Injury Report: Vol. 7 (Updates in 1st Post) | Clean Out Day

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Ruh's not gonna come back from a concussion 40 hours later. It's Schultz or bust.

It's 3 days which should be the minimum. Depends on the seriousness though.

Edit: I think you thought I meant game 5

Last edited:

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Ruh's not gonna come back from a concussion 40 hours later. It's Schultz or bust.

Yeah no chance tomorrow but he was talking about game 6 which there's some chance. Would be the same timeframe that both Sid and Sheary returned.

With no updates today and an early game tomorrow it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Also, it's quite sad that our injury thread is just as active if not more than the actual series thread...

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
Oh really? Madden also said Letang would be back by the end of the season and his injury wasn't bad. :laugh: Dammit.. vabm beat me to it.

Madden also said he thinks Ghost from Philly for Murray would be a good trade for this team, just last week. I immediately turned it off.

Madden was I think the first to report a Letang set back days before the slipped disc news came out. The guy actually talks to the players and team. He has some insider information, he's just also quick to stand in the center of controversy.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I remember when he said that Bylsma would soon be fired, (late in the season) and Pat Quinn would be hired.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I remember when he said that Bylsma would soon be fired, (late in the season) and Pat Quinn would be hired.

Say what you will about Bylsma, but at least he's not Pat "Hamhock Hands" Quinn. :laugh:

I just find it amazing that a radio personality with so much supposed connection to the organization is so often wrong about so much.

Back to the injury talk--

Schultz and Horny back would be amazing. But if we're going to dig into the depths of the taxi squad for game 5, at least we're doing it in Pittsburgh with the last change to try to shelter whichever poor schlub might get the call.

Anyone know if Corrado's injury healed enough for him to join the taxi squad? I remember he was out for most of the post season with a LBI, but I haven't heard if he's been cleared or joined the big squad.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I realize the team is desperate to replace Ruh, but people suggesting Corrado? Seriously?

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Say what you will about Bylsma, but at least he's not Pat "Hamhock Hands" Quinn. :laugh:

I just find it amazing that a radio personality with so much supposed connection to the organization is so often wrong about so much.

Back to the injury talk--

Schultz and Horny back would be amazing. But if we're going to dig into the depths of the taxi squad for game 5, at least we're doing it in Pittsburgh with the last change to try to shelter whichever poor schlub might get the call.

Anyone know if Corrado's injury healed enough for him to join the taxi squad? I remember he was out for most of the post season with a LBI, but I haven't heard if he's been cleared or joined the big squad.

You can't be serious that so many defensemen are hurt that even Frank F'in Corrado was out with an injury. Next you'll tell me that Ethan Prow hurt himself with a nail gun or Lukas Bengsston got Lyme Disease.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
You can't be serious that so many defensemen are hurt that even Frank F'in Corrado was out with an injury. Next you'll tell me that Ethan Prow hurt himself with a nail gun or Lukas Bengsston got Lyme Disease.

Is that really how Prow went down? :laugh:

This organization must have sold all their luck to the hockey gods for Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin. We officially are in voodoo curse territory.

I thought Rust was closer to returning than Hornqvist? I'd take either with open arms obviously. I thought Rust had skated in full gear whereas Horny did not.

And I know I'm going to get crucified for this, probably rightfully so. But if Schultz can't go, I consider throwing in Pouliot. That would be a massive risk considering his play, surely, but he couldn't do much worse than Guance, Warsofsky, Corrado, or Game 3 Streit. If he stinks, we can always staple him to the bench at home. Two things he can do for all his many faults are skate and pass the puck. Just my two cents.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

This organization must have sold all their luck to the hockey gods for Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin. We officially are in voodoo curse territory.

I thought Rust was closer to returning than Hornqvist? I'd take either with open arms, just asking. I thought he skated in full gear whereas Horny did not.

Nah I made that one up for humerous juxtaposition. Or at least I think I did... and I think I'm using that word correctly. But who knows, I'm out with a UBC and UFO(upper body catastrophe and UnFriendly Optometrist)

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh

I thought Rust was closer to returning than Hornqvist? I'd take either with open arms obviously. I thought Rust had skated in full gear whereas Horny did not.

And I know I'm going to get crucified for this, probably rightfully so. But if Schultz can't go, I consider throwing in Pouliot. That would be a massive risk considering his play, surely, but he couldn't do much worse than Guance, Warsofsky, Corrado, or Game 3 Streit. If he stinks, we can always staple him to the bench at home. Two things he can do for all his many faults are skate and pass the puck. Just my two cents.

Hey, we are 2-0 in this series when having to go with 5 defensemen from somewhere in the 1st period on and 0-2 when we have a full 6 (or 7) defensemen available for the full game. Maybe we start Pouliot, give him a couple token shifts in the 1st, then bench him if no one else gets hurt by then and go to our 5 dmen secret weapon. He can just be insurance for when someone else is hurt and we get stuck with just 4 dmen.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
How are we going to fit all of these names on the Cup? Gonna be rotated through all NHL and AHL, and maybe a little of ECHL at this rate.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

pouliot....could be a very good replacement ......they are not trying to pressure the de...I think this could work well. :)

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I realize the team is desperate to replace Ruh, but people suggesting Corrado? Seriously?

It's not like they have a lot of great options. Streit is probably better, but only because he fits into a neatly-defined role. Outside of that role, he might not be any better. Warsofsky is probably better, but he was awful at the NHL level this year, so that's no guarantee either. Who else is there after that? Don't say Pouliot, because Corrado would be way better than Pouliot.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I mean we are in a clear drop-off level from Ruh as our #8 to a big collection of guys that I could all see making an argument for but that also have significant flaws. Streit, Pouliot, Gaunce, Corrado, Warsovsky. None have shown to be nearly as reliable as Ruh or really done enough to separate in either direction from the pack when looking at overall 2-way game. Not that that is at all surprising considering we are talking about our #9-#13 defensemen.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Not having a morning skate for an early game really hampers my augury skills. :laugh:

I suppose if I had to go with a guy in for Ruh with short notice for a home game, there's worse options than Pouliot. Might as well continue the reputation rehabilitation train and hope it doesn't hit a penny on the tracks. :dunno:

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Madden's dumber than a ham sandwich and an ass kisser to boot.

Madden is insufferable, but he isn't stupid. He's connected and is actually good friends with Mario, he knows what he's talking about.

The problem is he takes the wrestling character bit too far and allows his love for certain players to cloud his reporting.

I'll tune in every now and then where there is news to be heard about the Pens, like now. I'm usually quickly reminded why I don't listen every day.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
It's not like they have a lot of great options. Streit is probably better, but only because he fits into a neatly-defined role. Outside of that role, he might not be any better. Warsofsky is probably better, but he was awful at the NHL level this year, so that's no guarantee either. Who else is there after that? Don't say Pouliot, because Corrado would be way better than Pouliot.

Like it or not you have to go with Streit. He has the most PO experience. Corrado has 4 games of PO experience with Vancouver back in the 12-13 season.

Now if Streit goes down then you have to choose between Pouliot/Corrado. Not until then though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Madden is insufferable, but he isn't stupid. He's connected and is actually good friends with Mario, he knows what he's talking about.

The problem is he takes the wrestling character bit too far and allows his love for certain players to cloud his reporting.

I'll tune in every now and then where there is news to be heard about the Pens, like now. I'm usually quickly reminded why I don't listen every day.

I wish I could just listen to his interviews. He's like a real human being when he's actually talking to players or people in the organization. It's amazing how smart a conversation between Mark Madden and Bob Errey or Paul Steigerwald can be :laugh:

But I can't listen to his show because the rest is just so bad.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Madden loves his wresting. He takes on the persona of a Heel way too seriously IMO but it seems to get him listeners both that love/hate his show. That being said, he is usually right on about Penguins information. You can tell he's a real fan and for the most part puts out what he believes to be true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad