Injury Report: Vol. 4 (Updates in First Post) | Geno Says He's a Game-Time Decision for Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Tuesday would only be game 3. I'm not thinking sweep, just feels like, after so many off-days, the day they'd probably be aiming for for most of these guys

I have them in 5 unless there's a problem with goalies returning but it doesn't look that way. Rust will be major depth IF he's able to infuse the Pens right away with his forte & also, quickly, same for Malkin (although i bet Geno will be a PP beast in a flash).

If both join the squad before series 1 ends, how much time will it take them to get back in the game?

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I like Cole as a 5-6, and a spot #4. I also like Sundqvist in that lineup. He plays a heavy game, and he's always struck me as one of those guys that when the going starts getting rough, he turns into one of those guys that can cause some havoc. He's probably not seasoned enough for this type of game right now, but I'd like to see him get spot starts if someone in the bottom 6 starts hitting a cold spell.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Or was it his broken foot that ruined his season? :laugh:

So hard to keep the excuses straight.

He started to stare a lot instead of skating when he returned from that foot injury. His foot might have stepped beyond the event horizon, giving him a new perception of the game.

Iron deficiency = energy loss, another excuse or just a way to back his superior staring ability?

/Klownitz mode

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I like Cole as a 5-6, and a spot #4. I also like Sundqvist in that lineup. He plays a heavy game, and he's always struck me as one of those guys that when the going starts getting rough, he turns into one of those guys that can cause some havoc. He's probably not seasoned enough for this type of game right now, but I'd like to see him get spot starts if someone in the bottom 6 starts hitting a cold spell.

Absolutely.

I'm wondering where Schultz fits in. I'm betting they are going to run Cole-Lovejoy as the 3rd pairing with Schultz as the #7. Against my wishes but this is what I see happening. Not the worst but not my favorite. Lovejoy had a poor game overall but had a handful of good plays.

When Malkin gets back that makes 12 skaters. When Rust or Bennett are ready to go it's decision time. I'm not convinced you even insert Bennett unless there are injuries. I fear Sundqvist may be a casualty and that stinks. Like you said, I think he could become a key player when things get rough. I would love a third line of Sundqvist-Malkin-Sheary (assume Kunitz stays put with Sid). I think that could be a fun mix to watch.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
This is where people's opinion of a player influences what they are actually seeing on the ice.

Kunitz isn't even the worst on his line at passing through players, let alone the entire team.

Actually, what I see on the ice influences my opinion of the player. Love how people assume that we just rag on a guy for the fun of it.

Out of morbid curiosity, who's the worst on his line at passing through opposing players.?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Absolutely.

I'm wondering where Schultz fits in. I'm betting they are going to run Cole-Lovejoy as the 3rd pairing with Schultz as the #7. Against my wishes but this is what I see happening. Not the worst but not my favorite. Lovejoy had a poor game overall but had a handful of good plays.

When Malkin gets back that makes 12 skaters. When Rust or Bennett are ready to go it's decision time. I'm not convinced you even insert Bennett unless there are injuries. I fear Sundqvist may be a casualty and that stinks. Like you said, I think he could become a key player when things get rough. I would love a third line of Sundqvist-Malkin-Sheary (assume Kunitz stays put with Sid). I think that could be a fun mix to watch.

I personally think Lovejoy is the very clear odd man out right now.

Schultz has been great here. Is Schultz Scott Stevens? No. Can he become a Niskanen? I could completely see it. I don't think he's nearly as bad defensively as advertised, though his defensive game still has a ways to go. I'd like to see him trusted more on the powerplay. I know it's sacrilegious to want Letang off the first unit, but I think he should be. I'd like to see Daley and/or Schultz as the point men.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Absolutely.

You definitely insert Rust but yeah I'd be wary of Bennett unless he's completely convinced he's healthy.

I don't like the thought of taking Schultz out. He's been good. Lovejoy was fine too in game 1 of course so it's not the worst thing if that's the way they go but ultimately I think I'd prefer Schultz for the offensive upside.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Geno still seems to be following his 6-8 week timeline. Next tuesday would put him at around 5 and a half weeks.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Actually, what I see on the ice influences my opinion of the player. Love how people assume that we just rag on a guy for the fun of it.

If that was actually the case, you'd see that he frequently makes short smart quick passes off the boards to Crosby in stride.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You definitely insert Rust but yeah I'd be wary of Bennett unless he's completely convinced he's healthy.

I don't like the thought of taking Schultz out. He's been good. Lovejoy was fine too in game 1 of course so it's not the worst thing if that's the way they go but ultimately I think I'd prefer Schultz for the offensive upside.

For me, if you take Schultz out and keep Lovejoy, you're entirely dependent on Cole-Daley/Maatta/DP and Dumo/Lovejoy, due to Lovejoy and Cole looking awful together. I don't mind one or the other in the lineup, but both sucks. It limits our options and our team overall - especially with how we have recently had success and how Sully wants us to play.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
If that was actually the case, you'd see that he frequently makes short smart quick passes off the boards to Crosby in stride.

I actually agree with BOTH you, and Mtl...

Kunitz, rather often, makes these nice little short quick passes to Crosby in stride -- often from the boards, little chips and such that hit Sid with speed. I know just the plays you refer to, Riptide. If you watch close, and take off the hate glasses, you can still see flashes of the Kunitz of 5-6 years ago. He does make some good plays, he DOES hustle back on the backcheck at times, and does make some nice hits at times, he does make some nice wall plays at times. HOWEVER, he also constantly hits shins/sticks with passes, makes some AWFUL giveaways, appears lazy/unmotivated at times, whiffs/flubs way more passes and/or shots than he used to...in other words, he's deteriorating rapidly, but not COMPLETELY. This is just my opinion -- but I try to watch him without bias, and this is what I see.

YES, he needs to be UN-GLUED from Sid's hip, YES, he's one of our least effective forwards most of the time, and YES, I would like to see him traded soon -- while some out there would still possibly give up something decent for him (if Scuderi can land Daley, SURELY Kunitz could is capable enough at hockey to bring back something useful). I can see both sides of the argument, I truly can. Sometimes, the hate for him here is irrational and borderline obsessive. Sometimes, though, many times, he actually is one of our worst forwards in any given game. To me, the reason he's a bit of an enigma is that he is still capable of -- and still sometimes DOES -- make the type of skill play or score a nifty/timely goal that many players rarely will/could. Problem is, in many of our games, he also makes more poor decisions and commits more errors than ANY of our other wingers.

In a way, he's almost like a young player. You see flashes of brilliance, but lots and lots of what appear to be "rookie" or "inexperienced" mistakes. MADDENING mistakes. And so he raises some of the same questions that a young rookie raises -- YES, you can see the skill, but will his frequent, repeated mistakes kill you to the extent that he can't be relied upon in a full-time role, despite the occasional flashes of skill...

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Uh, no, you don't see any flash of skill(brilliance? lol) anymore.

He can sometimes skate into space and get a one timer off on goal.
That doesn't take much skill.

If this roster was fully healthy, i wouldn't even dress him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If Sid and Hornqvist weren't clearly more effective with Sheary instead of Kunitz, I would be a lot less annoyed with Kunitz. But as it stands, I don't know how you can go into next game with the plan of giving Kunitz more minutes in that spot than Sheary. You have to try it. He's been more effective. If he isn't as good in a bigger role, switch back.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm sorry, but Kunitz sucks. Particularly as part of a scoring line. People can throw stats out all they want, but I watch the guy personify garbage on skates night in and night out, for two full years now. Stats lie in the case of Kunitz.

I've said all season that if not for Scuderi genuinely being the worst player in the league, Kunitz would be the worst player on this team--by far. Ever since Scuderi left, the illustrious title is Kunitz's alone.

The guy sucks. He's sucked for a long time. He doesn't belong on a scoring line--certainly not on a team with legit Cup aspirations. He's a bottom-6 guy at this stage of his career, with no rightful spot on this team. The fact that anyone even attempts to defend him is absurd to me. :laugh: It makes me think all they do is read stat lines and completely ignore what goes on every game on the ice.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Kunitz is at that place you hate seeing a player. He'll occasionally do something good but his normal performance is bad. Bad plays happen, the problem is when they become the most common thing a player does. The good is enough for a coach to get fooled by.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Kunitz would be a great 3rd line player, getting 10-12 mins a game. His is an awful 1st line player getting 16-18 mins a game, and powerplay time.

Just like players before him, people don't necessarily hate Kunitz (at least they shouldn't), they just hate the position he's in, and I can completely understand and agree with that frustration.

Sheary played with Crosby and Hornqvist and they were awesome. That line right there has potential to be gigantic for us in these playoffs, and I'd probably say that's what we should see going forward until proven otherwise.

Geno's line is the only one we have to figure out, and something tells me he'll mesh well with Kuhnhackl.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think he's too lazy for a 3rd line role at this point, tbh, and they've brilliantly overplayed him this season so he's out of gas. A major part of his issue is lazy **** and standing around watching his screw ups become **** ups. He makes bad decisions, some of them stem from laziness and then he won't bother to help clean it up.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Hornqvist has never been a guy who can make a slick pass. Kunitz could but that skill's pretty much gone. 14 is still useful but not playing 18 minutes next to Sid.

Sheary and Malkin should be keeping Kunitz below 15 minutes regularly soon.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Kunitz wasn't good on the third line earlier in the season. He's too slow/lazy most of the time to be an effective checking line player, and he's not good enough to bring a scoring element when not gifted time on Sid's wing.

He's a 4th liner, or press box fodder. Especially on this team, with combinations you don't wanna **** with (Sid/Horny need a new LW, Hags/Kessel are a pair that can't be touched, Kuhn/Sundqvist/Cullen/Fehr/Rust are all better options than Kunitz up and down the lineup).

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Uh, no, you don't see any flash of skill(brilliance? lol) anymore.

He can sometimes skate into space and get a one timer off on goal.
That doesn't take much skill.

If this roster was fully healthy, i wouldn't even dress him.

Perhaps brilliance is too strong of a word. Don't key on that one word -- just insert the word "skill" if you want...flashes of skill. But I think the bulk of my point is true...

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
If Sid and Hornqvist weren't clearly more effective with Sheary instead of Kunitz, I would be a lot less annoyed with Kunitz. But as it stands, I don't know how you can go into next game with the plan of giving Kunitz more minutes in that spot than Sheary. You have to try it. He's been more effective. If he isn't as good in a bigger role, switch back.

Fully agree...

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I'm sorry, but Kunitz sucks. Particularly as part of a scoring line. People can throw stats out all they want, but I watch the guy personify garbage on skates night in and night out, for two full years now. Stats lie in the case of Kunitz.

I've said all season that if not for Scuderi genuinely being the worst player in the league, Kunitz would be the worst player on this team--by far. Ever since Scuderi left, the illustrious title is Kunitz's alone.

The guy sucks. He's sucked for a long time. He doesn't belong on a scoring line--certainly not on a team with legit Cup aspirations. He's a bottom-6 guy at this stage of his career, with no rightful spot on this team. The fact that anyone even attempts to defend him is absurd to me. :laugh: It makes me think all they do is read stat lines and completely ignore what goes on every game on the ice.

Trust me, I do NOT "read stat lines and completely ignore what goes on every game on the ice." I have watched -- closely -- virtually every game this season (except for a handful that I simply couldn't, for various reasons). No, he shouldn't be on a scoring line. If he were traded to this team tomorrow, and had none of the entrenched history with Sid, and he were simply evaluated and played where he fit in, he'd probably be tried on the third line, and if he didn't have the wheels (or wouldn't be motivated enough to use them) in that role, then he'd probably be the 13th forward. We have enough other guys, young, hungry guys who help us win, in our bottom six that he'd have a tough time cracking the roster. He'd probably end up the 13th forward, but capable of filling in on any line in the event of injury...

Unfortunately, and I think where much of the hate comes from, is that he seems permanently, irrationally, maddeningly GLUED to Sid's LW, to the detriment of the line (and the team). MAYBE that is beginning to very slowly change (re: Sheary)

Last edited:

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Kunitz is at that place you hate seeing a player. He'll occasionally do something good but his normal performance is bad. Bad plays happen, the problem is when they become the most common thing a player does. The good is enough for a coach to get fooled by.

Agree. This is what I was trying to say. You said it much more succinctly! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad