Injury Report: Vol. 3 (Updates in First Post) | Crosby to Miss ASG, Out "About A Week"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
^That's interesting, Eli Cash.

I wondered at first if they are just trying to extend Rinaldo's suspension - ASG-break means that Letang won't skate for a week, and that way he can recover and Rinaldo gets a few games more.

But that is just pretty far-fetched, and probably mostly me trying to make this seem less bad.

Why would the Pens give a carp if Rinaldo is suspended at this point? If anything the Flyers are probably better off with him out of the lineup...

I'd love it if there was some way that the team whose player was injured could somehow be compensated but unless they're in a playoff series against each other, the player who caused the injury maybe gets suspended and some other team possibly benefits from that...

Hmm, what if teams got cap space or even a pick from the team that caused the injury -- if Letang is out for a few weeks you transfer 100K in cap space / week from the Flyers to the Pens. If he's out longer maybe the Pens get a Flyers' pick that is proportional to the value of the player who was injured / the duration of the injury... Knock Crosby out for the rest of the season and that's going to cost you your first rounder...

Do it Buttman!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's like a recurring nightmare. It's beyond ridiculous that we have these injuries to key guys EVERY SINGLE SEASON. And it's usually not just a minor injury that they miss a game or two. No, with our key players it's always month-long injuries.

Must be nice for other teams' fans to be able to watch their team play with their full roster all the time. :shakehead

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Why didn't they just sit Geno when he first noticed that something was wrong?

After hearing my uncle's crazy stories about the injuries that players play through I'm fairly certain that the overwhelming majority are playing with something almost all the time. A lot of guys (not just old vets) have things like chronic back pain that isn't tied to a specific injury or hit, and that they might not even consider to be an "injury" but rather their standard operating conditions.

Nobody's 100%, they're playing with a lot more pain and injuries than we're aware of. And they're adamant about playing even when they should sit.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Oh Geno's ice time went down. It must be because Johnston LOVES Sutter more than Geno. Oh, Geno has been playing through an injury. I did notice Geno's ice time has been going down. That makes sense (forgets all of the *****ing about the coach disrespecting Geno due to his lowered ice time).

BobCole

May 21, 2014
It's like a recurring nightmare. It's beyond ridiculous that we have these injuries to key guys EVERY SINGLE SEASON. And it's usually not just a minor injury that they miss a game or two. No, with our key players it's always month-long injuries.

Must be nice for other teams' fans to be able to watch their team play with their full roster all the time. :shakehead

This x 1000.

Every season, star player(s), long-term injuries. It's nauseating.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
If Letang is done, the season's over. There's no way they would get out of the first round without Letang or Maatta.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
If Letang is done, the season's over. There's no way they would get out of the first round without Letang or Maatta.

Usually I'm strongly opposed to writing the team off at virtually any point of the season. But this season, I'm with you.

If Letang, Maatta and Dupuis are out for the season, it's pretty safe to say that this just isn't our year. If I'm JR, I might throw in the towel on this season and try to reload for the future. That means getting assets in return for some of our pending UFAs (Martin?), and generally stocking up with any assets that will help us next season and beyond, even if it means we ice a worse roster this year on March 3rd than we do on March 2nd.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Usually I'm strongly opposed to writing the team off at virtually any point of the season. But this season, I'm with you. If Letang, Maatta and Dupuis are out for the season, it's pretty safe to say that this just isn't our year. I'd be trying to bone up for the next few years and throw in the towel on this season. That means getting assets in return for some of our pending UFAs (Martin?), and stocking up with any assets that will help us next season and beyond, even if it means we ice a worse roster this year on March 3rd than we do on March 2nd.

Dupuis being out was a HUGE blessing in disguise. Perron does not exist without Dupuis being hurt. I feel bad for Dupes and we could use him in a non cap world, but we are better off near and long term with Perron.

I agree with the rest but I find it hard to believe any GM of the Penguins would write off a season when we are in playoff contention. I doubt Letang is done for the year anyway.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Dupuis being out was a HUGE blessing in disguise. Perron does not exist without Dupuis being hurt. I feel bad for Dupes and we could use him in a non cap world, but we are better off near and long term with Perron.

Agreed. But I still think our roster is too weak to win this season if all of Dupes, Letang and Maatta are out for the season. Obviously we don't know the situation w/ Letang yet.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Oh Geno's ice time went down. It must be because Johnston LOVES Sutter more than Geno. Oh, Geno has been playing through an injury. I did notice Geno's ice time has been going down. That makes sense (forgets all of the *****ing about the coach disrespecting Geno due to his lowered ice time).
You're totally right. Every poster that has made PGT's unbearable with -'s about Sutter/Malkin ice-time comparisons should feel shame, and learn that they don't know more about what's going on with the players than Mike Johnston.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
You're totally right. Every poster that has made PGT's unbearable with -'s about Sutter/Malkin ice-time comparisons should feel shame, and learn that they don't know more about what's going on with the players than Mike Johnston.

This. The armchair coaches on this forum are nauseating. It's gotten to the point that I just add all of these guys to my Ignore List. I have no problem with dissent, and half of the reason I'm here is to read critique/analysis of the game and our team, but the constant stream of BS here is way too much. It seems that a good number of the people here are here purely to ***** and moan. They hate everything: ownership, management, coaching, and the players. I don't know why these people bother. And, as you point out, most of the time their complaints can be traced back to having incomplete or false information...or, subjectively, piss poor analysis and opinions about the game :laugh:

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
The impending announcement thing seems a little overstated. "We will have a statement on that at some point" isn't exactly like holding a presser tho the guy makes it sound one in the same.

We all know he has a concussion and we all they heal at vastly different rates and timeframes. He will probably work out and skate, when he feels back to normal he will play. Nobody knows if it will be a day or a month.

PS **** Rinaldo

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009

Amen

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Since Tanger's junior days, he has had a history of migraines. Since his stroke of last year, have the migraines stopped. Has anyone heard anything about this????

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Problem is even when seemingly healthy, Sutter's TOI is pretty much on par with a player in Geno who's infinitely better.

Geno's been "hurt" for a couple of weeks. Fine. But let's not pretend this is a new phenomenon.

Fact that Geno had to play on Sutter's wing for a while tells us that Sutter is valued as much as Geno is, which is wrong.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
let's face it, the only player whose ice time we should be concerned with is SIMON DESPRES, Master of the Universe.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Isn't it obvious?

Craig Adams drank Jobu's Rum.

nxEbs80.png

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Problem is even when seemingly healthy, Sutter's TOI is pretty much on par with a player in Geno who's infinitely better.

Geno's been "hurt" for a couple of weeks. Fine. But let's not pretend this is a new phenomenon.

Fact that Geno had to play on Sutter's wing for a while tells us that Sutter is valued as much as Geno is, which is wrong.

Geno was playing over 20+min a night for close to a month prior to the past 10+ games, when we now found out he's been reportedly hurt for a while. We had many people on here complaining that he was playing too much. All I am suggesting is that people need to take a broader approach before jumping to conclusions.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Why didn't they just sit Geno when he first noticed that something was wrong?

Why do athletes try to avoid having concussions diagnosed? For the same reason-- they have incentives (financial, emotional, etc.) to play through injury and we, as consumers, support it.

I don't know many players that wouldn't want to play through an injury if they thought they could.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Huge injuries like this year after year is really starting to test my patience as a fan.

Nobody's to blame, but **** man. I want to cheer for a team where there's a slight chance that most of the best players will be healthy. That sure as hell isn't happening here.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Crosby to miss All-Star Game and next week's game against the Jets now, too. Lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad