W.Nylander for C.Mitts?

Would you trade Casey Mittelstadt for William Nylander?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
The grass is always greener I guess. Posters here would rip Nylander apart with the way he plays. But if you want to trade a potential franchise piece for a 60 point one dimensional winger go ahead. Mitts has that competitive, tenacious aspect to his game that sets him apart from Willie IMO.

How is Nylander any more one dimensional than Mittlestadt?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The grass is always greener I guess. Posters here would rip Nylander apart with the way he plays. But if you want to trade a potential franchise piece for a 60 point one dimensional winger go ahead. Mitts has that competitive, tenacious aspect to his game that sets him apart from Willie IMO.
Most people here seem to be just fine with Jack Eichel...

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I don't think I've seen a single thing on the ice at any level that would indicate Casey is a "franchise piece." A guy that can become a very good piece for your team? Sure. But the only thing that I've ever seen to indicate a "franchise piece" is what is written here and by 2 or 3 rando prospect "gurus" that don't actually teach me anything about prospects that this place plus a couple of watchings could

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
seems premature to write him off just like its premature to write off Reinhart ever being a center. If given the chance I am sure both having played the position all thru juniors would know the ins and out to being a center, they just have to learn at the NHL level, its not like converting a winger to center.

Did Nylander not play center on the Marlies championship team?

To answer your question he played C fairly successfully in the AHL (not the championship team), broke into the league as a C (20 something game season), and then played C again when Matthews was injured last season. He has shown capable, but not yet comfortable at C. If a team acquired him to play C, I believe he wouldnt look out of place and with enough experience could be a true NHL C. Babcock also makes him take the strong side draw so he is pretty decent on the dot as well.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Did Nylander succeed at center much??

Doesn’t matter Toronto would have no reason to do this
He looked OK in the time he was there but that wasn't very many games. Leafs just had too many other options to put him there and it's only gotten harder to justify putting him at centre on the top three lines with Matthews, Tavares, and Kadri a lot more proven. But I think given the chance he would do just fine there.

Reactions: sabrebuild

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Does anyone think that the trade would help his brother Alex at becoming a pro.
This question is the wild card, to me at least, and legitimately relevant. Could create a Sedin-like (Sedin-lite) scenario in Buffalo.

Center or wing? Wing or center? To me that's potayto / potahto.

Age? Their gap is small enough not to be relevant to me (as Myllz noted).
Contract too rich? Until Nylander is signed we won't know how venemous our harumphing should be.

Let's flip the hypothetical the other way:
https://torontosun.com/sports/hocke...nd-wrong-for-either-side-in-ongoing-stalemate
1. What would you want from TOR in return for Alex Nylander in late November? Assume W. continues to hold out and A. is called up now and performs adequately until then.

2. Knowing there's a Dec. 1 deadline in order to play this season, should the Sabres be offering a price and term in the 6 or 7 x $7.2 - $7.4M range? And send TOR some of their crap, like Okposo with $ retained, etc.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
No.

My main reason - there have been numerous games I have watched W. Nylander play where I have questioned his effort and compete level.

We already have enough guys like that...

With Casey, I see a player who usually gives his all when he’s on the ice.
I’ll take the gamble with Casey...

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
The fact that he's still holding out is reason enough for me to steer clear of the guy. There's an ego at work there that I want nothing to do with.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The fact that he's still holding out is reason enough for me to steer clear of the guy. There's an ego at work there that I want nothing to do with.

So he (and, later, Matthews and Marner) should take less because Shanny says they did it in Detroit?

I think there are egos at work in that negotiation. And I think the biggest one is residing in the MLSE offices.

Reactions: Aladyyn and Jim Bob

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Agreed, but buffalo can’t fit whim without a dump, so keep the ELC player unless Toronto is willing to play BogoBall
Toronto would definitely need to take cap back, but I'm not sure they can really afford to take back term on a cap dump (and really, it's hard to see Bogosian as anything more than that right now).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad