Prospect Info: Vladdy Hockey

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Wouldn't we be hearing something about him being invited by now? A part of me thinks with Chia in charge now, its not a sure thing Tkachev will get an invite.

Pretty sure MacT said last season that hopefully Tkachev will get on with some NHl team somewhere next year. Can't find the quote, but I'm confident he clearly dismissed the possibility of us inviting Tkachev.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Pretty sure MacT said last season that hopefully Tkachev will get on with some NHl team somewhere next year. Can't find the quote, but I'm confident he clearly dismissed the possibility of us inviting Tkachev.

And I also recall reading somewhere that after his contract got voided by the league, Tkachev himself said the Oilers told him they would draft him this year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
And I also recall reading somewhere that after his contract got voided by the league, Tkachev himself said the Oilers told him they would draft him this year.

We should of told him to work on his game and gain some weight.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Found the article:

http://thehockeywriters.com/interview-with-qmjhl-prospect-vladimir-tkachev/

"I was at Nail [Yakupov]’s place, the next day we had to play against Arizona. And at one moment someone from the club calls me and says that the league didn’t confirm my contract. Of course, I fell apart. But the Oilers told me that they will of course try to select me during the next draft, if no other team will."

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Found the article:

http://thehockeywriters.com/interview-with-qmjhl-prospect-vladimir-tkachev/

"I was at Nail [Yakupov]’s place, the next day we had to play against Arizona. And at one moment someone from the club calls me and says that the league didn’t confirm my contract. Of course, I fell apart. But the Oilers told me that they will of course try to select me during the next draft, if no other team will."

Eh, that was under the old guard.

Hopefully we give him a PTO for training camp though.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Not much point.

He is 5' 10" 145-150 lb (soon to be) 20 year old forward.
Waste of a contract IMO.
For the most part I agree. although a PTO doesn't cost anything.

That's the point, along with my theory of insulating players and their development. Yakimov seemed to thrive working in tandem with Tkachev, and if we find a suitable pairing of chemistry between them, I'd gladly throw him a contract to play in the AHL and allow one of our more important prospects a chance to develop through success.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Vladimir Tkachev. I called him Vladdy hockey just to annoy those flame fans and that generic johnny hockey crap. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure he said in a recent interview that the Flames were interested offering him a tryout. So that backfired.:laugh:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That's the point, along with my theory of insulating players and their development. Yakimov seemed to thrive working in tandem with Tkachev, and if we find a suitable pairing of chemistry between them, I'd gladly throw him a contract to play in the AHL and allow one of our more important prospects a chance to develop through success.

Ya, invite him to camp. If he does well, give him an AHL deal. If he does well in the AHL, give him an ELC. There's literally zero risk involved for us

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Not sure what that would accomplish. If they sign him to a 2 way contract and play him in the AHL it still wastes a contract.

If he is willing to sign an AHL only contract I suppose thats something.
Cant understand why there is a thread kept alive with the possibility of Vladdy ever being an NHL player.

145lb 20 year old forwards are not really worth anybody's time and resources IMO.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not sure what that would accomplish. If they sign him to a 2 way contract and play him in the AHL it still wastes a contract.

Cant understand why there is a thread kept alive with the possibility of Vladdy ever being an NHL player.

145lb 20 year old forwards are not really worth anybody's time and resources IMO.

Well he did fare pretty well in the preseason last year. If that translates to his professional career, there's no reason to think he couldn't carve out a decent career as a journeyman forward.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

Sure, Gaudreau and Johnson are only two examples of smaller guys doing well in this league, but the outlier should be skill and not size.

Tkachev did very well and showed a lot of skill in the pre-season with the big club, especially with the big guy on his line. If Yakimov can take advantage of playing better due to this 145lb midget, then you sign him.

An AHL contract wouldn't hurt the team whatsoever.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Sure, Gaudreau and Johnson are only two examples of smaller guys doing well in this league, but the outlier should be skill and not size.

Tkachev did very well and showed a lot of skill in the pre-season with the big club, especially with the big guy on his line. If Yakimov can take advantage of playing better due to this 145lb midget, then you sign him.

An AHL contract wouldn't hurt the team whatsoever.

Exactly how I feel.

Theo Fleury Thrived being small and that was during the clutch and grab era where size mattered more so than it does now. 5'6" and 180lbs. Accumulated 1,088 pts

Martin St. Louis recently retired and was a whopping 5’8″, 177 pounds and was never drafted because of people saying he was too small. Accumulated 1,033 pts.

Brad Marchand is a very effective 2-way forward that scores 20+ goals and 50+ points and is gritty to boot. 5'9", 183lbs.

David Desharnais is a puny but very good player. He's 5'6" and 175lbs.

Jiri Hudler; just look at how good of a player this man is! 5'9" and 175lbs.

Gaudreau.. I hate to talk about him, but he's ******** good.

So many smaller players that are very effective in the NHL right now.

Vladdy might be worth at least a camp invite. I'm never biased towards size.

Marcel Dionne is currently sitting at 6th overall in NHL points of all time and he's 5'7".

:laugh:

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
Exactly how I feel.

Theo Fleury Thrived being small and that was during the clutch and grab era where size mattered more so than it does now. 5'6" and 180lbs. Accumulated 1,088 pts

Martin St. Louis recently retired and was a whopping 5’8″, 177 pounds and was never drafted because of people saying he was too small. Accumulated 1,033 pts.

Brad Marchand is a very effective 2-way forward that scores 20+ goals and 50+ points and is gritty to boot. 5'9", 183lbs.

David Desharnais is a puny but very good player. He's 5'6" and 175lbs.

Jiri Hudler; just look at how good of a player this man is! 5'9" and 175lbs.

Gaudreau.. I hate to talk about him, but he's ******** good.

So many smaller players that are very effective in the NHL right now.

Vladdy might be worth at least a camp invite. I'm never biased towards size.

Marcel Dionne is currently sitting at 6th overall in NHL points of all time and he's 5'7".

:laugh:

Agree with everything u said.
I also do think Teaches plays better with better players..as was evident at last years camp..he thinks the game at a much higher level than his junior peers.

Totally worth a 2-way contract.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
how many contracts do we have against the 50 contract limit?

I like Tkachev but we really should have a spot or two just to get a good waiver pick up if one becomes available, or give us flexibility to make moves during the season.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
In my opinion he will be lucky to play in the ECHL. 145 pounds in his last year in the QMJHL and he couldn't even muster up a PPG pace. He is an afterthought and should've worked on his game more rather than hope the Oilers will waste a draft pick on him. There are literally dozens of better CHLers who are undrafted and can be signed.

It's nuts to actually think it's worth signing him so he can somehow play with Yakimov and help Yak's development. How does pairing Yakimov with an inferior rookie help his development? That's just not going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad