Injury Report: Vol. 3 (Updates in First Post) | Flower Out with Concussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Shut down Dumo and Maatta until the playoffs. Get Rust back in whenever. Health is our friend.

That is the thing.

The Pens are in the playoffs. I could care less about whether it is official or not, there is a two one hundreths of one percent chance of missing now.

So we are in the same boat as the Caps in a way unless you care about seedings and home ice. In fact many argue we would have an easier path as the second wild card and might now have to face the caps or rangers at all.

So do you keep going balls to the wall, or lay off, get healthy, and 'work on things' for the playoffs, like the Caps supposedly are doing.

There is a danger in that of course. Once you let up on the intensity history shows that teams that do that often have a really hard time getting back when the games start being meaningful again.

But there is something to be said for it, especially with how banged up the Pens are right now.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Any clue on what is happening w/ Rust?

Extreme_Unction_LACMA_AC1994.171.5.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm reading that to mean Maatta and Rust are about on the same timeframe, but I probably shouldn't be doing that. I think Maatta will be back in about 2 weeks and Rust about a week.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
« 04.01.16 | Practice @ CEC »

Thank goodness on Dumo, I was concerned he could be longer term with a concussion or something.

I wonder what it will take to push LJ out of the lineup again, my concern is nothing will through the playoffs.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sullivan HATES doing injury updates. It's so annoying how vague he is. Someone asked him the other day if Geno skating meant anything to change the timeline or if he was still at 6-8 weeks. Sullivan goes "is that the timeline he's on?"

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sullivan HATES doing injury updates. It's so annoying how vague he is. Someone asked him the other day if Geno skating meant anything to change the timeline or if he was still at 6-8 weeks. Sullivan goes "is that the timeline he's on?"

As frustrating as it is for us, maybe that mindset of treating players who aren't available as an afterthought is part of what's helping this team focus on the here and now, and thrive rather than tread water in spite of injuries.

Injured players come back when they come back. We're not waiting for the cavalry, we work with what we have.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
As frustrating as it is for us, maybe that mindset of treating players who aren't available as an afterthought is part of what's helping this team focus on the here and now, and thrive rather than tread water in spite of injuries.

Injured players come back when they come back. We're not waiting for the cavalry, we work with what we have.

That's definitely a good mindset as a coach, but really frustrating as a fan :laugh:

If they keep winning, I can handle being annoyed about injury timelines.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
That is the thing.

The Pens are in the playoffs. I could care less about whether it is official or not, there is a two one hundreths of one percent chance of missing now.

So we are in the same boat as the Caps in a way unless you care about seedings and home ice. In fact many argue we would have an easier path as the second wild card and might now have to face the caps or rangers at all.

So do you keep going balls to the wall, or lay off, get healthy, and 'work on things' for the playoffs, like the Caps supposedly are doing.

There is a danger in that of course. Once you let up on the intensity history shows that teams that do that often have a really hard time getting back when the games start being meaningful again.

But there is something to be said for it, especially with how banged up the Pens are right now.

I don't think you change your play style at all but the coaching staff should start managing minute better. Give more time to the bottom 6 and as defensemen start getting healthy keep rotating guys through the lineup. We might need all of them over the next two months.

The play style is driven by the bottom 6 guys anyway so it won't hurt playstyle to shift minutes a bit. Get Letang a rest, ease Maatta and Dumo back into it, and deal with any nagging injuries now.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015

Thats honestly an awesome attitude though. He has no control over injuries or when players come back, so he just doesn't concern himself with it. His WB/S guys are driving the identity of this team anyway, and we've got a few extra to spare. Losing Wilson for the season wasn't even a blip on the radar. Just insert Sheary and keep going.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

At some point, coaches are going to learn that they are creating their own headaches. If they just answered the question honestly the first time, it'd never come up again.
Example:

"Evgeni Malkin broke his wrist last night. If all goes according to plan, he'll be back in 6-8 weeks. Anytime there's a change in his status or a benchmark in his rehab is reached, I'll update you. I will not be addressing the situation before then"

"Evgeni Malkin started skating this week. This has no impact on his possible return. The doctor have been doing regular X-rays and determined yesterday that the injury had healed to the point where he can resume normal skating activities. This will allow him to be as close to in-shape as possible when he heals, but there is no way to accelerate an injury like this. As soon as there is an update, change in status, or benchmark reached, I'll let you know. I will not be addressing the situation before that."

Takes less than a minute. 0 questions.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
At some point, coaches are going to learn that they are creating their own headaches. If they just answered the question honestly the first time, it'd never come up again.
Example:

"Evgeni Malkin broke his wrist last night. If all goes according to plan, he'll be back in 6-8 weeks. Anytime there's a change in his status or a benchmark in his rehab is reached, I'll update you. I will not be addressing the situation before then"

"Evgeni Malkin started skating this week. This has no impact on his possible return. The doctor have been doing regular X-rays and determined yesterday that the injury had healed to the point where he can resume normal skating activities. This will allow him to be as close to in-shape as possible when he heals, but there is no way to accelerate an injury like this. As soon as there is an update, change in status, or benchmark reached, I'll let you know. I will not be addressing the situation before that."

Takes less than a minute. 0 questions.

Players target the injured area, or so goes the thought behind the vagueness. So coaches tell as little as possible,

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Players target the injured area, or so goes the thought behind the vagueness. So coaches tell as little as possible,

Right. Which is idiotic. Everyone has 150 angles of every injury teams know

Besides, Sid gets speared and cross checked regardless. Vagueness is like a goon. Not going to protect players from psychopaths.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Right. Which is idiotic. Everyone has 150 angles of every injury teams know

Besides, Sid gets speared and cross checked regardless. Vagueness is like a goon. Not going to protect players from psychopaths.

Exactly... when some on ice moron hears that Malkin has an upper body injury, that just means he whacks at everything above the waist until he finds the problem area... Hefty fines and suspensions protect players, not stupid meaningless NHL logic. I swear sometimes it seems you have to have an IQ under 80 to work in that league, or at least act like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad