Injury Report: Vol. 7 (Updates in 1st Post) | Clean Out Day

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Yohe said that he's heard Schultz may be the closest to returning to the ice of the injured Pens as well on DK's site this AM. So who knows, but that would be great. I'd like to get Rust and PH back, but the mix up front right now looks plenty solid enough to beat this Ottawa team.

Yeah especially with Ruh out now, the drop-off from Schultz to Streit/Gaunce/Pouliot is more significant right now to the defense than Horns and Rust to guys like Archie is to the forward group. Not too minimize the importance of guys like Horns and Rust, but it's easier to patch up those holes at forward than on d particularly with Letang out.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Oh really? Madden also said Letang would be back by the end of the season and his injury wasn't bad. :laugh: Dammit.. vabm beat me to it.

Madden also said he thinks Ghost from Philly for Murray would be a good trade for this team, just last week. I immediately turned it off.

I like Madden, but he's such a hypocrite.

Last season he was saying the Pens should trade Malkin and they play better without him. Malkin comes back and they win the cup. Not a peep about being wrong from Madden.

I also laughed when he suggested in late Jan that Guentzel should go back to the A.

Heard him a week or so ago pounding his chest about MAF and making fun of people who thought he was a choker. Ok hypocrite...

He's an unabashed MAF fan boy.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
FWIW, Tom Gulitti of NHL.com suggests Hornqvist might be the closest of the three (Schultz, Rust and himself) to returning tomorrow afternoon. He'd be a welcomed addition, to be sure.

As for the defense, do we try Streit again, or go with Pouliot or Warsofsky? I doubt we go with Gaunce unless we lose Cole, Dumoulin or Maatta.

If Hornqvist can return, bench Sheary. I can't watch him anymore.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
FWIW, Tom Gulitti of NHL.com suggests Hornqvist might be the closest of the three (Schultz, Rust and himself) to returning tomorrow afternoon. He'd be a welcomed addition, to be sure.

As for the defense, do we try Streit again, or go with Pouliot or Warsofsky? I doubt we go with Gaunce unless we lose Cole, Dumoulin or Maatta.

I'd guess it will be Streit. I'm praying it will be Schultz.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Ruhwedel's replacement will be one of three guys: Schultz, Streit or Pouliot.

They are the only scratched defensemen who have taken part in warm-ups this postseason. None of the other AHL guys have done that.

If Schultz can't go, I would not be surprised if Pouliot gets a shot. Streit provided nothing in his Game 3 appearance and as much as Pouliot struggled in his handful of NHL games this season, word was he did well at the end of the AHL season.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Ruhwedel's replacement will be one of three guys: Schultz, Streit or Pouliot.

They are the only scratched defensemen who have taken part in warm-ups this postseason. None of the other AHL guys have done that.

If Schultz can't go, I would not be surprised if Pouliot gets a shot. Streit provided nothing in his Game 3 appearance and as much as Pouliot struggled in his handful of NHL games this season, word was he did well at the end of the AHL season.

Pouliot played in 2 playoff games last year. The fact that he's behind all these WBS dmen we signed in the offseason tells me they don't trust him. At least for now.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
The steady injury bug is just the Penguins more structured way of getting a steady dose of fresh legs and energy into the lineup, both when injured guys need to be replaced and then when they come back. The injuries alone dictate a change or two to the lineup every game and the guys stepping in give them a little jolt of energy (Wilson, Rowney, Archie, etc).

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014

This basically means Hornqvist is alert, breathing, and capable of walking on his own power.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The steady injury bug is just the Penguins more structured way of getting a steady dose of fresh legs and energy into the lineup, both when injured guys need to be replaced and then when they come back. The injuries alone dictate a change or two to the lineup every game and the guys stepping in give them a little jolt of energy (Wilson, Rowney, Archie, etc).

Sure but it would be nice to be able to pick and choose who gets hurt and who doesn't.

Losing Hornqvist, Rust and Schultz in this series alone has been really hard to overcome. They have done a great job of keeping the series even throughout.

Hopefully, the longer the series goes the better the chances of getting guys back.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Olli absorbs the powers of his fallen comrades, that's how he scored that goal.

Olli stopped magically avoiding points. He's almost matched his production for the season and his ppg is slightly above his rookie season ppg. I figured something would eventually give there, I just didn't think the playoffs would fix that. I still don't know how he managed 7 points in 55 games, you'd expect dumb luck to get him more.

Really? **** eh! It definitely is. :laugh:

I've given up applying logic to this team. :laugh:

Schultz went down early in game two.

Game 2 - Kessel from Malkin and Maatta
Game 3 - Crosby from Kessel and Streit on the PP
Game 4 - Maatta from Crosby and Guentzel, (Crosby from Guentzel and Kessel on the PP), Dumoulin from Cole and Wilson.

Schultz 8p (14gp), Maatta 6p, Cole 6p, Hainsey 5p, Dumoulin 3p, Daley 1p (12gp), Streit 1p (1gp). It doesn't make sense. Look at Hainsey. Look. At. Hainsey.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I like Madden, but he's such a hypocrite.

Last season he was saying the Pens should trade Malkin and they play better without him. Malkin comes back and they win the cup. Not a peep about being wrong from Madden.

I also laughed when he suggested in late Jan that Guentzel should go back to the A.

Heard him a week or so ago pounding his chest about MAF and making fun of people who thought he was a choker. Ok hypocrite...

He's an unabashed MAF fan boy.

It's frustrating to try and get some talk radio about hockey. I'm listening to Madden and he says he would trade Murray for Gostisbehere, who is ****ing older than Murray. :laugh:

So I shake my head, turn on SiriusXM to NHL Radio and they start talking about the Pens/Sens series. They go on to talk about how Hainsey and Maatta have been the Pens best defenders and how Hainsey's deadline pick up is a gamechanger for Pittsburgh. I shake my head again and just turn it off. I had nothing else to tune into and I'm never going to tune into 93.7 The Fan because they are the worst sports talk radio show in the world.

I question if anyone actually watches the game and has a normal outlook. I'm not saying everyone should see the game the same way I am, but they just push narratives that sound right instead of actually BEING right.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Hainsey hasn't been that bad considering how depleted our D is. And him having too much responsibility. If we had a healthy D, and he was our #6...I don't think anybody would be complaining about him.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
It's frustrating to try and get some talk radio about hockey. I'm listening to Madden and he says he would trade Murray for Gostisbehere, who is ****ing older than Murray. :laugh:

So I shake my head, turn on SiriusXM to NHL Radio and they start talking about the Pens/Sens series. They go on to talk about how Hainsey and Maatta have been the Pens best defenders and how Hainsey's deadline pick up is a gamechanger for Pittsburgh. I shake my head again and just turn it off. I had nothing else to tune into and I'm never going to tune into 93.7 The Fan because they are the worst sports talk radio show in the world.

I question if anyone actually watches the game and has a normal outlook. I'm not saying everyone should see the game the same way I am, but they just push narratives that sound right instead of actually BEING right.

The best you'll get is when Rupp is on Madden. Even some isolated DK segments on Madden have been fine, like when DK was trying to convince MM that Guentzel was for real mid-season. I tend to think that DK has become a mouthpiece for the hockey writers on his site, who do an adequate job as beat-writers (though a very spotty job as analysts).

edit, yes, this derail was Cole's fault!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad