Voynov Suspended for 2019-2020 (upd: NHLPA to appeal)

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Actually this is wrong. He was prevented from making a living. The fact the NHL toyed with him for an entire season this year, will be ammunition for the arbitrator and will undoubtedly be used as some time served. He had multiple meetings with the NHL regarding his case this summer and fall, and was told there would be a verdict as soon as possible and to just sit tight as they entered into a "factual investigation". He could have went back to the KHL but he kept being told an answer was right around the corner.

He deserved a suspension, and honestly, this wouldn't even have been as bad as it is, if in September they made this exact same ruling, it's the fact that they took so long, and kicked it down the street for so long that really irks me.

And as for your second bolded statement, this is false. The NHL has proven the exact opposite. They still want him representing them. Just not for a year (or undoubtedly after the Arbitrator deals with this, until sometime next season).
He is/was not prevented from making a living. This is the dumbest argument possible. He could play in the KHL or Europe. He could get a completely different job (this is a clearly hyperbolic statement to counter the completely hyperbolic statement that not being able to play in the NHL = not being allowed to make a living). He chose to wait on the NHL. And they chose to make him wait another year.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Why is not wanting an admitted wife beater in your organization wrong?
Can you provide evidence where he admitted to being a wife beater?

That's one of my issues with him, as far as I can tell he refuses to actually acknowledge it while giving canned answers.

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
so nobody deserves a 2 chance?

with all the illegal violent criminals that are rooming america, it's funny how people here want to punish this guy so bad.

i have read about your sanctuary cities, guess it's okay for people from 3 world countries to commit crime and be protected from ICE. when it's a euro the hammer drops.

Yeah, his second chance is being alive. Only cowards hit women, buddy. Do you expect me to believe he acted in self defence?

Reactions: Angry Penguin

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
so nobody deserves a 2 chance?

with all the illegal violent criminals that are rooming america, it's funny how people here want to punish this guy so bad.

i have read about your sanctuary cities, guess it's okay for people from 3 world countries to commit crime and be protected from ICE. when it's a euro the hammer drops.
Should it be :huh: or :laugh: ?

Sanctuary cities have nothing to do with protecting criminal, wherever they come from...

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I've been out of the loop, but does the league/Blackhawks still glorify Bobby Hull?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I personally don’t want Voynov back on the Kings, but I do feel the NHL has handled this pretty poorly. He has been effectively suspended for four years now. Little ridiculous when the legal case is long put to bed.

Where are you getting four years from? Can you really include the time he was out of the country, because he left to avoid deportation? How does that qualify as part of an NHL suspension?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Actually this is wrong. He was prevented from making a living. The fact the NHL toyed with him for an entire season this year, will be ammunition for the arbitrator and will undoubtedly be used as some time served. He had multiple meetings with the NHL regarding his case this summer and fall, and was told there would be a verdict as soon as possible and to just sit tight as they entered into a "factual investigation". He could have went back to the KHL but he kept being told an answer was right around the corner.

He deserved a suspension, and honestly, this wouldn't even have been as bad as it is, if in September they made this exact same ruling, it's the fact that they took so long, and kicked it down the street for so long that really irks me.

And as for your second bolded statement, this is false. The NHL has proven the exact opposite. They still want him representing them. Just not for a year (or undoubtedly after the Arbitrator deals with this, until sometime next season).
He was not prevented from making a living. He could work for numerous other hockey teams and make a living.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Can you provide evidence where he admitted to being a wife beater?

That's one of my issues with him, as far as I can tell he refuses to actually acknowledge it while giving canned answers.
Yes. His plea. Although to be honest I didn’t read exactly what he plead no contest to.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Where are you getting four years from? Can you really include the time he was out of the country, because he left to avoid deportation? How does that qualify as part of an NHL suspension?

Would he have been allowed to play in the NHL from 14/15 - 18/19? No. Don’t be obtuse.

It’s the equivalent of time served. He was leaving the country or being deported either way. Neither of those options would have allowed for his play in the NHL.

And that’s why I think this extra suspension is just a show of PR by the league. I get it. I don’t necessarily oppose it morally. But it is an excessive suspension when considering he has been effectively prevented from playing in the NHL for almost five years now.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Pleading no contest is the exact opposite of admitting to it.
What? No it isn’t. I mean, technically it’s not a guilty plea, but it’s saying that the state would have enough evidence at trial for a guilty verdict. It’s an admission of guilt.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
What? No it isn’t. I mean, technically it’s not a guilty plea, but it’s saying that the state would have enough evidence at trial for a guilty verdict. It’s an admission of guilt.
No it is not. What?

Pleading no contest is, by definition, a plea by which a defendant in a criminal prosecution accepts conviction but does not plead or admit guilt.

Feel free to look it up yourself. It's explicitly not admitting guilt (but not necessarily arguing not guilty either).
What is a no contest plea?
A no contest plea is a plea used in criminal proceedings as an alternative to a guilty or not guilty plea, whereby the defendant neither disputes nor admits to doing the crime. This type of plea, also known as nolo contendere, literally means "I do not wish to contend.” A no contest plea is not an admission of guilt, but is treated as a criminal conviction by the court which hands down sentencing. The plea shows up on the defendant's criminal record.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
No it is not. What?

Pleading no contest is, by definition, a plea by which a defendant in a criminal prosecution accepts conviction but does not plead or admit guilt.

Feel free to look it up yourself. It's explicitly not admitting guilt (but not necessarily arguing not guilty either).
What is a no contest plea?
I mean, for all intents and purposes it is a guilty plea. It is treated as such for sentencing. It’s shown as a criminal conviction. Basically all a no contest plea does is keep you from being liable per se in a related civil matter.

Like sure, literally there’s no admission of guilt, but it legally is a conviction.

Reactions: ThirdManIn

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I mean, for all intents and purposes it is a guilty plea.
No not for all intents or purposes. It's legally (and non) not an admission. It protects against civil. It means he doesn't have to say he did it and gives him the ability to deny it happened.

Which is exactly what my problem is. He has NOT admitted guilt. As far as I'm concerned he can't have repentance from fans if he doesn't admit it to. He's been making his cake and eating it to by still claiming it was all a misunderstanding.

So I again ask, where has he admitted it. He hasn't. Thanks for coming out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad