W Nikita Kucherov (2011, 58th overall, Tampa Bay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I'd take him with a 2nd, even with the chance he doesn't come over.

High-end skill, worth the risk IMO.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Nobody in this draft has the lightning quick release and shot this kid has -I have not seen anything like it since Mike Bossy----I also saw this kid play with urgency and using forecheck and backcheeck in the game vs. Canada -so the poster who said he was just another skilled butsoft one-way type f Russkie seems way off base to me..

6'0 165 is not "small" --yes he needs to fill out and bulk up--BUT he could be a once in a generation type SNIPER --you don't need those guys to be board dominators-aslong as they commit to be willing to check to a decent level of non-incompetence then that is all you can desire ...but with that special release and shot -wellvery few guys have it to the degree this kid does...

What you do is find a spot for that giftof talent. You then compliment him with a 2-way centre and a Big tough LW to do the dirty work for the line--THEN you have Gillies Trottier and Bossy "magic" --well tis kid COULD be another Bossy --mix him with the right other 2 elemnts either already on your team or in your pipeline OR maybe you have 1 of the other 2 elemnnts only--then draft or trade for the missing element of such a trio...BUT the hardest part of putting together such a trio is the
once in a generation SNIPER type..they just do not come around often.

So this kid is either Bossy re-done OR he'llbustas another Chistov Russkie who cannot adjust to NA rinks and life over in the NHl --that is one risk along with the KHL risk...BUT if the kid's agents tell him he could be an NHL superstar--and if he can adjust to the NA rinks,style and lifestyle THEN you could win the bet bigtime-maybe the BPA of this draft-that is how good the talent looks..

So he is the real WILDCARD now in this draft--how high willhe go .Some team my gamble a lot earlier than most would think. So big risk-but potentially the very highest of payoffs...the release and shot ARE SPECIAL -goalies do not stand much of a chance..

Reactions: The Macho Man

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I agree with you, this guy is not a one way forward he has the skills to pick peoples pockets and even fore check like you said just watch his game against Canada but the fact is even though he is not a huge guy hes still only 17 years old atm turning 18 in June so its not like its a big deal he still has plenty of time to bulk up but whats really amazing is at the age of 17 the kid was able to hold his own and do amazing in the KHL so the kid has mad potential.

Also I would like to comment on the whole develop in NA or develop in Russia it really all comes down to the players style. If your tearing up Juniors already would coming over to NA to just play in a junior like atmosphere really help you? I don't think so. They might as well stay over in the KHL like Kuelmin did and when they are ready take the jump to the NHL if they so chose.

Anyways whoever picks Nikita they are getting a player with a shot, speed, stick skills, hockey sense and even the ability to pass. Looking at some mock drafts they have this guy going late I see someone stepping up and taking him in the late 1st round or early 2nd.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I think it'll take a big market team to draft him like Toronto, Montreal, Boston, places like that to convince him to come over. He'd be playing on the biggest stages in the world and be coming to the best organizations.

(Not saying any of those teams would draft him though)

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I agree with you, this guy is not a one way forward he has the skills to pick peoples pockets and even fore check like you said just watch his game against Canada but the fact is even though he is not a huge guy hes still only 17 years old atm turning 18 in June so its not like its a big deal he still has plenty of time to bulk up but whats really amazing is at the age of 17 the kid was able to hold his own and do amazing in the KHL so the kid has mad potential.

Also I would like to comment on the whole develop in NA or develop in Russia it really all comes down to the players style. If your tearing up Juniors already would coming over to NA to just play in a junior like atmosphere really help you? I don't think so. They might as well stay over in the KHL like Kuelmin did and when they are ready take the jump to the NHL if they so chose.

Anyways whoever picks Nikita they are getting a player with a shot, speed, stick skills, hockey sense and even the ability to pass. Looking at some mock drafts they have this guy going late I see someone stepping up and taking him in the late 1st round or early 2nd.

Despite his talent, I don't think anybody will pick Kucherov in 1st/2nd round unless they're very certain he's committed to playing in N.A.

Nowadays, I can't see a team spending a high pick on somebody they might have to play the 'will he/won't he come over' game with.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Despite his talent, I don't think anybody will pick Kucherov in 1st/2nd round unless they're very certain he's committed to playing in N.A.

Nowadays, I can't see a team spending a high pick on somebody they might have to play the 'will he/won't he come over' game with.

I agree to an extent. The teams in rebuild mode will not chance a high pick on a guy who may not come over. However, I believe that a team that is close to the playoffs, or close to the cup and are just missing that "piece" will make the pick without hesitation.

Also, I think the fear of him coming not coming over are a bit overstated. I read an interview a few weeks back where he said his grandparents (I think. Maybe parents, I read it a while back) are already in the US.

EDIT: Found the article. It says his parents have been living in New York for the last 2 years:

А вы про Нью-Йорк расскажите поподробнее…

– Родители уже два года там живут. Отец у меня военный, его туда отправили в командировку, а мама с ним как настоящая жена офицера. Когда я был моложе, они на три года уезжали в Уругвай, а меня оставляли с бабушкой, тетей и братом. А родился я в Адыгее, в Майкопе. Это юг России, и никакого хоккея там нет. К счастью, когда мне было полгода, родители переехали в Москву.

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/454965

Last edited:

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Craig Button's Top 30 for 2011 NHL Draft (List updated May 24th)
1. RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS C 6'0 170 L Apr. 12/93 Red Deer WHL
2. JONATHAN HUBERDEAU C 6'1 168 L June 4/93 Saint John QMJHL
3. GABRIEL LANDESKOG LW 6'0 207 L Nov. 23/92 Kitchener OHL
4. RYAN MURPHY D 5'10 176 R Mar. 31/93 Kitchener OHL
5. ADAM LARSSON D 6'3 200 R Nov. 12/92 Skelleftea SweE
6. MIKA ZIBANEJAD C 6'0 183 R Apr. 18/93 Djurgarden SJ18A
7. SEAN COUTURIER C 6'4 195 L Dec. 12/92 Drummondville QMJHL
8. NATHAN BEAULIEU D 6'1 176 L Dec. 5/92 Saint John QMJHL
9. RYAN STROME C 6'0 183 R July 11/93 Niagara OHL
10. JAMIESON OLEKSIAK D 6'7 244 L Dec. 21/92 Northeastern H.E,
11. DOUGIE HAMILTON D 6'4 193 R Jun. 17/93 Niagara OHL
12. SVEN BARTSCHI LW 5'11 175 L Oct. 5/92 Portland WHL
13. MATTHEW PUEMPEL LW 6'0 198 L Jan. 24/93 Peterborough OHL
14. MARK SCHEIFELE C 6'2 177 R Mar. 15/93 Barrie OHL
15. JONAS BRODIN D 6'1 165 L July 12/93 Farjestad Sweden
16. PHILLIP DANAULT LW 6'0 178 L Feb. 24/93 Victoriaville QMJHL
17. JOEL ARMIA RW 6'3 191 R May 31/93 Assat FinE
18. NIKITA KUCHEROV W 5'10 163 R June 17/93 CSKA 2 Russia-Jr.
19. BRANDON SAAD LW 6'1 208 L Oct. 27/92 Saginaw OHL
20. ZACK PHILLIPS C 6'1 181 R Oct. 28/92 Saint John QMJHL
21. TOMAS JURCO RW 6'2 193 L Dec. 28/92 Saint John QMJHL
22. OSCAR KLEFBLOM C 6'3 200 D July 20/93 Farjestad Sweden
23. VLADISLAV NAMESTNIKOV F 5'11 170 L Nov. 22/92 London OHL
24. TY RATTIE LW 5'11 170 R Feb. 5/93 Portland WHL
25. JOSEPH MORROW D 6'0 196 L Dec. 9/92 Portland WHL
26. CONNOR MURPHY D 6'2 185 R Mar. 26/93 USA U-18 USHL
27. NICKLAS JENSEN F 6'2 188 L Mar. 6/93 Oshawa OHL
28. JOHN GIBSON G 6'2 205 L Jul. 14/93 USA U-18 WHL
29. RICKARD RAKELL RW 6'0 191 R May 5/93 Plymouth OHL
30. JONATHAN MILLER C 6'2 205 L Mar. 14/93 USA U-18 USHL

Get ready to rearrange your mock drafts. Someone is finally showing some first round Kuchie-Koo Love.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
so if stays in the KHL he sign a 3 yr deal with CSKA lets say then after that he free to come to what ever NHL he was drafted by or sign a new KHL deal is that right ?

Yes, that is correct, after Kucherov completes his KHL service, his NHL rights would still belong, for all intents and purposes, to the NHL team that drafts him in 2011.

Its worth noting though, KHL deals are not guaranteed. And therefore, either party has the right to void any remaining term of their contract if they so choose. (Evgeny Nabakov is a an example of a player voiding his contract, and Kyle Wellwood is an example of where the team voided the player's contract.

Back to Nikita Kucherov, I would hazard to guess that he will remain in the KHL until at least the completion of the 2013-14 (that's three post-NHL draft seasons) since this path will better ensure a roster spot with the Russian Olympic team for the 2014 Sochi games. In addition, Kucherov may have grown up in Moscow, but he was born in a far away town called Maykop, which is relatively close to Sochi, both situated near the majestic Black Sea...

CrimeaBlackSea.jpg

Proposed Olympic Village for Sochi (man-made island shaped like the map of Russia)...

federation-island-sochi-russia-1.jpg

Last edited:

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Would love to see the Red Wings take him with their 1st. Has their style of play written all over him.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Craig Button has him at #18 on his top 30 list now...that is the highest spot for him I've seen any scouting expert or ranking org ..

I keep debating with myself about the risk /reward ---even if teams do not take the risk for their first rounder with him despite the fact he is as talented a BPA as any top 5 forward in this draft if not even the best BPA of them all --I cannot see him getting past rond 2 at the latest-especially if teams having multiple picks--speaking of which--COLORADO has 2 picks in round #1--IF they agree KUCHEROV could be a special BPA -maybe they use the #11 overall for him? Even if they have to wait 3 more years before he comes over..

Anyway he is the WILDCARD of this draft--could go round one even earlier than anyone expects---OR the NHL teams could just stay with safer picks who do not have to compete with the KHL for his services. Impatient teams will obviously pass on him if they are counting on infusing their first rounder right away (like with Skinner and CAR) or even in 2 years-- to know you won't see this guy for 3 seasons -it means a team at the top and with a ready stockpile from their farm for infusion MIGHT risk a first rounder on him and simply wait for him-but the teams who can't afford such a wait -willnot..

IRONICALLY such expectation for only LATE first round to probably mid -2nd at the latest -especially for teams with multiple 2nds-- have the effect of lowering theNHL team cap for Kucherov's entry deal when he signs it VS. if he went per his BPA value (as a top 5) where the cap hit is a lot more...THIS means KHL teams may be able to fend off the NHL even longer than the 3 years unless Kucherov goes early first round..So this "delay" in risking on him actually increases the risk he might not come over -if he becomes a huge KHL star maybe they throw gobs of $$$ at him to jeep him there.

THUS the RISK on him given the KHL reality is really a sort of double risk ..IF a team takes him very early in round one-they have a better chance of getting him over earlier...the longer you delay selecting him--the greater the KHL risk theykeep himlonger...so he is a fascinating WILDCARD for this draft..Will an NHL team surprise us (a la BLAKE WHEELER) and send the TSN draft panel and Bob McKenzieinto apoplexy on the surprise "going off the board" according to their rankings?

THE draft early surprise scenario also must way the "small market" risk factor--MAYBE KUCHEROV would not stay in Russia if NYR drafts him at #15 but would stay home if say WINNIPEG tookhimat #7 even thogh he'd get a bigger Entry contract earning potential (if he makes all his bonuses)?

So KUCHEROV given all these issues IS the MIMITD (Most Interesting Man In The Draft)--how this resolves willbe fascinating to watch.. WHO risks on himand how soon?

Fulcrum

It's tough to say if he is more or less talented than Tarasenko - but he was in a similar situation last year. And Tarasenko only went 16th and had quiet a bit more hype around him. Not to even mention Kuznetsov at 26th...

Kucherov is not "clearly" more talented (if at all) than the 2 above were at this point last year, and he is much less hyped IMO. He is also smaller and hasn't been exposed to KHL nearly as much. Being in CSKA at this point also makes it more likely that he will stay longer in Russia.

As exciting and promising as he is, I still see him only in early to mid 2nd round. It's not that he has downsides, more like a pack of undesirables.

KuliTank7

May 8, 2011
South Florida
Only the fact, that he has an release and shot like Mike Bossy should consider him as a top 10 pick.

I wouldn´t mind to draft him at #3 :handclap:

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
I would take HF50's comparisons with a grain of salt. He was touting Turris as the next Gretzky a few years back.

Eugene85

Jan 25, 2010
Russia
I would take HF50's comparisons with a grain of salt. He was touting Turris as the next Gretzky a few years back.
Someone should take Kucherov at 2011 and Grigorenko at 2012. This is the strongest couple in the world, I think(my english is bad, I know)

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Someone should take Kucherov at 2011 and Grigorenko at 2012. This is the strongest couple in the world, I think(my english is bad, I know)

Oilers have them under their radar:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
MPS-Grigorenko-Kucherov

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I'd wager Kucherov wouldn't mind that one bit considering the logo on his hoodie...

a_eb642036.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for posting that pic. Good to see his taste in his teams is right on par with his skill set. Thinking if anyone can convice Kucherov to come over, it's Detroit. With their strong history of success with Russian's, sparkling reputation as an organization, etc.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I would certainly think a team will take a shot at him and try for a home run pick. question is where in the draft.

Analyzer*

Pavel Datsyuk arrived to Detroit at 23 and adapted immediately. Selänne came to Winnipeg at 22. Zubov came to New York at 23. Lidström came to Detroit at 21. Ovechkin and Malkin came over as 20 year olds. All of them adapted immeriately.

History does not prove that Russian or European players need to play in the CHL to adapt to NHL style of play.

In fact the history shows that players who left Russia at crucial age between 15 and 19 usually don't meet the expectations.

It is vital and absolutely necessary for Russian hockey that the best juniors stay in Russia until they are 20. I would prefer that they spend their whole careers in Russia, but this is not realistic. Not right now anyway. North American type of game seems to regress many Russians, even greats like Kovalchuk and Malkin.

No offense to Evgeni Malkin, or any Russians, but Malkin still doesn't know English it seems.

This guy's stats seem comparable to Avtsin. Avtsin attended the draft when, well to my knowledge there wasn't much talk about him at all and was a 4th round pick.

Also to add to things Russian players have to face when coming over is discrimination (?) Not sure if right word as I'm kinda tired, but I swear that's partly why Avtsin plays so little in the AHL, well in the 2nd half. First half was injuries.

Anyways, Russian players are being trained with heart now too, so they'll be more picked.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Anybody have a wild guess when Nikita Kucherov will be picked?

I am guessing somebody that has multiple picks int he second round will take a chance, although I wouldn't be surprised if he sips into the bottom of the first

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Anybody have a wild guess when Nikita Kucherov will be picked?

I am guessing somebody that has multiple picks int he second round will take a chance
, although I wouldn't be surprised if he sips into the bottom of the first

That would be my guess. I dont see a team wanting to use there 1st rounder on him outside of maybe the Red Wings as the risk is too high given the uncertainty over if he would ever come over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad