Player Discussion: Vladislav Namestnikov

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
vladdy is not moving till the stamkos deal get signed! but i don't think vladdy is moving period. vladdy will be the 3rd line center next year on this team flipper goes to wing.

Flip is bad at playing wing, and there's no way Vlad takes the center spot from Flip when Flip is 100x the player Vlad is.
And the depth is good, yes, but having Vlad as depth player, like giving him 5-10 games a year at center, is just wasting his talents and stunting his growth. We have enough depth in the Ahl next year.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Flip is a big part of this franchise now, we are not going to move him to "make room" for unproven talent or an inexperience forward with no track record in the NHL. Johnson for all we know can come back to earth next season and just be our 3C, I know that sounds crazy but You just don't know. Flip will most likely play out his entire contract, may even get extended but that is when we start looking if he is not the best option anymore. It's better to have guys in you arsenal that have a proven track record and experience with no signs of regress, than to go rolling with the dice.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Flip is a big part of this franchise now, we are not going to move him to "make room" for unproven talent or an inexperience forward with no track record in the NHL. Johnson for all we know can come back to earth next season and just be our 3C, I know that sounds crazy but You just don't know. Flip will most likely play out his entire contract, may even get extended but that is when we start looking if he is not the best option anymore. It's better to have guys in you arsenal that have a proven track record and experience with no signs of regress, than to go rolling with the dice.

Yeah, and that's particularly true if we have some playoff success. You don't shake up a winning recipe if you can avoid it.

If we get to a point where cap concerns make it unavoidable, then fine. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. But there's no reason to make those moves preemptively.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, and that's particularly true if we have some playoff success. You don't shake up a winning recipe if you can avoid it.

If we get to a point where cap concerns make it unavoidable, then fine. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. But there's no reason to make those moves preemptively.

I understand people here like to get into cap discussion, yeah I find it interesting also, but I feel these players should be given a little more respect from the fans, you just don't move them for the convenience of young talent or to just make cap room. Yeah sure, if a player is not working out well or not fitting in (Connolly/Purcell)) or demands a trade (*cough* MSL *cough*) then that's when you make the room for other talent. I actually think Carle would be the first to go to make cap room but also have doubts about that even happening. I think Yzerman and Coop still believe in Carle.

As per Flip, he is on pace for over 50 points this season, he has not been as productive as last season but he has been doing more babysitting this season on the 3rd line, so he has been held back a little this season by Coop. PP also being up and down this season has not served any justice to the entire top 6's production outside of TKO.

I think people need to realize is that 50 points is not only good for 2nd line players expectations these days, but for most teams in the league now it is good for top line player expectations in this kind of league today. So if you have a 3C hitting around 50 points, that is some serious sick depth right there. Why would we want to move that in the next year or two?

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
If Vladdy ever comes close to the player Fil is, I'll be happy. Filpulla is just a great all around hockey player.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Where do you see that? Namestnikov is heavily sheltered while Filppula plays a shut down role while producing 50+ points. Vlad on a good year next season might hit 30-40. Unless it's a top prospect I don't see a point in developing him for the future when we're in a win-now mode. A center depth of Stamkos-Johnson-Filppula is as good as anyone elses in the league, not so much if you replace him with Namestnikov.

I didn't mean he is as good as Filppula is now but that if Filppula was traded between now and 2017, Namestnikov is still a good option to take over at 3rd C

Agree with you on the Center Depth though and if i'm trying to predict what will happen it would be Namestnikov on Filppula's wing until Fil's contract expires and then Namestnikov takes over as 3rd C

If that is the scenario I don't see how Killorn can also fit past 2017, because by then we'd have 8 forwards making 'top 6' money

Last edited:

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I would move Filp... but just not yet, maybe in a couple of seasons.

When the time is right and the deal is right and names is ready

Than I wouldn't hessitate.

And names does need to be equal to Flip just needs to be on his way there.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

I would agree here we don't need to do anything till the cap starts to hurt us lets see what the next stamkos contract will be ? maybe he takes 8.5 or 9 per year a little less then we think.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Well, now I'm really glad we didn't sedn Vladdy down, we're going to need all the expereince we can get.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
flip breaks line better vladdy is more callahan spot closer to net plays best on pp imho

biggest issue is everyone in the building knows flipper is not going to shoot the puck on the power play. I see your points flipper does break in good but it's time to make some major changes on this power play before the playoffs. I'd try vladdy at center and callahan and stamkos on the wings. some teams just don't know enough about vladdy right now to know what he is going to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad