Voynov Suspended for 2019-2020 (upd: NHLPA to appeal)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If his name was Mike Jones nobody would care. Just like the NFL.
NFL Arrest-Database - NFL Football - USA TODAY

-Or like how the king of the wife beaters, Bobby Hull, can still walk into any stadium an command a standing ovation.
-Or if his name was Craig MacTavish, who conveniently only served 1 year for vehicular manslaughter, and was welcomed back with open arms and is current the VP for the Oilers.
-Or like how Dany Heatley, conveniently avoided jail time despite being guilty of four charges of vehicular homicide, and was welcomed back with open arms by the NHL.

Too bad for Voynov he isn't in the NHL's good ole boy club.

It’s especially to bad for his wife. Who is with him whether people like it or not.

All the people who want him out of the country and banned from the NHL.... who is that helping?

Not the victim who is losing MILLIONS of dollars and the chance to get help and resources in the states or Canada.

What are divorce laws like in Russia?
Do you still get half? She could have been here. He could have made 25 million and she could walk away if he was able to stay

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Ah yes - rape, pedophilia, murder, etc... As long as they serve their sentence and it didn't happen while they were on the ice they should be able to play!

Actually many players have done many of those things... some ON the ice and still get to play

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
It’s especially to bad for his wife. Who is with him whether people like it or not.

All the people who want him out of the country and banned from the NHL.... who is that helping?

Not the victim who is losing MILLIONS of dollars and the chance to get help and resources in the states or Canada.

What are divorce laws like in Russia?
Do you still get half? She could have been here. He could have made 25 million and she could walk away if he was able to stay

What's this gotta do with Russia? From what I understand, Voynov and his family spent the entire season in Florida.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What's this gotta do with Russia? From what I understand, Voynov and his family have spent the last year in Florida.

If he isn’t allowed to play. You think he will stay?

Yes. He is allowed to live in the country. That’s a legal decision. The NHL is deciding they just don’t want to let him work in the NHL? But working in like McDonald’s is ok?

Or does the US just want people to come an d not work?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
If he isn’t allowed to play. You think he will stay?

Yes. He is allowed to live in the country. That’s a legal decision. The NHL is deciding they just don’t want to let him work in the NHL? But working in like McDonald’s is ok?

Or does the US just want people to come an d not work?

I have no clue. But your assertion that his wife has no options is completely false.
I'm not sure of the laws in the US, but, as it pertains to Russia, we have one of the highest divorce rates in the world. Furthermore, generally speaking, per law, all equity obtained during the course of the marriage is divided equally after a divorce.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I have no clue. But your assertion that his wife has no options is completely false.
I'm not sure of the laws in the US, but, as it pertains to Russia, we have one of the highest divorce rates in the world. Furthermore, generally speaking, per law, all equity obtained during the course of the marriage is divided equally after a divorce.

I’m not saying it is?
What i am saying is.

1.). He is allowed to be in the country.
2.) he is allowed to work
3.) for all of the white knights who don’t want to let him play in the nhl where he could be making millions. Like 20-30 million already.

He can’t. He can’t play in the nhl. The victim who is still with him could have a chance to be in the US or Canada and share in millions of dollars. I don’t know what the laws are there. I do know what the laws are here.

All this is doing is depriving the victim of Millions of dollars.

I’m not saying anything bad about Russia. I don’t know the rules. But I do know what it’s like here.

If he were allowed to play here he would be making millions. Be gone on the road all the time and if she wanted. She could take half.

That’s IF she wanted. If things are great then she stays and they make tons of money

But the idea that the nhl is some vaunted position of moral superiority is insane

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I’m not saying it is?
What i am saying is.

1.). He is allowed to be in the country.
2.) he is allowed to work
3.) for all of the white knights who don’t want to let him play in the nhl where he could be making millions. Like 20-30 million already.

He can’t. He can’t play in the nhl. The victim who is still with him could have a chance to be in the US or Canada and share in millions of dollars. I don’t know what the laws are there. I do know what the laws are here.

All this is doing is depriving the victim of Millions of dollars.

I’m not saying anything bad about Russia. I don’t know the rules. But I do know what it’s like here.

If he were allowed to play here he would be making millions. Be gone on the road all the time and if she wanted. She could take half.

That’s IF she wanted. If things are great then she stays and they make tons of money

But the idea that the nhl is some vaunted position of moral superiority is insane

I totally agree that the NHL is not some moral superior entity. It's quite the opposite. Nonetheless, as it pertains to his wife, she isn't being deprived of anything by him being banned from the NHL.

Voynov and his family are already millionaires. His decision to play in the NHL likely has nothing to do with money; it's a hockey decision. If it was about money, he'd probably stay with SKA.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I totally agree that the NHL is not some moral superior entity. It's quite the opposite. Nonetheless, as it pertains to his wife, she isn't being deprived of anything by him being banned from the NHL.

Voynov and his family are already millionaires. His decision to play in the NHL likely has nothing to do with money; it's a hockey decision. If it was about money, he'd probably stay with SKA.

Ok maybe you can correct me then, but how much does he make in the KHL? I thoUgh the they got paid way less. Why would you give up a year of the same money to try to get back in?

Edit: I guess his name is slightly diff in Russian. But he makes 4,5?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I haven't said anything about the NHL's suspension, except to point out that it isn't a 4-year suspension. With all due respect, but you might want to argue what I have said, and not what others in this thread have said.

I'm also not hand-waving the concept of time served. I'm stating that, in leaving the country to avoid deportation, he never gave the NHL the opportunity to punish him. Furthermore, your claim that he willingly stayed away to from earning a significant living rings false. He was earning millions of dollars in the KHL. Certainly, you can argue there was the opportunity to earn more, but he was earning a very significant living in the KHL. When a player is suspended by the NHL, they lose salary, and they aren't permitted to play during that time. In essence, Voynov avoided that suspension. He played in the KHL, earned a significant living, and you want to claim that's time served. Between the two of us, I think I have a better argument of claiming you're hand-waving the time served.

As for the NHLPA appealing, that's their responsibility, regardless of what their personal feelings are.

One thing that I feel you might be misunderstanding, he was going to get deported by his own choice or by the law. He didn't really have a choice.

On top of that, the amount of time it took the NHL to this day to "investigate " this situation is pure hogwash. The NHL could have investigated this a lot more quickly if they wanted to. They didn't.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think in Russia they don't see it as that bad , it could be cultural thing rather than some innate response within you.

He still deserves a second chance, and if guys on the ice have a problem they can drop the gloves, thats how it should be

In Russia it isn't seen as bad as it is seen here in North America. There is a belief in Russian culture of controlling your woman. The evil attributed to this situation is most likely very over blown.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Ok maybe you can correct me then, but how much does he make in the KHL? I thoUgh the they got paid way less. Why would you give up a year of the same money to try to get back in?

Edit: I guess his name is slightly diff in Russian. But he makes 4,5?

No, Voynov made $3.1 million USD a year. Which, with a 13% Russian tax rate, is considerably more than he'd make in the NHL.
Зарплата хоккеистов КХЛ на 2017-2018 - Рейтинг от СпортФакт

Despite the extremely high salaries on the NHL, I'm amazed at how little a player's net income really is.
NHL Players’ Salaries Shrink by Millions After Taxes

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
One thing that I feel you might be misunderstanding, he was going to get deported by his own choice or by the law. He didn't really have a choice.

On top of that, the amount of time it took the NHL to this day to "investigate " this situation is pure hogwash. The NHL could have investigated this a lot more quickly if they wanted to. They didn't.

There is no misunderstanding. I’m fully aware that was the case.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Hopefully we get more statements from teams refusing to sign him. Let the NHLPA cry and carry water for a wife beater.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I think in Russia they don't see it as that bad , it could be cultural thing rather than some innate response within you.

Bizarre as it sounds, this is true. He and his wife come from a culture where spousal abuse is tolerated. They even went so far as to LEGALIZE forms of domestic violence last year.

That's not to say we should tolerate it as some form of cultural equivalency, but appreciate the nuance that this is different for the Voynovs than it would be for us. It's the height of self-righteousness to pretend we'd all have the same beliefs and opinions if we'd grown up in Russia.

He's learned a painful lesson that this sort of thing is not tolerated in North America, and he's probably a better person for it. Seeking to punish and ostracize him further may make you feel like a good person, but the opposite is actually true.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Bizarre as it sounds, this is true. He and his wife come from a culture where spousal abuse is tolerated. They even went so far as to LEGALIZE forms of domestic violence last year.

That's not to say we should tolerate it as some form of cultural equivalency, but appreciate the nuance that this is different for the Voynovs than it would be for us. It's the height of self-righteousness to pretend we'd all have the same beliefs and opinions if we'd grown up in Russia.

He's learned a painful lesson that this sort of thing is not tolerated in North America, and he's probably a better person for it. Seeking to punish and ostracize him further may make you feel like a good person, but the opposite is actually true.
We shouldn't tolerate it but we should give him a pass?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
What's fair and legal. stomach churning. Any team that signs him, will have him in training camp

What's right? I wouldn't sign him. But I'm a Preds fan. We don't desperately need him.

I wonder what visa issues he might face in Canada?

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
We shouldn't tolerate it but we should give him a pass?

He lost four years of an NHL career, been suspended officially for a year, and lost any semblance of reputation he ever had. He will forever be remembered by millions for what is most likely the worst thing he's ever done.

If you call that getting "a pass", I question your ability to empathize. He's just a product of his genetics and his environment, like everyone else. Remember that, and maybe your empathy will return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad