves around Toronto but other fans actually watch other teams. I have no delusions about my team they are terrible. The sens have 4 real assets currently playing on the team I know how bad they are. I also follow other teams, try it out.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
White outscored Nylander last season... Has draft pedigree (????) and was an incredible college/international player prior to turning pro. He is from one of the best drafts in a long time and actually plays center, is defensively responsible while being great in the dot on a way better contract. I fail to see how he isnt comparable to Nylander from a value perspective. He also goes to the net and scores dirty goals. Not similar in style but from a value perspective they arent far off from one another.

Tkachuk is on the same trajectory as his brother except he is bigger and scores more goals. His value should be similar to his brother who isnt far off from Marner.

Brady Tkachuks value is alot closer to Marner than Nylander. I know in leaf land you guys think the world revolves around Toronto but other fans actually watch other teams. I have no delusions about my team they are terrible. The sens have 4 real assets currently playing on the team I know how bad they are. I also follow other teams, try it out.
So White put up a 47 point pace (his best so far) in his draft+4 season. Nylander's very worst season in which he missed almost half the year and was universally hated on this website, put up at a 41 point pace. Not that different...

Nylander put up 61 points in his draft+3 and draft+4 season. White is on a better contract because he is a significantly worse player. Nylander is a pretty defensively responsible player and had one of the most recoveries/60 (or something similar) in the neutral zone the last few years. You have said many comments that leads me to think you havent actually watched Nylander often but seem to have a lot of cliche opinions on him that your set on.

Funny you talk about trajectory, putting up 61 points in your draft+3 and draft+4 season projects a much higher ceiling player than someone who put up a 47 point pace in their draft+4 season. Hence why Nylander is paid more.

Your just ignoring all the risk that he doesnt pan out the exact same as his brother who plays in a much different situation. Having a guaranteed commodity vs a still developing commodity with a chance at being as good as the guaranteed are very different things and shouldnt be equated. I think this season will determine if Brady's value is closer to Marner's than Nylander's. We dont know yet, hence the risk.

Lol and the cherry on top telling me to watch other teams when you clearly dont watch the leafs but are adamant on your opinions of them. Good times.

Last edited:

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
To Leafs
B. Tkachuk- Adds goal scoring and grit.

Sens-
W. Nylander-skilled centre or winger
Kerfoot-speedy centre
N. Robertson- Leaf prospect averaging 2pts a game with the Peterborough Petes in OHL
2nd rd pick 2021

I floated Tkachuk to Toronto in one thread and I honestly think this is what Toronto really needs to take a run at the cup.

The benefit to Ottawa is to get better assets for the cap space.
The benefit to Toronto is the 2 years of cap space during their window.
The problem is Melnyk who has to pay for Nylander.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ottawa will not trade Tkachuk.......Until his next contract ,and our next rebuild

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So White put up a 47 point pace (his best so far) in his draft+4 season. Nylander's very worst season in which he missed almost half the year and was universally hated on this website, put up at a 41 point pace. Not that different...

Nylander put up 61 points in his draft+3 and draft+4 season. White is on a better contract because he is a significantly worse player. Nylander is a pretty defensively responsible player and had one of the most recoveries/60 (or something similar) in the neutral zone the last few years. You have said many comments that leads me to think you havent actually watched Nylander often but seem to have a lot of cliche opinions on him that your set on.

Funny you talk about trajectory, putting up 61 points in your draft+3 and draft+4 season projects a much higher ceiling player than someone who put up a 47 point pace in their draft+4 season. Hence why Nylander is paid more.

Your just ignoring all the risk that he doesnt pan out the exact same as his brother who plays in a much different situation. Having a guaranteed commodity vs a still developing commodity with a chance at being as good as the guaranteed are very different things and shouldnt be equated. I think this season will determine if Brady's value is closer to Marner's than Nylander's. We dont know yet, hence the risk.

Lol and the cherry on top telling me to watch other teams when you clearly dont watch the leafs but are adamant on your opinions of them. Good times.

Ok put Colin White on Matthews wing and lets see how much he scores. If all the leafs were as good as you all claim they are they would have a playoff series win by now.

47 points while playing responsible defensively a more important position, a heavier and grittier game including PK while scoring at a higher ppg pace in the same season with worse linemates. Yeah they are comparable its fine if you dont agree. Nylander is paid more compared to his peers like every leaf that that Dubas's signed. Pretty hard to use that as a standard when its clear Dubas has been taken to the woodshed with all three of Nylander, Marner and Matthews when you look at their comparables.

Risk with Tkachuk... Tune into a game he is a force all over the ice producing with worse linemates than anyone in the leafs top 6 on a really bad team. Tkachuk and Nylander simply arent in the same range Tkachuk outscores him at a younger age while bringing undeniably way more to the table. They couldnt be any more different players, if Nylander isnt scoring he isnt contributing. I watch the leafs plenty they are an incredibly exciting team and lets get serious if you want to watch or not they are on. I dont know how anyone that watches that team all the time cant identify that Nylander is a complimentary player to a forward core of Matthews, Marner and Tavares. Like I said try watching another team other than the leafs it will be enlightening. If Tkachuk was a leaf this wouldnt even be a conversation. Its common knowledge the networks over hype leaf players they always have, its how they make money. Some leafs desever the hype and others dont. Nylander doesnt, Kelly Hrudey's rant was 100 percent accurate in the playoffs last year I have no interest of having a player like that on my team in anything but a complimentary role. Not for a second would I ever considering trading a player like Tkachuk for him. This isnt fantasy sports there is a heavy physical attribute to hockey that makes a difference.

As a leaf fan has your opinion changed since the early 2000's or were you even a fan of those teams? When grit, truculance etc was important now it isnt?....

As a long time sens fan if the sens could have traded Havlat for player like Tkachuk it would have happened but it simply doesnt. So no Nylander for Tkachuk isnt happening.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
LMAO at those thinking Nylander is as valuable as Tkachuk. It's closer to the OP proposal than it is straight up 1 for 1.

The extra fluff means nothing to Ottawa they have lots of assets just like those they need quality not quantity. So no Ottawa says no to this trade and doesnt think twice. The leafs needs a player like Tkachuk but they are barking up the wrong tree.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

wow. I don't even know where to start, you got me with your superior non-Leaf fan hockey knowledge.

that's some very impressive talent for Ottawa. Tkachuk comparable to Marner and White better than Nylander. and you're so deep that Kerfoot and Robertson are "fluff".

sens are clearly headed to the top of the league, I will watch with interest.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
The extra fluff means nothing to Ottawa they have lots of assets just like those they need quality not quantity. So no Ottawa says no to this trade and doesnt think twice. The leafs needs a player like Tkachuk but they are barking up the wrong tree.

My comment did not refer to the trades viability, only to its comparison of value.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

The confusion here lies in leaf fans thinking Kerfoot Robertson and the 2nd really carry any extra value for Ottawa.
Hon? When you assess whether or not a team would accept a trade, normally you need to look at whether the assets going to or from said team represent value to them as well as the other team. Those guys may not carry extra value for Ottawa, but that doesn't mean they're useless to Toronto.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hon? When you assess whether or not a team would accept a trade, normally you need to look at whether the assets going to or from said team represent value to them as well as the other team. Those guys may not carry extra value for Ottawa, but that doesn't mean they're useless to Toronto.

Sure, but the premise that is being argued is that the sens would take the deal and I believe I have explained as well as possible why they would not.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sure, but the premise that is being argued is that the sens would take the deal
Stop right there.

The post I was replying to, in which you made that argument, was made in reply to these:

That is not true.

And those posts were in reply to this assertion made by you:
The leafs take it and run the only team that says no is Ottawa.
(emphasis added)

You quite clearly stated "The leafs take it and run", and then started going on about why it wouldn't be valuable for Ottawa. That's supporting evidence against Ottawa taking the deal. It is explicitly not evidence for Toronto taking the deal. Deals can be bad for both sides.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Stop right there.

The post I was replying to, in which you made that argument, was made in reply to these:

And those posts were in reply to this assertion made by you:

(emphasis added)

You quite clearly stated "The leafs take it and run", and then started going on about why it wouldn't be valuable for Ottawa. That's supporting evidence against Ottawa taking the deal. It is explicitly not evidence for Toronto taking the deal. Deals can be bad for both sides.

I do believe the Leafs take it and run yes. It fills a giant need and upgrades their top end. I also explained why it makes even less sense for Ottawa.

I am agreeing those players have value but I still think Toronto does it. Players like Tkachuk are extremely unique and fills a giant need for Toronto.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I do believe the Leafs take it and run yes. It fills a giant need and upgrades their top end. I also explained why it makes even less sense for Ottawa.

I am agreeing those players have value but I still think Toronto does it. Players like Tkachuk are extremely unique and fills a giant need for Toronto.
Your logical fallacy is special pleading

Stick to a claim and explain it, rather than jumping back and forth.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Tkachuk give Leafs some sand they need after trading away Kadri! Ottawa gets a young playmaker for years!

Marner for Tkachuk!

Leafs should rather go after Chabot but he's almost untouchable!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad