Prospect Info: Vladdy Hockey

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
No way he goes undrafted..
From his interview in Nov "says that the league didn’t confirm my contract. Of course, I fell apart. But the Oilers told me that they will of course try to select me during the next draft, if no other team will."

That's kind of a silly thing to tell a player, why not let him have the extra motivation?

I guess he would probably already have a pretty good idea considering they tried to sign him but it seems unnecessary. Maybe a little petty of me to mention it but meh.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
the oilers will go off the board for garbage on their 3rd round pick and get greedy and wait until the 7th round and someone will take him in the late 6th just for lulz

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the oilers will go off the board for garbage on their 3rd round pick and get greedy and wait until the 7th round and someone will take him in the late 6th just for lulz

I hope this doesn't happen. Almost all 3rd round picks are crap anyways, even by the best drafting teams. Trying to snag him in the 5th round or later just seems like we're trying to outsmart the system. If we like the kid, we should make sure we get him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hope this doesn't happen. Almost all 3rd round picks are crap anyways, even by the best drafting teams. Trying to snag him in the 5th round or later just seems like we're trying to outsmart the system. If we like the kid, we should make sure we get him.

Isn't this the exact same mentality that lead to us taking guys like Musil, Moroz, Abney etc...?

Should be about BPA and if we happen to pick Tkachev a few spots high then so be it, but we should be picking him rounds earlier then what he really should be going. That's just as bad as taking BCHL players, coke machines or Oil Kings because you like them.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I think the difference here is that you've seen him first-hand, competing against other prospects in your system, and acquitting himself very, very well.

Would anyone argue that he was playing at a 3rd round pick level last preseason?

I'd honestly be fine with a 3rd on Tkachev, at least you know to some extent what you're getting.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think the difference here is that you've seen him first-hand, competing against other prospects in your system, and acquitting himself very, very well.

Would anyone argue that he was playing at a 3rd round pick level last preseason?

I'd honestly be fine with a 3rd on Tkachev, at least you know to some extent what you're getting.

Then they will have him higher on their list wouldn't they? I'm just saying if you have him ranked as a 7th rounder don't be stupid and take him a lot earlier because you liked what he did in your training camp.

This is the problem this club has a hard time getting past. They either fall in love with a guy and do everything they can to make it work or they fall out of favour with someone and do whatever they can to not make it work. Time to start seeing things in clearer picture.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Oilers draft him in the 5-7th round. It would be fun to follow Slepyshev-Yakimov-Tkachev in the AHL next year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Isn't this the exact same mentality that lead to us taking guys like Musil, Moroz, Abney etc...?

Should be about BPA and if we happen to pick Tkachev a few spots high then so be it, but we should be picking him rounds earlier then what he really should be going. That's just as bad as taking BCHL players, coke machines or Oil Kings because you like them.

Musil and Moroz were 2nd rounders, and so early they were practically 1st round picks. It's not that comparable to a 3rd round pick. At that range, it's slim pickings and different teams likely start diverging a lot in their draft lists. For a 3rd rounder, I doubt there could be a consensus BPA.

It's also different than picking an Oil King or BCHL player because other teams have seen Tkachev play in the preseason and might bump him up their draft lists as well. Imo we should be comfortable with drafting him a full round earlier than we would if we didn't know him.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Then they will have him higher on their list wouldn't they? I'm just saying if you have him ranked as a 7th rounder don't be stupid and take him a lot earlier because you liked what he did in your training camp.

This is the problem this club has a hard time getting past. They either fall in love with a guy and do everything they can to make it work or they fall out of favour with someone and do whatever they can to not make it work. Time to start seeing things in clearer picture.

Right - I guess I'm saying both - they obviously missed the boat on drafting him for some reason, like 29 other teams, but then recognized some potential there. Now they have a first-hand look, essentially a prospect trying out for their team, which you never get in a draft, you need to rely on video and what your scouts tell you.

So other teams may have him as a 5th round pick, whilst the Oilers have him as a 3rd, because they've seen him first-hand.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think it's looking more and more like he's probably never going to make the NHL. I still want him just because he was fun to watch, and seeing him back for the preseason next year would be cool. But the fact is that an NHL prospect should probably be scoring a lot more than Tkachev is.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think it's looking more and more like he's probably never going to make the NHL. I still want him just because he was fun to watch, and seeing him back for the preseason next year would be cool. But the fact is that an NHL prospect should probably be scoring a lot more than Tkachev is.

you do know he is coming back from an injury?

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
He wasn't putting up great numbers before his injury either. I think he'll be there if the Oilers want him in the fifth or sixth round. He's a very small kid, the odds are against him.

he's only played 20 games or so this year on 2 different teams plus he was injured and is no longer playing with Barbashev.

I don't know much about his teammate Timashov - it says he is from Sweden but perhaps he speaks the same language as Tkachev as well. If he doesn't have any Russian speaking teammates I'm sure that might impact him somewhat as well.

When I looked up Timashov's stats it appears he may be a very similar player to Tkachev and is listed as 5'9" though heavier. He has 58 pts in 40 games this year and is projected to go early 3rd round in this years draft.

Tkachev has less points 1 year further into draft eligibility so perhaps he goes 4th or 5th round based strictly on merits assuming someone doesn't go off board to get him.

If we are using our 3rd to get him, we should be looking at Timashov 1st IMO and try to snag Tkachev in the 4th lol

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
Unless I missed it, looks like he went undrafted again.

Wonder if he gets another camp invite.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Wonder if Chiarelli gives him an invite to the tournament in BC. What a 'feel good' story that would be if he did well.

I don't get the sense Chiarelli has any time for a player like Tkachev. Too bad, it would be interesting to see him get a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad