Injury Report: Vol. 4 (Updates in 1st Post) | Game Day @ NJD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Columbus not getting Werenski back is every bit as big for them as no Letang is big for us. NOT saying Werenski = Letang. Just that he's really the guy who stirs the drink for them in terms of pushing the tempo from defense to offense.

I don't know, but I'd think PT and cortisone shots are part of the protocol the Pens have been using with Letang, and last week's 'set back' was related to PT.

Obviously, I don't know exactly what happened, but having seen family members go through the process, it's rest and then increasingly intense physical therapy; if the person does not get better and still cannot function without pain (and it's fairly debilitating pain), then they try shots usually spread out over a short period of time. When that doesn't work, then it's surgery. I suppose there may have been an option to surgery of sitting in a chair and not doing anything for the rest of his life, but that's not really an option. Docs (and their patients) for some reason don't like undertaking spinal/neck surgery unless they absolutely have to.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
So you would give up a first, jarry (could end up being better than Murray), sundqvist, and Dp for a couple months of shattenkirk? Lmao wow. Just wow. No words to describe the stupidity of this statement.

Pens can still repeat. Who cares who Washington has, they go straight ****** status once playoff starts and especially against the pens. One series win in 9 playoff series against the pens. I still like our chances

Why do some people pretend like last year's series couldn't have gone either way? It was great hockey the entire way through. Shattenkirk worried me just because it tipped the on paper matchup a little bit in the Caps' favor for this year. I don't see how that's not true.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Well, this sucks. We've had to face adversity before but this is something big. I trust we can spread the minutes around. Getting to the Second Round would be a win for me.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Typical sky is falling and trade whining. I knew once I saw the news that it'd be this way and yet I still looked.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Obviously, I don't know exactly what happened, but having seen family members go through the process, it's rest and then increasingly intense physical therapy; if the person does not get better and still cannot function without pain (and it's fairly debilitating pain), then they try shots usually spread out over a short period of time. When that doesn't work, then it's surgery. I suppose there may have been an option to surgery of sitting in a chair and not doing anything for the rest of his life, but that's not really an option. Docs (and their patients) for some reason don't like undertaking spinal/neck surgery unless they absolutely have to.

Sounds like what I've come to understand with Letang over the last 5 weeks. Rested. Then, you heard about his working out, etc. Then, 'setback', one would presume from slowly upping the intensity of the PT.

P.S.: The 'some reason' is the complications that can arise from surgery.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
So you would give up a first, jarry (could end up being better than Murray), sundqvist, and Dp for a couple months of shattenkirk? Lmao wow. Just wow. No words to describe the stupidity of this statement.

Pens can still repeat. Who cares who Washington has, they go straight ****** status once playoff starts and especially against the pens. One series win in 9 playoff series against the pens. I still like our chances

Yes. A goalie we dont need, a 4th line centre and a crap dman. For a stud dman. You wouldnt even Need to give up that much. Just sundqvist,DP 1st and 3rd

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So how is the old man to blame here?

1. Because he's not psychic.

2. Because he didn't know with certainty 5 weeks ago how this would play out with Letang.

3. Because he didn't trade the farm for Shatty not knowing what was happening with Letang.

4. Because he's a cheap SOB who prefers early bird specials to the full price dinner menu.

Good thing you aren't a GM then. Because not only is that bad asset management, it's borderline stupid.

Pretty charitable placement of the borderline on your part. :laugh:

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
So how is the old man to blame here?

He's been dragging down whichever line he's on for years now. And worse, Sully insists on putting him in the top 6 whenever possible....

Or are you talking about JR?? Some of us felt he should have made a move to get a top D even when we thought Letang would be back. Instead he brought in 37 year old Hainsey and the ghost of Mark Streit. Disregarding the injuries to Maata and Daley, he had to at least be aware of the possibility that Letang may not be back, or at least be back to full health for the playoffs. That should have made the need to acquire Shattenkirk almost an 'at all costs' necessity.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Pretty devastating news to Letang himself and our chances this postseason and going forward. All other available dmen need to step up in a massive way as already said. Get well soon Tanger and see you next season.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
People here really wouldnt do Sundqvist + DP and a 1st for shatty? Wow. People are acting like sundqvist is some blue chipper.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Sounds like what I've come to understand with Letang over the last 5 weeks. Rested. Then, you heard about his working out, etc. Then, 'setback', one would presume from slowly upping the intensity of the PT.

P.S.: The 'some reason' is the complications that can arise from surgery.

Yeah - I was being facetious. It's OK to sit at home and want some athlete to just go get it fixed. It's another thing to be sitting across from the doctor when he explains the complications to you and your family. Then trying all the other options first doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People here really wouldnt do Sundqvist + DP and a 1st for shatty? Wow. People are acting like sundqvist is some blue chipper.

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time of the deadline, Schultz was on fire and there was no indications that Letang would be out for the year. It made no sense for the Penguins to pay that much for Shattenkirk because he wasn't a huge need. They had Letang, Schultz and Hainsey on RD already, which is a solid RD group.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
He's been dragging down whichever line he's on for years now. And worse, Sully insists on putting him in the top 6 whenever possible....

Or are you talking about JR?? Some of us felt he should have made a move to get a top D even when we thought Letang would be back. Instead he brought in 37 year old Hainsey and the ghost of Mark Streit. Disregarding the injuries to Maata and Daley, he had to at least be aware of the possibility that Letang may not be back, or at least be back to full health for the playoffs. That should have made the need to acquire Shattenkirk almost an 'at all costs' necessity.

I'm not giving up Sprong, and I'm sure as **** not giving up Guentzel for Shattenkirk in an attempt to repeat, something no team has done in two decades, when the window is still open for another 4 or 5 years.

Selling the farm is something you do when you haven't won, not when you're just coming off a Championship year. It's nonsense.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Well I was told numerous times on here that Sundqvist was an untouchable prospect, because let's face it, 4th line centers are nearly impossible to find....

Gotta love it, right? Kid has potential, but I really don't understand why some people viewed him that way.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
1. Because he's not psychic.

2. Because he didn't know with certainty 5 weeks ago how this would play out with Letang.

3. Because he didn't trade the farm for Shatty not knowing what was happening with Letang.

4. Because he's a cheap SOB who prefers early bird specials to the full price dinner menu.

#JRknew :sarcasm:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Gotta love it, right? Kid has potential, but I really don't understand why some people viewed him that way.

Because at the trade deadline, he was a near-PPG 2-way center who can play in any sort of role in the AHL in his second pro season in NA. Sorry for thinking highly of him?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

If Letang was coming back for sure, Shatty was an 'at all costs' luxury.

If Letang wasn't coming back for sure, Shatty wasn't going to be the difference, not 'at all costs'.

Seems to me if you didn't know whether Letang would be back, a D rental isn't the 'at all costs' play.

I mean, if it were similar with Geno 5 weeks ago, where you just couldn't know what would happen, would you have rented a 'Shatty type' substitute at all costs? :help:

Sometimes, it is what it is, and you just hope your best players find a way against the odds.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Jarry and a 1st for Shattenkirk? :help:

You crazy Frenchies . . .

giphy.gif

We are crazy. I played a soccer semi-final AND the final while concussed. I wasn't able to look at my computer screen at work for two weeks. Been playing on a bum knee for 10+ years. My right shoulder is messed up.

I guess injuries run in the water here in Québec.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We are crazy. I played a soccer semi-final AND the final while concussed. I wasn't able to look at my computer screen at work for two weeks. Been playing on a bum knee for 10+ years. My right shoulder is messed up.

I guess injuries run in the water here in Québec.

Strange, I don't get why that would've led to a temporary issue looking at your computer screen.

Then again, I always figured you just exist in a permanently concussed state after all the self-inflicted chair shots.

:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad