Injury Report: Vol. 3 (Updates in First Post) | Crosby to Miss ASG, Out "About A Week"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My sister just got her PhD at U Nebraska in neuroscience, where much of the cutting-edge research on concussions and sports is going on, especially since they're doing a lot of work for college ball.

The truth is, she says, that most players test intentionally low on their baseline these days so that minor concussions go undiagnosed. It's not the tests that are wrong. It's that the players know how to game them and there's no incentive not to (besides permanent brain injury). Really, the problem isn't tests. It's the sports industry, ESPECIALLY college football.

Hard to sympathize with anyone that has that sort of mentality.

BlackGoldGreen

Jul 7, 2006
California
Unbelievable that Letang was at practice and maybe would've played tonight. When are the Penguins gonna learn how to treat these injuries? They should be used to by now and it's crazy they didn't learn their lesson with Crosby's drama

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How in the blue **** is he a game time decision and practicing/skating if he has a concussion and neck injury? What the hell is wrong with this team? Moronic team doctors, the worst.

What a joke of a team with their medical staff hiring.

Letang has had a rough two seasons so far. Knee injury, infected elbow, stroke, and now a concussion and neck injury. Then Maatta with his shoulder injuries and surgeries, the tumor...mumps, poor kid.

Great opportunity for Harrington and Pouliot though.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't think the Pens handled any part of this wrong. He skated at practice which is fine and he didn't play. Being out indefinitely could mean a day, a weak, 6 months or anything really. It means nothing. It's just too early to tell how long his symptoms, if any, will last.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I don't think the Pens handled any part of this wrong. He skated at practice which is fine and he didn't play. Being out indefinitely could mean a day, a weak, 6 months or anything really. It means nothing. It's just too early to tell how long his symptoms, if any, will last.

Exactly. Long break and possible sympathy play on a suspension decision. Why not?

BlackGoldGreen

Jul 7, 2006
California

If he's got a concussion, he shouldn't be out there skating the next day, especially given his history of concussions and migranes

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
If he's got a concussion, he shouldn't be out there skating the next day, especially given his history of concussions and migranes

He shouldn't be doing any contact stuff and he wasn't. I don't see the issue with skating. I don't think it's uncommon for players dealing with a concussion to skate.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Internet doctors are always fun, but the Penguins medical staff probably doesn't have the trust of too many guys here.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Internet doctors are always fun, but the Penguins medical staff probably doesn't have the trust of too many guys here.

There are actually a lot of medical professionals on this message board. Oh wait, did you think this place was a bunch of students or kids that have no purpose of working towards a career or something?

Let's look at the facts to which would make us assume the medical staff is incompetent.

- Crosby's "neck" lump, was it mumps? No totally not, oh wait...it was.
- Letang's injury, concussion testing, hey he had symptoms but he's ok, let's let him practice, oh wait, a neck injury appears, suddenly so do concussion symptoms and they almost allowed the guy to play as a game time decision.

These are just the recent ones.

They've done good as well with detecting Dupuis' clot and thank god for that, same for handling Olli's tumor and monitoring it the entire time before we as fans were finally made aware of it. But some stuff, it's head scratch-er material.

So save the "we're just a bunch of arm chair whatever's" stuff. I hate that crap.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He shouldn't be doing any contact stuff and he wasn't. I don't see the issue with skating. I don't think it's uncommon for players dealing with a concussion to skate.

Symptoms are not always the same, but the spins and what not, I'm a little concerned about him being cleared to skate. I wonder if they need to adjust their baseline testing and testing in general. He should have never been in the position to decide to play or not.

Imagine if he played and took a hit and the symptoms were made worse and he's out longer and more importantly, his quality of life is affected.

In most cases, when a guy is tested, they find out. Not sure why they couldn't with Kris until after the Hawks game.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
the penguins medical staff has goofed a few times but letting letang skate this morning for the optional practice was not one of them. shrug. yeah they could have been more cautious but under the circumstances its understandable.

i'm curious about malkin's injury. i remember him going to the dressing room for a bit last night but i don't remember what caused the injury (and what the subsequent injury might be). does anyone remember?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
the penguins medical staff has goofed a few times but letting letang skate this morning for the optional practice was not one of them. shrug. yeah they could have been more cautious but under the circumstances its understandable.

i'm curious about malkin's injury. i remember him going to the dressing room for a bit last night but i don't remember what caused the injury (and what the subsequent injury might be). does anyone remember?

Ok let's say the skate was whatever.

Let's not forget this though...

Letang was a game time decision.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Ok let's say the skate was whatever.

Let's not forget this though...

Letang was a game time decision.

Best not to make too much of that. A lot of times guys are listed as such even when it is somewhat obvious they have no intention of dressing. Whether that's to keep the other team from forming a game plan or what not who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad