Injury Report: Vol. 4 (Updates in First Post) | Geno Says He's a Game-Time Decision for Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I want to see Sheary with Sid and Hornqvist for a whole game so we can see what it looks like.

The problem is that we're in a 6 or a half dozen argument. Have 4 centers in Sid, Malkin, Bonino, and Cullen. Take Kunitz off of Crosby's line and basically gift him to Geno. That is not an overall net gain.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Remember folks...t his is the injury thread. Let's move lines and lineups to the Series discussion thread.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
With Sullivan's smoke and mirrors tactics I don't know what to expect with Geno. Could be back saturday, but I think next week is more likely. He does look good in that video though and if those reports of slappers are true, Doc Rossi might be a perfect candidate for the Pens medical staff.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
With Sullivan's smoke and mirrors tactics I don't know what to expect with Geno. Could be back saturday, but I think next week is more likely. He does look good in that video though and if those reports of slappers are true, Doc Rossi might be a perfect candidate for the Pens medical staff.

Game 3 is my bet.

He is participating in his first full practice today. Game 3 is Tuesday, that's 1 full practice today, 1 optional on Sunday, 1 full practice on Monday, 1 game-day skate on Tuesday. That should be enough.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Remember folks...t his is the injury thread. Let's move lines and lineups to the Series discussion thread.

Yep. I clicked on here looking for injury updates and could have swore after reading some of the recent posts that I accidentally clicked on either the Hate Kunitz thread or the lineup thread.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Absolutely.

I'm wondering where Schultz fits in. I'm betting they are going to run Cole-Lovejoy as the 3rd pairing with Schultz as the #7. Against my wishes but this is what I see happening. Not the worst but not my favorite. Lovejoy had a poor game overall but had a handful of good plays.

When Malkin gets back that makes 12 skaters. When Rust or Bennett are ready to go it's decision time. I'm not convinced you even insert Bennett unless there are injuries. I fear Sundqvist may be a casualty and that stinks. Like you said, I think he could become a key player when things get rough. I would love a third line of Sundqvist-Malkin-Sheary (assume Kunitz stays put with Sid). I think that could be a fun mix to watch.

Why do people keep thinking Cole-Lovejoy is going to happen? When has that ever been a pairing (outside of a few shifts when they have 7D)? I'm like 99% confident that pairing isn't happening on a regular basis. If anything, they'd role:

Daley-Letang, Dumo-Lovejoy, Maatta-Cole

But even that I doubt. Maatta-Cole together might be a tad slow and Sully has to know how dynamic their breakout and transition game has been with one 'offensive' guy on each pairing.

EDIT: Sorry Cole. Onto the injuries...

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Did anyone else listen to the off day interviews yesterday?

Geno seemed confident (and Sully too) that he's be back at some point this series. I don't know if that's good or bad (in the sense of him rushing back).

Rust seemed hit or miss about his chances and how long he'd be out.

MAF was just weird. Said something like "I need to watch what I say" and it was hard to tell what he meant by that. After watching his interview, I'm not sure how confident I am in him being ready for Game 2.

Sully has been making solid decisions, but damn was the decision to start Murray against the Flyers stupid. Really, really stupid in retrospect, but without hindsight, it didn't make any sense.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Yep. I clicked on here looking for injury updates and could have swore after reading some of the recent posts that I accidentally clicked on either the Hate Kunitz thread or the lineup thread.

Updates are always in the first post :)

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
MAF was just weird. Said something like "I need to watch what I say" and it was hard to tell what he meant by that. After watching his interview, I'm not sure how confident I am in him being ready for Game 2.

I took that as Sullivan not wanting anyone tipping their hand as to who is going to play in game 2.

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
At this point, I'm thinking (based on almost nothing other than tweets and this thread) that Malkin comes back for game 3. I have absolutely no clue when Fleury will be back, but it better be soon.

I've been a huge Sullivan fan so far, but it was a major blunder to play Murray against Philly if they knew that Fleury possibly couldn't return for the playoffs.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Anything on Murray coming back? Be nice if he played game 2 and MAF game 3 if he is ready.

As far as news on him, it was tweeted yesterday that he was at least on the ice. So that was good news. He was not at practice like Fleury was though, so one would assume not cleared for practice like Fleury had been. So yes, he is further behind than Fleury.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Assuming Murray's issue is a concussion. If it's just a strained neck he could return sooner since the protocol is different.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009

As far as news on him, it was tweeted yesterday that he was at least on the ice. So that was good news. He was not at practice like Fleury was though, so one would assume not cleared for practice like Fleury had been. So yes, he is further behind than Fleury.

It'll be like baseball. Instead of pitching rotation you'll have a goalie rotation.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
I wonder if the plan is to hold Malkin out until we lose a game this series? Seems like it would make since if he is still not truly 100%, or at least at a comfortable place health-wise to play at an elite level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad