Injury Report: Vol. 7 (Updates in 1st Post) | Clean Out Day

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I'm sick of hearing the term "hockey play" for some of these hits that are not just only for intimidation and punishment, but completely reckless disregard for the opponent or clear intent to injure but not called that.

The NHL does a disservice to the game, not just their players.

They are "NHL plays" not "hockey plays".

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I said it in the other thread, the NHL is trying to be two things at once. Give the appearance of doing something with their videos and a few players set out as examples, but ignoring even penalizing obvious head shots like tonight in the vast majority of cases thereby encouraging such activity. Don't want to change 'old time' hockey do we?

They are going to get hammered so hard when they are sued.

Agree.

The way the rule reads, I thought the Ryan play could go either way. Ryan could have been penalized because he didn't avoid the contact to the head, but Ruh arguably put himself in a vulnerable position (this sets aside the obvious first high stick infraction).

The bigger question is how the league justifies having a rule that prohibits illegal hits to the head, but thereby allows (or some would argue even encourages) some kind of legal hits to the head. Doing this all while they feign a concern about concussions. That won't hold up.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Agree.

The way the rule reads, I thought the Ryan play could go either way. Ryan could have been penalized because he didn't avoid the contact to the head, but Ruh arguably put himself in a vulnerable position (this sets aside the obvious first high stick infraction).

The bigger question is how the league justifies having a rule that prohibits illegal hits to the head, but thereby allows (or some would argue even encourages) some kind of legal hits to the head. Doing this all while they feign a concern about concussions. That won't hold up.

Just make all contact with the head illegal, makes things simpler.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Agree.

there is no such a thing as a legal hit to the head? This is not boxing. It should be on a player that delivers the hit not a player on the recieving end to make sure he does not hit his head.

A simple rule. No hits on head allowed. period.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I was listening to TSN after the Crosby hit in the Washington series and they mentioned it's always the same small group in meetings. Rutherford, Shero who want more done to protect players heads and they get drowned out.

The way I remember it it was Shero and Bob Gainey (then-GM of the Habs) who started an initiative against headshots some years ago. Rutherford and Bryan Murray (Ottawa) supported them initially but backed down when there clearly was no majority forthcoming. Shero was probably personally motivated because his son had just suffered a serious concussion in amateur hockey.

IIRC that GM meeting was during the off-season before Savard got rocked by Cooke. Chiarelli was really a hypocrite for blowing up at Cooke and the league when only months before he'd made sure his fan base would get more red meat to devour. And that is the problem with all the GMs. As long as it's not happening to their own team, they don't care. Same goes for the NHLPA who blew my mind when they appealed Thornton's suspension after his assault on Orpik. They should be wanting to get that crap out of the game in their own best interests. But the entire league, from top to bottom, is acting mind-boggingly stupid when it comes to health and safety concerns. They put so much emphasis on healthy food and training now but are completely blinded by some sort of goon nostalgia when it comes to possibly life-threatening injuries. :banghead:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

There will probably be some sort of media availability today, but I wouldn't expect any injury updates.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
We can always continue our daily injury watch and hope for Schultz...

He's considered day-to-day, and they haven't said anything definitive about him. I wouldn't rule him out from playing soon, but I'm not expecting him to be in the lineup tomorrow.

Yikes, lets hope we can avoid Hainsey/Maatta/Streit being on the ice at the same time. Maybe Streit pots one on the PP though.

They'll have to do what they did yesterday. Make sure they spend more time in Ottawa's end.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Oh really? Madden also said Letang would be back by the end of the season and his injury wasn't bad. :laugh: Dammit.. vabm beat me to it.

Madden also said he thinks Ghost from Philly for Murray would be a good trade for this team, just last week. I immediately turned it off.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Nothing from the usual sources, but did find this ...

If you're not familiar with him, he used to be the NJD beat reporter before moving on to NHL.com. Has a solid reputation.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Oh really? Madden also said Letang would be back by the end of the season and his injury wasn't bad. :laugh: Dammit.. vabm beat me to it.

Madden also said he thinks Ghost from Philly for Murray would be a good trade for this team, just last week. I immediately turned it off.

What? :biglaugh:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Yohe said that he's heard Schultz may be the closest to returning to the ice of the injured Pens as well on DK's site this AM. So who knows, but that would be great. I'd like to get Rust and PH back, but the mix up front right now looks plenty solid enough to beat this Ottawa team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00