Player Discussion: Vladislav Namestnikov

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
It's good he's getting top minutes and doing well, just wish we had a spot for him. Paquette seems to have regressed a bit from his earlier play. Still a thorn in the side of other teams and a hound but hasn't been that impressive.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
It's good he's getting top minutes and doing well, just wish we had a spot for him. Paquette seems to have regressed a bit from his earlier play. Still a thorn in the side of other teams and a hound but hasn't been that impressive.

Paquette was out there with Callahan and Flip on Crosby and Kunitz last game. They did a pretty good job shutting them down I thought.

Paquette was doing remarkably well when we had the Corsi Line going of Paquette/Namestnikov/Drouin for the limited time that they played together.

As a 3rd / 4th Line kid, he's an asset worth keeping around though. Takes f/o. Can play wing or Center. Will eat glass if you need him to.

Vladdy is not a 3rd/4th liner. He's going to be a 2C in the NHL. With Stamkos and TJ(basically our 1C at this point), he really has no space in the NHL Lineup. While he could be a 3C right now, it's a disservice to make him play that role for his development as a player. 2C with potential 1C part time(injuries) is where Vladdy can play.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Paquette was out there with Callahan and Flip on Crosby and Kunitz last game. They did a pretty good job shutting them down I thought.

Paquette was doing remarkably well when we had the Corsi Line going of Paquette/Namestnikov/Drouin for the limited time that they played together.

As a 3rd / 4th Line kid, he's an asset worth keeping around though. Takes f/o. Can play wing or Center. Will eat glass if you need him to.

Vladdy is not a 3rd/4th liner. He's going to be a 2C in the NHL. With Stamkos and TJ(basically our 1C at this point), he really has no space in the NHL Lineup. While he could be a 3C right now, it's a disservice to make him play that role for his development as a player. 2C with potential 1C part time(injuries) is where Vladdy can play.

I wouldn't have a problem playing him at 3C. We've seen Johnson develop there over about half a season. My issue is that we can't play him at C at all, and I don't really want to bring a kid to the NHL and have him play a bottom-six winger if our ultimate goal is to have him be a top-six center.

Honestly, I'm still not sold that Vladdy is our future 2C. Johnson and Stamkos seem to have that nailed down. More than that, I think don't think we're moving Flip any time soon. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him get another contract with the team. Despite our youth at present, I think Yzerman values experience--it's the thing we forget about the "Detroit model" we hear so much about. He came up in a system that sticks with its core.

I know how high a lot of us are on Vladdy, and I am too. He has a bit of Nik Ehlers in him (or vice versa). But I don't know if his future is in TB.

For now though, I love having him as a #1C in Syracuse. Wouldn't even mind keeping him there next year if it wouldn't be cruel and unusual punishment by that point.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

Pretty sure it was Killorn/Filp/Cally not Paquette/Filp/Cally.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I wouldn't have a problem playing him at 3C. We've seen Johnson develop there over about half a season. My issue is that we can't play him at C at all, and I don't really want to bring a kid to the NHL and have him play a bottom-six winger if our ultimate goal is to have him be a top-six center.

Honestly, I'm still not sold that Vladdy is our future 2C. Johnson and Stamkos seem to have that nailed down. More than that, I think don't think we're moving Flip any time soon. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him get another contract with the team. Despite our youth at present, I think Yzerman values experience--it's the thing we forget about the "Detroit model" we hear so much about. He came up in a system that sticks with its core.

I know how high a lot of us are on Vladdy, and I am too. He has a bit of Nik Ehlers in him (or vice versa). But I don't know if his future is in TB.

For now though, I love having him as a #1C in Syracuse. Wouldn't even mind keeping him there next year if it wouldn't be cruel and unusual punishment by that point.

hard to say but right now i'm not sold on vladdy as are future #2 center also I think yzerman drafts a center in round one this up coming draft as the flipper replacement in four years. but it would not shock me to see yzerman deal vladdy with that pick to address are defense if he feels it's worth it. other then koekkeok there is really nothing coming anytime soon. plus right now you can have stamkos, flipper, Johnson and boyle! plus I think drouin could also be a center for us in the future.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, one bad turnover but didn't cost us.

Bolts put it in cruise for portions of that game and it showed.

I'll be surprised if they send Vladdy back down once Paquette is healthy(Thursday). Vladdy is ready for the NHL.

Honestly, rather keep that current 3rd line. Paquette-Flip-Cally did not work so well earlier this season. Everyone on that line with at least a point tonight.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
He's kind of making me think Flipper might be traded in the off-season right now. We need to save the cap space anyway...

There's no way Vladdy can replace Flip's production next season. I see him being here at least one more season before Yzerman looks for a move. Granted, if someone makes a deal for Flip Yzerman likes then Vladdy's recent performance may make him more confident in making that deal.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's kind of making me think Flipper might be traded in the off-season right now. We need to save the cap space anyway...

There's no way Vladdy can replace Flip's production next season. I see him being here at least one more season before Yzerman looks for a move. Granted, if someone makes a deal for Flip Yzerman likes then Vladdy's recent performance may make him more confident in making that deal.

Flip has a NMC/NTC, is still a big part of this core, and you just don't try and make cap room by throwing away Top 6 two way veteran forwards who are still in their prime.

If anyone is going to be moved first to make room for cap space it is likely Carle who is getting paid way too much to be a bottom pairing D.

But we are not at that bridge yet, and will worry about crossing it when we get there.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

I think in the future johnson could be moved to wing like flipper and vladdy takes over that number 2C one day. It would not shock me if yzerman moves killorn out this summer for some more draft picks. if someone offers a 2nd rounder for killorn i think stevie moves him! it opens spots for drouin and vladdy in that top six. now i like killorn but as are buddy robert guess has said he can't skate with stamkos guys like vladdy and drouin can. I like killorn the guy busts his butt but i don't see him as core here we got guys like erne etc.. that can replace him. now i'm unsure but i think vladdy can't be down for the crunch next year ? not with out going on to waivers ? so we are not going to put vladdy on waivers. now you can put drouin down on the crunch next year if stevie wants to ?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think in the future johnson could be moved to wing like flipper and vladdy takes over that number 2C one day. It would not shock me if yzerman moves killorn out this summer for some more draft picks. if someone offers a 2nd rounder for killorn i think stevie moves him! it opens spots for drouin and vladdy in that top six. now i like killorn but as are buddy robert guess has said he can't skate with stamkos guys like vladdy and drouin can. I like killorn the guy busts his butt but i don't see him as core here we got guys like erne etc.. that can replace him. now i'm unsure but i think vladdy can't be down for the crunch next year ? not with out going on to waivers ? so we are not going to put vladdy on waivers. now you can put drouin down on the crunch next year if stevie wants to ?

Johnson cannot play wing at all, he's had 0 success there and said it himself that it doesn't feel right. And we're not going to move a 40-50 point player like Killorn for 2nd rounder..

If you have to put this much effort and moving this many pieces to keep Namestnikov, it's simply easier to just move him..

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Johnson cannot play wing at all, he's had 0 success there and said it himself that it doesn't feel right. And we're not going to move a 40-50 point player like Killorn for 2nd rounder..

If you have to put this much effort and moving this many pieces to keep Namestnikov, it's simply easier to just move him..
I don't see yzerman moving vladdy I think he is going to be a core player here for a long time. In time Killorn and brown move. I think for one more year they want to keep Hedman, stralman, Garrison, coburn and carle on are defense. If connolly got us two second round picks no reason Killorn cant. Stevie likes to stock pile picks I can see him moving killer if he gets the return he wants. But I could also see us hanging on to killer for one more year! All depends on how we do in the playoffs if yzerman wants to make more changes.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't see yzerman moving vladdy I think he is going to be a core player here for a long time. In time Killorn and brown move. I think for one more year they want to keep Hedman, stralman, Garrison, coburn and carle on are defense. If connolly got us two second round picks no reason Killorn cant. Stevie likes to stock pile picks I can see him moving killer if he gets the return he wants. But I could also see us hanging on to killer for one more year! All depends on how we do in the playoffs if yzerman wants to make more changes.

Why would we move the one guy who looks good with Stamkos on a consistent basis for picks?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
ya but don't you think drouin will take his spot on that line next year ?

Why would Drouin take his spot when he's already playing on the same line???

You don't move a guy like Killorn just to move him. He's not Connolly and Purcell. Our team would be considerably worse without him. I'm not saying we CAN'T move him, but if we were to do it, we'd need an actual roster player coming back. Because it would leave a pretty big hole. Even if/when Killer moves off the first line, he's pretty much an ideal 3rd liner. KFC is one of the more effective lines we've put together all year.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket

You don't move a guy like Killorn just to move him. He's not Connolly and Purcell. Our team would be considerably worse without him. I'm not saying we CAN'T move him, but if we were to do it, we'd need an actual roster player coming back. Because it would leave a pretty big hole. Even if/when Killer moves off the first line, he's pretty much an ideal 3rd liner. KFC is one of the more effective lines we've put together all year.

Pretty much. At the start of the season, I was all for moving Killorn if it made us better. As the season has progressed, I'm not so sure I'd do it anymore. He's so versatile - and especially now that he's playing well with Stamkos.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Why you don't think tanner Richard ? Vladdy ? Or adam erne can replace Killorn ? Or odonnell ? You got to make room for these guys! Not saying killer moves next year but within two years I think he is traded. Yzerman has a plan to sustain this long term like the redwings do. Entry level contracts mean savings! Why pay Killorn 3 or 4 million to play on the 3rd line ?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
No reason for change. I think we got used to a ton of turnover in offseasons because Yzerman was rebuilding the team to his liking - don't be shocked if we don't make many/any major splashes this offseason though. Not saying Killorn is untouchable - just that moving him doesn't necessarily make sense. He's on a cheap contract and we can slot him pretty much on any line - that's worth a ton.

Only guy I could potentially see being moved is Carle, but I wouldn't bet on that myself.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
No reason for change. I think we got used to a ton of turnover in offseasons because Yzerman was rebuilding the team to his liking - don't be shocked if we don't make many/any major splashes this offseason though. Not saying Killorn is untouchable - just that moving him doesn't necessarily make sense. He's on a cheap contract and we can slot him pretty much on any line - that's worth a ton.

Only guy I could potentially see being moved is Carle, but I wouldn't bet on that myself.

If yzerman is pleased enough with are playoff performance Id expect Killorn and carle here next year. We should be fine with the cap next year. I also don't think he moves carle until coburn is extended.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Why you don't think tanner Richard ? Vladdy ? Or adam erne can replace Killorn ? Or odonnell ? You got to make room for these guys! Not saying killer moves next year but within two years I think he is traded. Yzerman has a plan to sustain this long term like the redwings do. Entry level contracts mean savings! Why pay Killorn 3 or 4 million to play on the 3rd line ?

I'm not sure you realize how hard it is to be as good as Alex Killorn at the NHL level. None of those guys are sure-bets. Erne's not going to step in and immediately produce as well as Killorn. You don't just "make room" for those guys. You make them earn their spots, and then, if you have to, you make room. Nobody's even come close to taking Killorn's spot yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad