W Nikita Kucherov (2011, 58th overall, Tampa Bay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Nail Yakupov is still developing. It's a bit early to call him a CHL success story.

Radulov developed into a solid player in the NA. But since moving to KHL, he has developed into an excellent player. His play-making ability right now is 10X better now then what it was when he was in NHL.

I've stood idle on this "Russian teenagers should/shouldn't go to NA" discussions for awhile now. Reading what many posters have stated, it seems like many ignore various other variables:

1. Different Country
2. Different Culture
3. Different Language
4. Chemistry with new Teammates (often times a difficult task with lack of language)
5. Communication with Coaches (again, lack of language is a problem here)
6. New Training regime and teaching philosophy

I'm sure there are a lot of other variables that I can't think of.

Becoming a good hockey player is hard enough as it is. The last thing a young player needs is more obstacles in his way.

Don't get me wrong, often times players face difficult situations in Russia also. Top teams stuff their rosters full of veteran players, making it difficult for youngsters to get playing time.

I agreee, the same is with Slovaks/Czechs

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Just to add something to my post above.

I don't think that CHL and AHL are bad leagues to develop, but one can't compare the situations of North American prospects with Russian prospects. It's completely different.

As soon as a talented Canadian kid steps his foot in the CHL locker-room, he has a room full of best friends and "second fathers" for coaches.

As soon as a talented Russian kid steps his foot in the CHL locker-room, he's considered an uncoachable "loner" or "an enigma". I'm not sure most of them are even given a chance to prove otherwise.

Yeah, that's an ideal situation for development.

Last edited:

DuckshaveaRPG

Mar 9, 2011
London
is say he goes in the 2nd/3rd if not 30th pick by the caps he then spend s 2/3yrs in Russia working and building on his game and confidence then he come over to the NHL and prob goes straight into the the second line unit on a team or what ever

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
in my opinion Kucherov will follow Tarasenko, Kuznetsov´s example.. he will stay in KHL at least when he is 24. He belongs to great organisation, to CSKA, he played KHL this season, he will play KHL next season for sure. Why should he go to NA to play in crappy leagues like CHL or AHL are (to compare to KHL)? no way
CSKA is a great junior organisation but not a great KHL organisation. Then again, Kucherov will get playing time in CSKA more easily than in Ufa.

Just keep him out of the CHL!

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Well don't you think it would be better for him to come to N.A. and play in the CHL in order to adapt to the N.A. style and rink?
Pavel Datsyuk arrived to Detroit at 23 and adapted immediately. Selänne came to Winnipeg at 22. Zubov came to New York at 23. Lidström came to Detroit at 21. Ovechkin and Malkin came over as 20 year olds. All of them adapted immeriately.

History does not prove that Russian or European players need to play in the CHL to adapt to NHL style of play.

In fact the history shows that players who left Russia at crucial age between 15 and 19 usually don't meet the expectations.

It is vital and absolutely necessary for Russian hockey that the best juniors stay in Russia until they are 20. I would prefer that they spend their whole careers in Russia, but this is not realistic. Not right now anyway. North American type of game seems to regress many Russians, even greats like Kovalchuk and Malkin.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
The best situation for talented young players is in KHL.

It's no coincidence that among all drafted Russian players, Tarasenko and Kuznetsov are clearly standing out right now. Both are in ideal situation imo.

Voynov was in similar situation, but decided to cut it short. I think it was a mistake. I think he already would be NHL-ready player right now. I hope he can still develop into an all-around stud he could certainly be.

Then you have a different situation in Kirill Petrov. He did stay in Russia, but his development was stunned a bit by lack of playing time for Ak Bars. He is finally getting regular minutes in KHL, but not the player I thought he would be at this point. I hope this situation also can still be rectified.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The best situation for talented young players is in KHL.

It's no coincidence that among all drafted Russian players, Tarasenko and Kuznetsov are clearly standing out right now. Both are in ideal situation imo.

Voynov was in similar situation, but decided to cut it short. I think it was a mistake. I think he already would be NHL-ready player right now. I hope he can still develop into an all-around stud he could certainly be.

Then you have a different situation in Kirill Petrov. He did stay in Russia, but his development was stunned a bit by lack of playing time for Ak Bars. He is finally getting regular minutes in KHL, but not the player I thought he would be at this point. I hope this situation also can still be rectified.

No for defenders it is not the same case. I believe Voynov and Kulikov would not be as good as they are now if they stayed. Positioning, reads physical play all necessary aspects for defending are better taught in North America.

pouskin74*

How good would Pavel Datsyuk be now if he chose to play in the CHL at 16 instead rotting in Ekaterinburg and Kazan??? Can you even dare to think?

we never know maybe he would have been next Mario Lemieux? do you have a crystal ball?

pouskin74*

How many NHL, KHL or national team goals has Yakubov scored so far?

CHL success means nothing. A player has to break through at men's level before making any assumptions.

tell it to players whos career were ruined in Russia. BTW he is Yakupov not Yakubov...

Last edited by a moderator:

pouskin74*

Kugryshev is in the ECHL for pete's sake!

where is Pavel Vorobjov, Aleksei Mihknov, Andrei Medvedyev,Mihail Yakubov,Artem Chernov,Jegor Chastin,Sergei Soin,Juri Trubachev,Sergei Mylnikov,Alexander Polushin,Alexander Suglobov,Sergei Anshakov....they all were very promising prospects but they arent in there where they were expected to be! many of them played for Russian National Team as well....is it CHL who is guilty again??:sarcasm:

pouskin74*

Pavel Datsyuk arrived to Detroit at 23 and adapted immediately. Selänne came to Winnipeg at 22. Zubov came to New York at 23. Lidström came to Detroit at 21. Ovechkin and Malkin came over as 20 year olds. All of them adapted immeriately.

History does not prove that Russian or European players need to play in the CHL to adapt to NHL style of play.

In fact the history shows that players who left Russia at crucial age between 15 and 19 usually don't meet the expectations.

It is vital and absolutely necessary for Russian hockey that the best juniors stay in Russia until they are 20. I would prefer that they spend their whole careers in Russia, but this is not realistic. Not right now anyway. North American type of game seems to regress many Russians, even greats like Kovalchuk and Malkin.

:laugh: thats just more than fun to read:handclap:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Seeing this has turned into a development thread I wonder if there will be a time when NA prospects will go to Russia to develop?

They shouldn't. They would face the same problems that I've mentioned in the earlier thread.

1. Different Country
2. Different Culture
3. Different Language
4. Chemistry with new Teammates (often times a difficult task with lack of language)
5. Communication with Coaches (again, lack of language is a problem here)
6. New Training regime and teaching philosophy

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
guys, problem solved!!! He is staying in KHL :handclap:

Форвард "Красной Армии" Никита Кучеров, установивший новый рекорд результативности на ЮЧМ, в эфире телеканала "Россия-2" признался, что хотел бы выступать в КХЛ за ЦСКА:

- Хотелось бы выступать за ЦСКА в КХЛ, закрепиться в составе. Но для этого надо много работать. Буду стараться, тренироваться.

source
source

Last edited:

pmorris

May 24, 2008
NYC Area
guys, problem solved!!! He is staying in KHL :handclap:

Форвард "Красной Армии" Никита Кучеров, установивший новый рекорд результативности на ЮЧМ, в эфире телеканала "Россия-2" признался, что хотел бы выступать в КХЛ за ЦСКА:

- Хотелось бы выступать за ЦСКА в КХЛ, закрепиться в составе. Но для этого надо много работать. Буду стараться, тренироваться.

source

Can anybody translate this into English?

pmorris

May 24, 2008
NYC Area
I would like to play for CSKA in KHL to make a team. It is a lot of job, I will do my best, I will train so much...

My translation is not literal...

Gotcha. Thanks for that.

Anyways though, I'd take a late round flyer on this kid. Even with the impressive U-18 tourny, he's not getting taken in the first 3 rounds. But he has much more upside than a lot of other kids out there, and if there ever is a transfer agreement hammered out between the KHL and the NHL, he'd be a great player to have. Besides, he's not signing a lifetime deal with CSKA Moscow. Sooner or later, he'll venture over to NA to just test the waters, and having his draft rights will be a plus. Kucherov is a very low risk, high reward pick in the later rounds.

DuckshaveaRPG

Mar 9, 2011
London
so if stays in the KHL he sign a 3 yr deal with CSKA lets say then after that he free to come to what ever NHL he was drafted by or sign a new KHL deal is that right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad