Injury Report: Vol. 7 (Updates in 1st Post) | Clean Out Day

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
PLAYER |TYPE OF INJURY|REPORTED|RECOVERY TIME|POSSIBLE RETURN|STATUS|UPDATED|SOURCE
Kris Letang | Upper Body | 4.5.17 | 4-6 Mos | Next Season | Skated prior to practice, no other information | 6.7.17 | @peterdianapghpg

Previous injury thread is here
The spreadsheet for tracking injuries during the regular season is here and the one for the playoffs is here. Check the tabs at the bottom for the previous season and playoffs.

« 6.15.17 | End of Season Report »

« Schultz »

« Dumoulin »

« Hagelin »

« Kessel »

« Murray »

« Bonino »

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Quite abusing your fancy shmansy mod-ness and closing threads at 928. That thread was good for another four pages I tell ya! I can never figure out these darn new fangle threads.

Allow me to take the opportunity with this first thread post to say "PLEASE GET BETTER SOON GUYS!!!! PLEASE!!!!"

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well I suppose it could be worse... theoretically at least...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That play on Ruhwedel is the epitome of what's wrong with NHL officiating. First he gets high sticked and bleeds, which should be an automatic 4-minutes, then he gets an elbow to the head, concussing him. Yet the *Pens* come away with the only penalty when Cole goes after Ryan for the headshot? Seriously?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That play on Ruhwedel is the epitome of what's wrong with NHL officiating. First he gets high sticked and bleeds, which should be an automatic 4-minutes, then he gets an elbow to the head, concussing him. Yet the *Pens* come away with the only penalty when Cole goes after Ryan for the headshot? Seriously?

Preach. Seriously the NHL has a player safety problem and an officiating problem. I am desperate for player safety. And if you look at the Ducks/Preds series, you see even more of an issue with that.

But the non-call immediately puts Ruh in a VERY vulnerable position. And I've seen refs huddle together and discuss for a possible penalty. They didn't even get together and Ruh was bleeding. That's a 4 minute powerplay for us and ended up being a 2 minute kill.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
My buddies roomate always says every hit on the Pens are clean and says "oh my god" and walks away when i tell him the hits were dirty. He said "the Penguin went down, his fault for getting hit putting himself in that position".

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I can not wait for the NHL to get a billion dollar plus judgement against it for encouraging cheap hits to the head which lead to players permanent disability and death by refusing to even penalize head shots.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
I can not wait for the NHL to get a billion dollar plus judgement against it for encouraging cheap hits to the head which lead to players permanent disability and death by refusing to even penalize head shots.

Lindros, Savard and others really should be getting together on this one. It's crazy how many players lives are effected from this crap and the NHL tries to hide from it as much as the NFL has.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Lindros, Savard and others really should be getting together on this one. It's crazy how many players lives are effected from this crap and the NHL tries to hide from it as much as the NFL has.

Agreed. I haven't checked out Savard's recent article about his issues, but I hope the NHL gets crushed. They need to take this serious.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Agreed. I haven't checked out Savard's recent article about his issues, but I hope the NHL gets crushed. They need to take this serious.

I said it in the other thread, the NHL is trying to be two things at once. Give the appearance of doing something with their videos and a few players set out as examples, but ignoring even penalizing obvious head shots like tonight in the vast majority of cases thereby encouraging such activity. Don't want to change 'old time' hockey do we?

They are going to get hammered so hard when they are sued.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
So that's what.. the 5th or 6th? concussion this post season on Penguin players.

Ehh, I don't think guys like Rust have a concussion.

Crosby Sheary and Ruhwedel this post season

This season though

Crosby, Crosby, Hornqvist, Hornqvist, Hagelin, Schultz, Sheary, Ruhwedel.

Just seems like it's no longer bad luck these days.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's ****ing ridiculous that there was no penalty on that play. That replay really pisses me off. First Phaneuf goes head hunting and apparently blindsided hits are now A-Ok in the league, then Ryan elbows Ruhwedel in the head and nothing is called.

NHL doing an amazing job padding the case against themselves for the concussion lawsuit.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ehh, I don't think guys like Rust have a concussion.

Crosby Sheary and Ruhwedel this post season

This season though

Crosby, Crosby, Hornqvist, Hornqvist, Hagelin, Schultz, Sheary, Ruhwedel.

Just seems like it's no longer bad luck these days.

The first Sid one was just bad in practice, but the 2nd one, it's the league failing to protect their players, a cross check to the face was deemed a hockey play. Horny just ran over Sheary for his. Ruhwedel took an elbow to the head and that's cool apparently.

Schultz was crushed from behind by the Jets and hey, that was ok too.

The league's Department of Player Safety doesn't really seem to exist anymore.

I accidentally clicked Ruhwedel Twitter and saw he's a Patriots fan. I don't care anymore :naughty:

Well guess what, Crosby is friends with Brady.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007

I watched both post games and I expected dumb and dumber to defend it but even Kevin Weeks said it was an unfortunate hit but clean. Whatever the **** that means. The NHL seems to have no one to even question what goes on out there with a significant voice. I assume they think everything is just rosy. Anybody who's against these kind's of hits just get's blacklisted from the league and anything involved with the NHL.

Elbowed in the face by a high hit after getting sticked in the face. Hockey play
Crosschecked in the face after getting slashed in the head. Hockey play

When does it end? I mean matt calvert broke a stick across kuhnhackl's neck in frustration and got one whole game suspension. Would a homicide be 3 or 4 games at this point? The NHL really doesn't give a ****.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
So much of it is still treated as old time hockey. Like oh tough ****, suck it up boys. We use to play without helmets out there! Until they get more fresh blood into the ownership and management the guys bringing up this **** in meetings will just continue to be ignored.

I was listening to TSN after the Crosby hit in the Washington series and they mentioned it's always the same small group in meetings. Rutherford, Shero who want more done to protect players heads and they get drowned out.

With better equipment, it feels like players started to take more liberties with each other on the ice.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Everyone. ****ing everyone. By the second intermission, I expect Jarry to be in net, Malkin-Kunitz to be the first defensive pairing, and they'll be pulling guys out of the stands to skate on the bottom 6.

I don't think you can find someone dumb enough in the stands to suit up only to get whacked in the face with a hockey stick or an elbow.

This kind of stuff would be ok in the bruiser goon days when the league wasn't filled with multi-million dollar superstars who sell tickets and fill arenas. These guys train incredibly hard and dedicate their lives to condition themselves to be able to compete in this league.

It's no longer a bunch of goons suiting to go on the ice to demolish opposing players and cause serious bodily harm. It's a talent driven league with a vast increase in the speed of the game and the protection protocols need to change to accommodate this.

People are right about the NHL putting on the facade of implementing protective measures and hiding behind them like the NFL. The 'concussion spotters' hired by the NHL is a joke and it seems they have been implemented solely for protecting the league should/when the lawsuits come and not actually helping to protect the player.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Old time hockey. Eric Lindros was supposed to be the next great hockey player, his career was cut short because of concussions. Paul Kariya, Marc Savard, those are star players severely affected by concussions. The NHL doesn't even care about it's stars, or players in general. Hell, their grinders/enforcers are DYING young and they STILL don't care. People have literally died because of the brain damage they suffered from playing hockey and still they refuse to change anything.

I've said this many times before, how can a league that wants to eliminate head shots still allow fighting? I've enjoyed Olympic hockey and there's none of the dirty play we see even in the regular season, nevermind the playoffs. Maybe that's why the NHL doesn't want to have players in the Olympics, they don't want people to see you can have entertaining, hard fought games without the cheap shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->