Injury Report: Vol. 7 (Updates in 1st Post) | Clean Out Day

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hainsey hasn't been that bad considering how depleted our D is. And him having too much responsibility. If we had a healthy D, and he was our #6...I don't think anybody would be complaining about him.

Agreed but game changing? Ahhhhh I don't think so. But nonetheless - back to injuries before Degen kills me for taking it off topic. :laugh:

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
The one thing Hainsey has been good at is clearing opponents out of the crease. Which is something our defense never does enough. But he's awful with the puck. And yesterday he tripped over the blue line, leaving Olli to deal with two forwards at once which led to the first Sens goal... Hainsey would be a dependable 3rd pairing D but he's playing too much.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Hainsey hasn't been that bad considering how depleted our D is. And him having too much responsibility. If we had a healthy D, and he was our #6...I don't think anybody would be complaining about him.

Probably not. He's had some real stinkers but last night he did some really good things getting his stick on the puck a lot and breaking up plays.

Last night he was good enough.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Well, Hainsey was not brought in to replace Letang...let's just be thankful that he has been able to play solid hockey for the most part for us...even while logging huge minutes. Let's also not forget he has played almost exclusively at right defense since coming over to us, while playing only left defense in Carolina this season (and also last, IIRC).

I actually think Cole might be a better right defenseman, so I would not mind to see that switch if we can get Schultz back.

Without Schultz and Ruhwedel, though, we will be forced to play both Hainsey and Cole (along with Daley) at right D. No right shots. Clear disadvantage.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Well, Hainsey was not brought in to replace Letang...let's just be thankful that he has been able to play solid hockey for the most part for us...even while logging huge minutes. Let's also not forget he has played almost exclusively at right defense since coming over to us, while playing only left defense in Carolina this season (and also last, IIRC).

I actually think Cole might be a better right defenseman, so I would not mind to see that switch if we can get Schultz back.

Without Schultz and Ruhwedel, though, we will be forced to play both Hainsey and Cole (along with Daley) at right D. No right shots. Clear disadvantage.

Corrado is a righty. Rather him in than Streit.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Corrado has played only 20 games in our system, without exactly lighting the world on fire. I don't think the coaches trust him enough to drop him into the playoffs on short notice. I have a hunch they'd rather give Pouliot another chance.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Corrado has played only 20 games in our system, without exactly lighting the world on fire. I don't think the coaches trust him enough to drop him into the playoffs on short notice. I have a hunch they'd rather give Pouliot another chance.

Yeah Sully is big on trust with line up decisions and it's usually for the best. Streit made me nervous though. They could limit his minutes but we also need spread it out a little.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
To me, it's Streit vs Pouliot. It's gonna be Streit for better or definitely worse. We need Schultz back in the biggest, baddest way. I don't know how you can even get reasonable pairings with Streit in.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
To me, it's Streit vs Pouliot. It's gonna be Streit for better or definitely worse. We need Schultz back in the biggest, baddest way. I don't know how you can even get reasonable pairings with Streit in.

Pouliot to complete the Cinderella story. :laugh:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Wars is a strange situation. He was great last year but he was pretty bad in the NHL this year.

I also think Streit is the most likely, and Poo has an outside chance.

On the other hand, Corrado is the only righty we have and he has played as many games in the system as Streit has. Sully doesn't have that familiarity with him though.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

It's this. There isn't a good option and they're at the limit with the defensive depth. More like well over the limit. Streit? No, I already have to cringe at the **** Hainsey does. Pouliot? Ugh, depressing situation. Warsofsky? No, he struggled in those NHL games he had. Corrado? At least he's a RHD... Gaunce? Awful 9/10 of the time.

They need Schultz back, anything else is going to suck.

No Schultz?

Maatta-Daley
Dumoulin-Hainsey
Cole-Streit/extra shifts for everyone but Hainsey.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
yeah, if Schultz isn't ready to go tomorrow I think you need to play like we have 5 D outside of the powerplay and a small handful of very well protected shifts.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
yeah, if Schultz isn't ready to go tomorrow I think you need to play like we have 5 D outside of the powerplay and a small handful of very well protected shifts.

Hopefully Ruhwedel or Schultz are good to go for Game 6.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Streit is infinitely better than Pouliot. At least Streit is useful for something. At his best, he's excellent offensively and doesn't kill you defensively. At his worst, he's useful offensively and pretty much kills you defensively. Pouliot at his best is useless offensively and doesn't kill you defensively. At his worst, he kills you everywhere. I'd honestly, and I'm not even joking, play Fleury or Jarry on D before Pouliot.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Streit is infinitely better than Pouliot. At least Streit is useful for something. At his best, he's excellent offensively and doesn't kill you defensively. At his worst, he's useful offensively and pretty much kills you defensively. Pouliot at his best is useless offensively and doesn't kill you defensively. At his worst, he kills you everywhere. I'd honestly, and I'm not even joking, play Fleury or Jarry on D before Pouliot.

Rowney to center, Sid can play D. Let's go.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Put down the bottle, friend.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Sully played Gaunce alot this year too so i wouldn't rule him out either.
Really it could be anyone if they don't go with Streit.
Likely Gaunce or Pooh.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Man, I am just not comfortable with Gaunce. During the regular season, I was pleased overall with the play of Ruhwedel, but every time I saw Gaunce play, I felt like he was really shaky. I feel like Ruhwedel has continued to play decently into the playoffs -- looks pretty steady, as he did in the regular season. But Gaunce? I think I'd rather see someone else in there, instead. I think I'd play Streit, or even Warsofsky, before I'd play Gaunce. Between Pooh and Gaunce? Not sure...

Topic for another thread, but...boy do we need to re-stock our defensive cupboard. :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad