W.Nylander for C.Mitts?

Would you trade Casey Mittelstadt for William Nylander?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He was drafted as a center.

So was Reinhart.
Nylander is a winger in the NHL. Even ignoring the (likely) absurd contract Nylander's holding out for and the fact that I think Mittelstadt winds up the better player down the road, we need a 2C to slot behind Eichel. Centers are vastly more important to team-building than wingers.

Reactions: Goathead

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
So was Reinhart.
Nylander is a winger in the NHL. Even ignoring the (likely) absurd contract Nylander's holding out for and the fact that I think Mittelstadt winds up the better player down the road, we need a 2C to slot behind Eichel. Centers are vastly more important to team-building than wingers.
seems premature to write him off just like its premature to write off Reinhart ever being a center. If given the chance I am sure both having played the position all thru juniors would know the ins and out to being a center, they just have to learn at the NHL level, its not like converting a winger to center.

Did Nylander not play center on the Marlies championship team?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
seems premature to write him off just like its premature to write off Reinhart ever being a center. If given the chance I am sure both having played the position all thru juniors would know the ins and out to being a center, they just have to learn at the NHL level, its not like converting a winger to center.

Did Nylander not play center on the Marlies championship team?

He played center for the Leafs when Matthews was injured.
How Has William Nylander Fared at Centre?

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
It's funny that anyone here even thinks this is close. Nylander has succeeded at NHL level. Only thing making it close would be rookie contract status and didn't Sabres burn a year?

It isn't close. We would be crazy to trade Casey for Nylander. He has the better skillset, is younger, and is more cost controlled. He has the potential to be a franchise piece (which Nylander IMO is not).

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
It isn't close. We would be crazy to trade Casey for Nylander. He has the better skillset, is younger, and is more cost controlled. He has the potential to be a franchise piece (which Nylander IMO is not).
Casey does not have the better skill-set. Nylander's skill level is off the charts. There may be reasons that Casey ends up having a better career, but that won't be it if it happens.

Nylander's post-draft season was better than Casey's - they had essentially identical points-per-game but Nylander's was in the AHL, and Casey's was in college.

They have pretty similar ceilings (but different styles at those ceilings) and one is a lot closer to it because of the obvious development time being used quite well by the player and team, which is far from a guarantee to get from any prospect.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
So was Reinhart.
I agree with this. I hold on to Casey, but Nylander as a winger is something I can get onboard with, without that 8 million aav number he's asking for of course. Just not for Casey.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
GMBot offers Casey for Willie and Dubas signs off on it. GMBot sends Casey Fitzgerald to Toronto and when Dubas freaks out says... just kidding, I'll send along the other Casey.

Casey Nelson for W. Nylander confirmed.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
We're far enough away that I'd rather gamble on Mitts ceiling long term, than sell that for a big money player like Willy that may or may not thrive on this team right now.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It's enticing, because William is the better player now and (probably) going forward. But, as Struck noted, we probably can't afford his extension. I'm still a "yes," because, to quote young scholar Marlo Stanfield, "that sounds like one of them good problems."

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I find it amusing some are pulling the "he's younger" argument in favor of Casey when Nylander is 22.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
The grass is always greener I guess. Posters here would rip Nylander apart with the way he plays. But if you want to trade a potential franchise piece for a 60 point one dimensional winger go ahead. Mitts has that competitive, tenacious aspect to his game that sets him apart from Willie IMO.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Mittelstadt has potential to be even better than Nylander, imo. Mittelstadt is a center, Nylander is a winger. Who would play 2C?

Give Mittelstadt a chance to 'prove himself'' he's only 19 and has 6 points in his first 10 career games. William Nylander is 22 soon to be 23.

This is just a ridiculous thought if Botterill were to actually consider it.

He's 19 and is worth more as a center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->