Injury Report: Vol. 4 (Updates in First Post) | Geno Says He's a Game-Time Decision for Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'll just have to respectfully disagree that Fehr has been anything close to good enough to plop next to a recovering and rusty Evgeni Malkin. Especially with a big bunch of "whoever" on the other wing.

Based on what, exactly? Because he's not scoring a lot of goals? People really need to look at how a player is used to help set their expectations.

In general, Fehr has had a down year, with injuries. He looked weak on his skates and unwilling to engage when he first came back from his recent injury. He's been skating better, stronger, and engaging physically recently and playing a good possession game, and getting shots and opportunities.

For the year, he's started in the O zone less than 20% of the time, and in the D zone 47% of the time. That's a crazy stat. He's never been deployed in such a defensive role his entire career. Yet people expect the production of career years when he was deployed as more of a two way player. Entirely unrealistic.

I honestly expect Kuhn/Cullen/Fehr to stay together, because those are the players MS will trust most to take tough D zone draws, followed by Sid's line. But Fehr really isn't a problem right now.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
They said 6-8 weeks - just over 5 weeks ago (Mar 13th). They also noted that Malkin has a history of being a fast healer.

More like he is the Penguins' version of the Black Knight. If someone needs to be protected against himself its Geno. Anyway, since this injury has something to do with his hand/arm/elbow, will see pretty quick into his first game back if he is fully healed with all the slashing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Geno is ready before Rust or Bennett, I expect us to run with:

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel
Sheary-Malkin-Sundqvist
Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Fehr

When Rust comes back, I think Fehr slides up and Rust takes the 4th line RW spot. When Beau comes back, I could see him in for Sheary to be honest.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Kunitz's issues aren't that he can't keep up with Sid. Hornqvist isn't fast either.

Kunitz just ****ing sucks, and should be happy with a 4th line spot. He shouldn't get one, because we have a multitude of players who have performed better than he has and make more sense to play over him, but if he HAD to dress, that's where I'd put him.

-edit- To clarify, I'd keep him as far away from our game-changers as possible. That means away from Sid/Hornqvist, keeping Hags/Kessel together, and I wouldn't saddle a rusty, just coming off of injury Geno with the corpse on skates that is Chris Kunitz. I also wouldn't give Kunitz a spot over Sundqvist, Cullen or Fehr--even though Fehr's been largely invisible. Better invisible than a huge detriment to whatever line you play on.

17 goals and 40 points says otherwise. 15 goals and 34 of those points were at ES. Hornqvist for example had 22 goals and 51 pts, however only 13 goals and 36 pts were at ES. Kessel who had 26 goals and 59 pts, only scored 22 goals and 42 pts at ES.

You can argue that Crosby props up those numbers - and to an extent he does. But we've been playing scrubs with Crosby for years who haven't produced anywhere close to what Kunitz has been able to do - and this year it was done without the benefit of cushy PP minutes/production to inflate them.

I'm I saying he's a top 6 winger? No. But he doesn't "suck". Do I want him gone? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a place here or that he can't play the game in a middle 6 role. Because he can. He doesn't have the wheels any more, and his hands aren't quite as good as they were 5 years ago. But he's still decent defensively, will still lay the body, and more importantly, he's still fairly smart with the puck. He'll make smart little passes to get the puck to Crosby or Hornqvist in positions where they can do something with it. I would absolutely try him with Malkin to see if that works for either of them. As was noted, Malkin plays a slower game, and that should probably benefit Kunitz a little more.

Something that should be telling (and make people here happy) is that even Sully realises that he's not a top line winger. I mean even with 11 forwards, he still only saw 14/15 minutes of icetime. Which means that the coaches have recognized that while he's not useless and doesn't suck, that it's not in the teams benefit to be playing him 16-18 minutes like we used to see.

On a side note, I ****ing hate having to stand up and defend Kunitz. That's like defending Lovejoy. So please don't make me do it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If Geno is ready before Rust or Bennett, I expect us to run with:

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel
Sheary-Malkin-Sundqvist
Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Fehr

When Rust comes back, I think Fehr slides up and Rust takes the 4th line RW spot. When Beau comes back, I could see him in for Sheary to be honest.

I agree with Rust bumping Sundqvist. But without another injury I don't think Bennett can get into the lineup - unless it's at the expense of Rust. Because he's not going to bump Sheary, Kuhnhackl or Fehr, and none of the others would be bumped for him.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I'd go with Rust/Bennett on Geno's wings too. Kuhn/Rust or Rust/Bennett are my picks for Geno's line when he comes back.

Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kuhn - Malkin - Rust
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Sundqvist - Cullen - Fehr/Bennett

I know it'll never happen, but I really like that lineup.

The ONLY way I can create four lines that I like is to scratch Kunitz. It's not going to happen, and it makes me sad.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
17 goals and 40 points says otherwise. 15 goals and 34 of those points were at ES. Hornqvist for example had 22 goals and 51 pts, however only 13 goals and 36 pts were at ES. Kessel who had 26 goals and 59 pts, only scored 22 goals and 42 pts at ES.

Hornqvist was bounced around the lines (including the oil and water Geno connection) before our coaches came to their senses too. He wasn't with Sid all year long.

You can argue that Crosby props up those numbers - and to an extent he does. But we've been playing scrubs with Crosby for years who haven't produced anywhere close to what Kunitz has been able to do - and this year it was done without the benefit of cushy PP minutes/production to inflate them.

We have? Maybe I'm short-circuiting here, but who else has been given a legit shot with Sid besides Dupes and Kunitz over the last half-decade?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We're close to having a lineup without any glaring issues. Lovejoy's gonna walk, we might finally move Kunitz, we could probably find a replacement for Cole (though I wouldn't say he's nearly as big a problem as the other two).

I can't even remember how long it's been since I could've said that about this team.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Based on what, exactly? Because he's not scoring a lot of goals? People really need to look at how a player is used to help set their expectations.

In general, Fehr has had a down year, with injuries. He looked weak on his skates and unwilling to engage when he first came back from his recent injury. He's been skating better, stronger, and engaging physically recently and playing a good possession game, and getting shots and opportunities.

For the year, he's started in the O zone less than 20% of the time, and in the D zone 47% of the time. That's a crazy stat. He's never been deployed in such a defensive role his entire career. Yet people expect the production of career years when he was deployed as more of a two way player. Entirely unrealistic.

I honestly expect Kuhn/Cullen/Fehr to stay together, because those are the players MS will trust most to take tough D zone draws, followed by Sid's line. But Fehr really isn't a problem right now.

I don't think he's a problem nor am I basing my assessment on raw production. I just think he's looked solidly like a fourth line player the vast majority of the year. I understand his circumstances and fully expect him to come back much stronger next year. I also acknowledge that he's been better, recently. But I really don't think he'd make a great linemate for Malkin unless you are putting somebody pretty dynamic on the other wing. This isn't prime Malkin. This is gonna be "I need help" Malkin.

I see how he makes some sense on paper. I seriously doubt it would work out that way on the ice.

It's probably not even worth worrying about, to be honest. Frankly, at this point, I'm fine with the team doing whatever with Malkin. So long as the team is winning.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I can't say I'm happy with how much of an impact Fehr's made (or the lack thereof), but I don't think he's been a hindrance to any line he's played on. He's just kinda... been there. Not good, but not bad either. /shrug

Hopefully we see a much better Fehr after an off-season to train/get healthy now that he's comfortable on this team. I think he's got another level or two he could reach.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
We're close to having a lineup without any glaring issues. Lovejoy's gonna walk, we might finally move Kunitz, we could probably find a replacement for Cole (though I wouldn't say he's nearly as big a problem as the other two).

I can't even remember how long it's been since I could've said that about this team.

They made the moves that I had hoped for (mostly) this year rather than this off-season.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
They made the moves that I had hoped for (mostly) this year rather than this off-season.

Yep. Some of them, big ones too. Getting rid of Scuderi was long overdue, and getting Daley back still boggles my mind. Firing Johnston/Agnew (Tocchet should've gone with 'em) was overdue as well. At best, they should've been gone last summer.

Still gotta let Lovejoy walk, which I'm assuming they do because of how tentative they are to play him. Still gotta dump Kunitz for literally anything. Wouldn't mind replacing Cole with someone who fills his role for likely less than half the price.

But overall, things are trending in the right direction.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Hopefully we see a much better Fehr after an off-season to train/get healthy now that he's comfortable on this team. I think he's got another level or two he could reach.

If he's still played in the same sort of defensive role he was played in this year and we still have a very good 4th line next year (which I expect), I doubt people will see what they're hoping to see out of Fehr next season.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I thought Fehr had one of his better games yesterday. He seemed to ramp up his speed game a bit and he was solid defensively. IMO it was his best effort in a while.

Hopefully we see him chip in some offense this playoffs. He can do that.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

I'm I saying he's a top 6 winger? No. But he doesn't "suck". Do I want him gone? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a place here or that he can't play the game in a middle 6 role. Because he can. He doesn't have the wheels any more, and his hands aren't quite as good as they were 5 years ago. But he's still decent defensively, will still lay the body, and more importantly, he's still fairly smart with the puck. He'll make smart little passes to get the puck to Crosby or Hornqvist in positions where they can do something with it. I would absolutely try him with Malkin to see if that works for either of them. As was noted, Malkin plays a slower game, and that should probably benefit Kunitz a little more.

Something that should be telling (and make people here happy) is that even Sully realises that he's not a top line winger. I mean even with 11 forwards, he still only saw 14/15 minutes of icetime. Which means that the coaches have recognized that while he's not useless and doesn't suck, that it's not in the teams benefit to be playing him 16-18 minutes like we used to see.

On a side note, I ****ing hate having to stand up and defend Kunitz. That's like defending Lovejoy. So please don't make me do it.

Like who? And I mean for more than 5 minutes.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
The Kunitz situation is moving in the right direction. His splitting time with Sheary would have been unthinkable under Bylsma or Johnston. It's not the immediate result most here want but I do think Sully sees Kunitz for what he is and will react accordingly.

PlinyElder*

While I understand why you'd want to put Malkin at 3rd C. There hasn't be any issues with the centers on any of the 4 lines. There's only been two weaknesses Fehr and Kunitz. Fehr and Cullen have chemistry so Fehr isn't totally worthless and can kill penalties. Do the right thing and just bench Kunitz and start rolling teams.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
The Kunitz situation is moving in the right direction. His splitting time with Sheary would have been unthinkable under Bylsma or Johnston. It's not the immediate result most here want but I do think Sully sees Kunitz for what he is and will react accordingly.

i could deal if they were actually splitting time but sheary only had like 3 shifts each with crosby and hornqvist in the first 2 periods and then disappeared in the third

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

I thought Kunitz was on the 3rd or 4th line at times with Johnston?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
tired of these pens org astroturfers that try to get people to believe these kunitz apologetics

please watch the last game, i don't know how anyone can see the last game and say he's doing this. i wish we could post every shift he takes and people could point out how he's actually doing great, if they really believe it

Kunitz has real issues with decision making and execution in the offensive zone. The rest of his game is top 6 quality though, he's genuinely one of our better possession drivers, he's good defensively and makes good decisions there, but I suspect he is also our number one offensive zone turnover/error player.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Kunitz has real issues with decision making and execution in the offensive zone. The rest of his game is top 6 quality though, he's genuinely one of our better possession drivers, he's good defensively and makes good decisions there, but I suspect he is also our number one offensive zone turnover/error player.

how do these two jive tho? maybe statistically he just benefits from playing with crosby and hornqvist at all times?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I thought Kunitz was on the 3rd or 4th line at times with Johnston?

He was on the 3rd line for a bit under Johnston and moved around the top 9. Johnston was relatively hard on Kunitz and gave Bennett a real chance with Crosby. Johnston had his numerous flaws, but he wasn't completely wrong.

Between him and Sullivan you might see the entire roster held accountable.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It's unlikely we sweep the Rags. I'd guess that if he really is that close, he'll return after we drop a game.

Tuesday would only be game 3. I'm not thinking sweep, just feels like, after so many off-days, the day they'd probably be aiming for for most of these guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad