Voynov Suspended for 2019-2020 (upd: NHLPA to appeal)

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo
The only thing that irritates me about the way this Voynov situation has been handled is Watson and Varlamov. They are in the league and in the playoffs none the less while Kings lost a top 3 defenseman for years.

The wife is still with him and just had a kid of their own and are happy together I hope the Kings resign him .
You know that varlamovs ex made it up because he broke up whit her. Even her best friend testified on his behaf and her lawyer left when he found out the truth

Reactions: Kingsfan1

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Nope no 2nd chances in life, even if he's already paid his debt to society and he seems rehabilitated. How dare you think otherwise, I'm going to look through all your posts on every single platform since the beginning of time and if I find anything slightly offensive I will try and get you fired from your job because I am so morally superior than you. /s

I hope he wins the appeal and that the habs sign him. We need him on D yesterday
Yeah I don't want this scum to even touch the tricolore let alone wear it.

Reactions: Mumbo

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Do you think Montreal would be interested in a 1 year deal like Rads? Would probably be a good fit.

I don't see it.

We're talking about the team who reprimanded a player for actually getting beaten up by his piece of trash girlfriend, and made to apologize, all because it created some negative headlines.

No way would the Habs subject themselves to this kind of negative PR, and that's ignoring the moral aspect of it as well. I doubt Molson would ever allow it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Only perfect beings roam this site, redemption is for failures, haven't you heard?
I don't think you need to be a perfect being to know it's wrong to beat your wife bloody. and I don't think doing it repeatedly and laughing about it is a good step towards redemption

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don't think you need to be a perfect being to know it's wrong to beat your wife bloody. and I don't think doing it repeatedly and laughing about it is a good step towards redemption

I don't think you realize where Voynov is from to judge him from your own societal understandings. I believe in redemption nonetheless.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
The people apologizing for wife beating... not a good look.

Not wanting a wife-beater on your favorite team does not mean you are virtue signaling, are holier-than-thou, or any other buzz word you want to use. Where I am from, not wanting to cheer for a wife-beater would be considered appropriate and normal.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa

Not wanting a wife-beater on your favorite team does not mean you are virtue signaling, are holier-than-thou, or any other buzz word you want to use. Where I am from, not wanting to cheer for a wife-beater would be considered appropriate and normal.

He did something wrong. He paid his debt to society. He is a father and a husband. They have seemingly patched things up and are trying to move on, yet some people are trying to prevent him from making a living for his family. What if your son or daughter made a poor choice? Would you want them to be blacklisted forever after their sentence? Wouldn't you want the world to give them a second chance?

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Why the **** is there an appeal? Lock the guy up man, domestic abuse is ****ed up and shouldn’t be tolerated anywhere

He was locked up.

with all the illegal violent criminals that are rooming america, it's funny how people here want to punish this guy so bad.

i have read about your sanctuary cities, guess it's okay for people from 3 world countries to commit crime and be protected from ICE. when it's a euro the hammer drops.

We do, indeed, have some awfully strange double standards in this country. Whether you're hard or soft on crime often comes down to whether or not the type of crime conforms to your interests.

You're doing the same thing that you're criticizing by using a "buzz word" ("apologizing") to negatively characterize a position.

Reactions: greasysnapper

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
He did something wrong. He paid his debt to society. He is a father and a husband. They have seemingly patched things up and are trying to move on, yet some people are trying to prevent him from making a living for his family. What if your son or daughter made a poor choice? Would you want them to be blacklisted forever after their sentence? Wouldn't you want the world to give them a second chance?
This is a separate statement from what I was addressing: the common theme in posters that are pro-Voynov being that if a person is uncomfortable cheering for a wife beater, they are somehow a "snowflake". My statement was merely that people holding that position need to look in the mirror and actually think about what they are implying with that type of thinking.

As for this current point, none of that is true. Voynov is not being prevented from making a living. Voynov is being prevented from playing in the NHL for one more year. He can play in the KHL. He can play in Europe. He can quit playing hockey and go get a job at Stop & Shop. He can make a living in a million different ways. The NHL is making a decision that, based on the fact that their revenue is generated through advertising and fan support, Voynov is more of a detraction on the league than a positive. And they may also want to take the morally correct stance here as well: our league has no place for wife beaters.

As a friendly reminder: actions have consequences beyond the court system. If I got a DUI, I would have lost my old job. Voynov beat his wife and the NHL doesn't want him representing them any more. Action -> consequence.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I personally don’t want Voynov back on the Kings, but I do feel the NHL has handled this pretty poorly. He has been effectively suspended for four years now. Little ridiculous when the legal case is long put to bed.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't think you realize where Voynov is from to judge him from your own societal understandings. I believe in redemption nonetheless.
Redemption is fine. If he serves his time, I'm fine with him being integrated back into society. That doesn't mean I think he should have the privilege of playing in the NHL.

Also, are you saying that wife beating is Russian culture?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
We do, indeed, have some awfully strange double standards in this country. Whether you're hard or soft on crime often comes down to whether or not the type of crime conforms to your interests.
I think it more often comes down to whether the crime was violent or not. Smoking pot and beating your wife aren't anywhere near as bad in my eyes, yet often skin color and wealth make it so that smoking pot is punished much much more harshly. Swing and a miss.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Paid his debt to society, sure, and he's welcome to make a living for his family in a variety of ways. But the NHL as a private organization is free to enact and enforce standards of conduct that are beyond the legal standard, and is not obligated to hire a wife beater just because he fulfilled his legal obligations

Reactions: Pip and Bocephus86

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
This is a separate statement from what I was addressing: the common theme in posters that are pro-Voynov being that if a person is uncomfortable cheering for a wife beater, they are somehow a "snowflake". My statement was merely that people holding that position need to look in the mirror and actually think about what they are implying with that type of thinking.

As for this current point, none of that is true. Voynov is not being prevented from making a living. Voynov is being prevented from playing in the NHL for one more year. He can play in the KHL. He can play in Europe. He can quit playing hockey and go get a job at Stop & Shop. He can make a living in a million different ways. The NHL is making a decision that, based on the fact that their revenue is generated through advertising and fan support, Voynov is more of a detraction on the league than a positive. And they may also want to take the morally correct stance here as well: our league has no place for wife beaters.

As a friendly reminder: actions have consequences beyond the court system. If I got a DUI, I would have lost my old job. Voynov beat his wife and the NHL doesn't want him representing them any more. Action -> consequence.

He is being prevented from working in the NHL, and that is wrong. The NHL is punishing him harder than the United States justice system. If he becomes a free agent and no team wants to sign him due to potential boycotts or protests or whatever than fine. But let the free market decide if someone is willing to take a flyer on him.

The working at a stop and shop argument is silly. That's like the people calling out kevin hart for a slightly offensive tweet in 2012 and protesting that Hollywood never hire him again, but it's okay because he can still support his family by working at a gas station.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Paid his debt to society, sure, and he's welcome to make a living for his family in a variety of ways. But the NHL as a private organization is free to enact and enforce standards of conduct that are beyond the legal standard, and is not obligated to hire a wife beater just because he fulfilled his legal obligations

I'm not arguing they dont have the right. I'm saying its wrong

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
He is being prevented from working in the NHL, and that is wrong. The NHL is punishing him harder than the United States justice system. If he becomes a free agent and no team wants to sign him due to potential boycotts or protests or whatever than fine. But let the free market decide if someone is willing to take a flyer on him.

The working at a stop and shop argument is silly. That's like the people calling out kevin hart for a slightly offensive tweet in 2012 and protesting that Hollywood never hire him again, but it's okay because he can still support his family by working at a gas station.
RE the bold: Why? Is access to the NHL is some sort of birth right?

The NHL doesn't want him representing their brand because he beat his wife. As a private business, they get to choose who can represent them*, or at least make it harder for those they deem bad actors.

People routinely have fallout based on their own actions outside of the legal system. See my reference to DUI/job loss.

*The PA may win the appeal.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

Actually this is wrong. He was prevented from making a living. The fact the NHL toyed with him for an entire season this year, will be ammunition for the arbitrator and will undoubtedly be used as some time served. He had multiple meetings with the NHL regarding his case this summer and fall, and was told there would be a verdict as soon as possible and to just sit tight as they entered into a "factual investigation". He could have went back to the KHL but he kept being told an answer was right around the corner.

He deserved a suspension, and honestly, this wouldn't even have been as bad as it is, if in September they made this exact same ruling, it's the fact that they took so long, and kicked it down the street for so long that really irks me.

And as for your second bolded statement, this is false. The NHL has proven the exact opposite. They still want him representing them. Just not for a year (or undoubtedly after the Arbitrator deals with this, until sometime next season).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad