Injury Report: Vol. 3 (Updates in 1st Post) | Murray Probable Starter @ Sens; Rust 'Close' to Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
At least rust will be back soon. I think sheary-Crosby-rust reunited can be pretty good until guentzel gets back

Sheary-Crosby-Rust is a terrible line.

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist is an excellent line. It's every bit as effective as the line with Guentzel. It's just not as pretty, so the board isn't in love with it.

It's also really the only good landing spot for Hornqvist. He sucks with Malkin and too slow to be on the same line as Bonino.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Rust works good with Geno but he looked really out of place with Sid. Assuming Jake is out for the foreseeable future, Hornqvist would be the logical choice. Alas Sully sees something in Kunitz that literally no one else does.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sheary-Crosby-Rust is a terrible line.

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist is an excellent line. It's every bit as effective as the line with Guentzel. It's just not as pretty, so the board isn't in love with it.

It's also really the only good landing spot for Hornqvist. He sucks with Malkin and too slow to be on the same line as Bonino.

Most of this makes sense. Too bad nothing Sullivan's done this year suggests there's even a 1% chance of it happening. The coach has done pre-pubescent Romanian gymnast style contortions to avoid putting Horny on Sid's line.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Guentzel being hurt is a disaster. Even worse is that we play a condensed schedule this week, so even if his recovery is relatively quick he might miss a decent chunk of games because of it.

Just unreal the luck we have with injuries. Maybe next year we'll just come out and have the least man games lost for once. I'd kill to see one full regular season of a healthy Pens team. Imagine the damage Sid and Geno would do with 82 games of them + Guentzel + Sheary + Kessel/Tanger.

A man can dream.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Jake looked really rough, wishing him all the best in his recovery.

Incredibly down about Sid winning anything if Kunitz stays up on his line.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Who is the next forward in line to play?

I'm assuming Archibald?

Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Cullen - Kessel
Wilson - Bonino - Rowney
Kuhnhackl - Sundqvist - Archibald

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
You had to know the Guentzel injury was coming. I've had an uneasy feeling that he'd be getting hurt for a while. We just have that kind of awful injury luck.

That was one of the worst looking concussions I've seen in a while. It kind of reminded me of Ron Francis late in his career with Carolina when he was staggering around the ice after a concussion. Scary stuff.

Anyway, hopefully Jake has one of those weird concussions that looks horrible but symptoms go away fast. Seems like that's the best we can hope for at this point.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hopefully Guentzel isn't out for long. Absolutely sucks that he got hurt. He, and that line, were absolutely on fire right now.

I also hope we don't wake up to the news that Crosby also has a concussion. Knowing this club, I'm pretty much expecting that to be the case.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm pretty bummed. Jake was playing great hockey. I really hope he is not out too long that he misses parts of the playoffs.

Has a couple weeks to recover if needed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The worst part about the Guentzel thing is that it could have been avoidable if Crosby didn't attempt that pass to him.

Who is the next forward in line to play?

I'm assuming Archibald?

Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Cullen - Kessel
Wilson - Bonino - Rowney
Kuhnhackl - Sundqvist - Archibald

I hope Rust is back and they send Sundqvist back, Oskar is not ready, let him stay in the AHL the rest of the season. I'd go with...

Sheary, Crosby, Hornqvist
Kunitz, Cullen, Kessel
Wilson, Bonino, Rust
Kuhnhackl, Rowney, Archibald

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Head coaches need to be held partially accountable for the bad hits their players throw...that would sort out these problems real fast.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I thought after the Manning hit and several other times where Jake was checked into posts and stuff where he got right back up, i thought to myself kid is tough as nails which he is.
You just can't prepare yourself for the kind of hit he took last night. Unless you wanna play are really scared game.
When Sid's pass was tipped by the BUF player in the OZ Jake, in the NZ, was looking back down the inside of the rink and swiveled his head to look down the boards side and WHAM! Zero time to react to it.
If Sid gets the pass through, Jake probably has those short milliseconds where he's focused up ice to see Risto coming but he was looking back the entire time and Risto wasn't stopping for anything.

Mentioned this in the PGT but best case, he's out 9 days like Schultz was who looked woozy after the Bufyuglien hit. Horny was out 12. If the kid has issues, it obviously could be alot longer. Just hope for the best. As we always do here.

Last edited:

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

The QMJHL season is over...so why can't the Pens bring up Sprong to help with all these injuries?

Or Sprong has to play through the QMJHL playoffs as well?

PascalthePenguin

Mar 22, 2017
Fingers crossed for Guentzel. The guentzel-crosby-sheary line was unstoppable. I'm surprised they didn't get 3 points a night since they started playing together. Best line I have seen for the Pens for years.

Guentzel could be okay...theres a slight chance. He doesn't have a history of them.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
That hit was brutal, and it showed on Guentzel's face afterwards. Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he's shut down for at least a couple of months for how bad that looked. He's still a young lad with a long career (and life) ahead of him. No sense in rushing him back...

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
We are going to go into the playoffs with only Sid, Kessel, Cole, and one of MM/MAF. And the rest AHL call ups...

Jesus Christ this injury curse is horrid this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad