Injury Report: Vol. 3 (Updates in 1st Post) | Murray Probable Starter @ Sens; Rust 'Close' to Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I've moved one re-call notice to the All-Purpose thread and deleted another one ... these roster moves still leave us with 13F/7D per the Pens website when existing injuries are taken in to account. So, not really injury related, at least at this time.

Evaluating the depth, perhaps? :dunno:

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
GCS is what Vancouver would've looked like if there was a third Sedin. These guys have chemistry, skill, and the ability to dominate in spades. You keep that line together until somebody demonstrates they can do something about it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Nobody says "Guentzel, you have to be the net front presence on this line."

The GCS line works so well because they're all everywhere all the time, and they're all a threat from anywhere--in close, behind the net, in the slot, etc.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Nobody says "Guentzel, you have to be the net front presence on this line."

The GCS line works so well because they're all everywhere all the time, and they're all a threat from anywhere--in close, behind the net, in the slot, etc.
hes there way more than anyone one else....and like I said before you don't want the other guy's being it ether.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Crosby just net-front-presenced his way to a natural hat trick - Guentzel can top bar down from a inch outside the crease - Sheary squeezes and angles his way on bigger players as good as anyone - I am okay with either of these guys going out front and edge-working their way to sublime offense.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not every line needs a puck retriever, net front guy, a scorer, and a passer. That's not how it works. Who was the the net front guy on HBK? Why were they so good? Sometimes a line just works on different styles. This one is puck possession and speed. It works. It doesn't need a net front guy albeit Sid/Jake are insanely good at deflections.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
hes there way more than anyone one else....and like I said before you don't want the other guy's being it ether.

So what? You want Sullivan to take away a successful tendency of an extremely effective player? :laugh:

Nobody wants the guy to get hurt, but if he's successful and in turn this team is successful because of the knack for Jake to go to the front of the net, you don't ask him to stop doing that just in case he gets injured.

Not every line needs to be made up of a sniper, playmaker and a pure net-front guy imo.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Not every line needs a puck retriever, net front guy, a scorer, and a passer. That's not how it works. Who was the the net front guy on HBK? Why were they so good? Sometimes a line just works on different styles. This one is puck possession and speed. It works. It doesn't need a net front guy albeit Sid/Jake are insanely good at deflections.

Yeah, you can get your net front presence without having a guy that can/is willing to just plant himself right in front of the net regularly. That line gets enough of a presence in front from Crosby and Guentzel because they are constantly moving and are smart enough with the vision/timing about when they cross through the crease area to screen the goaltender/deflect pucks in tight. The constant player/puck movement is enough to make things hard on the goalie and create opportunities and scoring lanes.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Very true however there were times when HBK had trouble getting pucks because there was no board battler. I mean, they did so much other stuff well that it made up for it but I do indeed remember several times wishing that HBK had some more grit to its game.

SCG is in the same mold. What I do like about S-G is that neither of them really shy away from battle areas. Sheary was awesome last year at slipping out of those battles with the puck. Guentzel is the same way. My potential issue is that they tend to take some abuse and they are smaller-ish guys. But their speed, positioning, skill, and mindset allow them to make up for a lack of net front guy. They don't have to stick their head in the hornet nest. They will simply position themselves around it.

When Guentzel first came up, he went to the net, stood in front, and waited for the pass. I loved that. It was refreshing to see for a change.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
My money's on the latter, although Sestito was face down in the corner Sunday afternoon, IIRC.

Yeah he did go into the boards awkwardly against the Panthers, so it could be a combination of both. I'm guessing just banged up enough that it's enough of an excuse to bring someone else up for his spot.

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
Crosby just net-front-presenced his way to a natural hat trick - Guentzel can top bar down from a inch outside the crease - Sheary squeezes and angles his way on bigger players as good as anyone - I am okay with either of these guys going out front and edge-working their way to sublime offense.

None of these guys park themselves in the front either. They also drift in and out before the defense puts much abuse on them, and often times defense loses track of who it will be.

Hornqvist plops himself in front, the defense know he won't move, everyone knows this, and the refs let's the defense go to town on him.

One second Sheary night be on the left side of the net, defender draws to him and the next thing you know, pucks on the right side and Guentzel or even Crosby is all alone 6 feet on the other side.

There's no man to man coverage on these guys, which makes it especially helpful for all of them to slip through the defensive cracks.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
if he's not called on to be the guy that always goes to the net...then yes!

That's not a thing he's being called to do. That's just how he plays the game. It's not like he will move to Geno's line and told to just hang out on the perimeter. He's an effective player because of his skill, hockey sense, and equally importantly because of his battle level relative to his size. That isn't going to change no matter what line he is on.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Next game Sheary? then Hornqvist against the Isles? then Schultz and Cullen against Flyers, etc. We know the drill, but it's always "accidents".

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At least rust will be back soon. I think sheary-Crosby-rust reunited can be pretty good until guentzel gets back

That combo didn't look so hot when they were together the last time, but it's certainly better than the alternative with useless #14 on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad