Injury Report: Vol. 4 (Updates in First Post) | Geno Says He's a Game-Time Decision for Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I wonder if the plan is to hold Malkin out until we lose a game this series? Seems like it would make since if he is still not truly 100%, or at least at a comfortable place health-wise to play at an elite level.

There is no way they are doing that. If he's cleared to play, he plays. If he's not, he won't.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I wonder if the plan is to hold Malkin out until we lose a game this series? Seems like it would make since if he is still not truly 100%, or at least at a comfortable place health-wise to play at an elite level.

He'll play once he's good to go. Would you hold Fleury/Murray out until they lost a game? Not quite the same situation, sure, but the point remains, when elite players are healthy, you play them.

PlinyElder*

Anybody else think maybe Pittsburgh teams are over cautious regarding concussions? I know UPMC is like the best in the world for concussion research. I mean it's not a bad thing just frustrating. AB missed the biggest game of the year and now Flower has been out weeks. I just don't see other teams players out this long for concussions.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Anybody else think maybe Pittsburgh teams are over cautious regarding concussions? I know UPMC is like the best in the world for concussion research. I mean it's not a bad thing just frustrating. AB missed the biggest game of the year and now Flower has been out weeks. I just don't see other teams players out this long for concussions.
You can never be too sure, these aren't basic bone or muscle injuries. Concussions are serious no matter how severe and you need to be completely 100% before you even think of playing

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He'll play once he's good to go. Would you hold Fleury/Murray out until they lost a game? Not quite the same situation, sure, but the point remains, when elite players are healthy, you play them.

Actually, I'm not so sure they're not doing this. :dunno:

Partially because Zatkoff win's takes the immediate pressure on getting MAF back as soon as possible, but also because Fleury coming back is going to be an emotional boost for the Pens and possibly a setback for the Rags.

I wouldn't keep him out all series, but if MAF's 99% ready, I can see an argument for keeping him out until game 3.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

Partially because Zatkoff win's takes the immediate pressure on getting MAF back as soon as possible, but also because Fleury coming back is going to be an emotional boost for the Pens and possibly a setback for the Rags.

I wouldn't keep him out all series, but if MAF's 99% ready, I can see an argument for keeping him out until game 3.

Yeah, I'm just mean more in the sense that you're not going to keep out players who are 100% just because the team hasn't lost yet.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Boy... good news all around. It's only a matter of time. Hopefully we can get Game 2 in the books and in our favor. That would be HUGE.

PlinyElder*

You can never be too sure, these aren't basic bone or muscle injuries. Concussions are serious no matter how severe and you need to be completely 100% before you even think of playing

I totally get that and all for players safety. Maybe I'm just not paying attention to other teams much but is there any other team in the playoffs right now with a player out for a concussion? I mean we got two, we can't be the only team or city that gets them.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

not even close, this team has sent almost every major player back out on the ice with concussions

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Theoretically everyone is always a game time decision :sarcasm:

Sid, you playing tomorrow?

tumblr_n14l939AkW1qaebxno1_400.gif

Ask the coach.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
How about Rust?

I'd be cautious with Geno, especially considering it's the playoffs and it's not a secret what's hurt on him. Unless they can outfit him with one of those Bonds-style elbow protectors.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ

Team is flying overall, you don't want a bad game with Zatkoff to make them shaky. Look at game 1, you could see how tentative they played with Zatkoff in nets. You can rest assured that AV will make adjustments to take advantage of that passiveness in game 2.

If Fleury is ready, he needs to play and push the momentum further.

If Malkin is ready, he needs to be in the lineup in some form. At a minimum if he fixes the PP, we'd be golden-er.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I can't. We don't want to lose a game at all. If MAF is ready, they need to play him. Rusty MAF is still a better goalie than Zatkoff.

Going to MSG up 2-0 vs 1-1 is a BIG difference. I want MAF in net for game 2 if he's ready. I have no idea how you assess if he's 99% ready vs 100% though.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
how about rust?

I'd be cautious with geno, especially considering it's the playoffs and it's not a secret what's hurt on him. Unless they can outfit him with one of those bonds-style elbow protectors.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My guess for tomorrow is that Malkin plays, Fleury might play and Rust doesn't play. That seems like the logical conclusion from what has been said. I bet Malkin's line will be Sheary-Malkin-Bennett if Rust isn't good to go and Sheary-Malkin-Sundqvist if Bennett isn't ready to go.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
You have to think groin for Rust, right? I haven't heard a single peep if it's upper or lower body :laugh:

He took a couple hard low hits the last few games he played before going out, so that wouldn't be a huge surprise. Bet he doesn't come back til Game 3 at the earliest.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
you do NOT hold players back longer than necessary.

Not because of "eh just play em when they are healthy", but because there is going to be like 25% roster turnover when everyone is 100%. That's A LOT to deal with. If the Pens, by the grace of karma, are able to advance, they need to be firing on all cylinders no matter who is next. Work out the kinks ASAP.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Since the last one got away from me, I've gone ahead and started a new thread here

If a mod could lock this one? Please and thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad