Prospect Info: Vladdy Hockey

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
In my opinion he will be lucky to play in the ECHL. 145 pounds in his last year in the QMJHL and he couldn't even muster up a PPG pace. He is an afterthought and should've worked on his game more rather than hope the Oilers will waste a draft pick on him. There are literally dozens of better CHLers who are undrafted and can be signed.

It's nuts to actually think it's worth signing him so he can somehow play with Yakimov and help Yak's development. How does pairing Yakimov with an inferior rookie help his development? That's just not going to happen.

1.07 PPG.

Who knows what happened this year, I bet the having his world fall apart by the contract sitaution didn't help, or maybe changing teams mid season hurt his production as well. I don't know.

What I know is that there was a reason he was invited last year, and he blew everyone's expectations out of the water.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
1.07 PPG.

Who knows what happened this year, I bet the having his world fall apart by the contract sitaution didn't help, or maybe changing teams mid season hurt his production as well. I don't know.

What I know is that there was a reason he was invited last year, and he blew everyone's expectations out of the water.

In a recent interview Tkachev mentioned that he has been suffering from shoulder injury since December, only now he is recovering from it.

By the way, about his size, in that interview he mentioned that he is now 5'10" and 159 lbs.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
In a recent interview Tkachev mentioned that he has been suffering from shoulder injury since December, only now he is recovering from it.

By the way, about his size, in that interview he mentioned that he is now 5'10" and 159 lbs.

Thanks, that is interesting.

He was a long shot exceeding expectations last year, I don't see why they wouldn't give him the same chance again. Especially after what happened last year.

And no, I am not saying that the organization owes him a chance. I am just saying that in my opinion it is the right thing to do, and there is obviously still an off-chance that he exceeds expectations once again.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Exactly how I feel.

Theo Fleury Thrived being small and that was during the clutch and grab era where size mattered more so than it does now. 5'6" and 180lbs. Accumulated 1,088 pts

Martin St. Louis recently retired and was a whopping 5’8″, 177 pounds and was never drafted because of people saying he was too small. Accumulated 1,033 pts.

Brad Marchand is a very effective 2-way forward that scores 20+ goals and 50+ points and is gritty to boot. 5'9", 183lbs.

David Desharnais is a puny but very good player. He's 5'6" and 175lbs.

Jiri Hudler; just look at how good of a player this man is! 5'9" and 175lbs.

Gaudreau.. I hate to talk about him, but he's ******** good.

So many smaller players that are very effective in the NHL right now.

Vladdy might be worth at least a camp invite. I'm never biased towards size.

Marcel Dionne is currently sitting at 6th overall in NHL points of all time and he's 5'7".

:laugh:
The thing is you named half dozen that did well. Do you realize how many of these guys there are that yearly don't get draft, that end up having their careers ended?

I'm not opposed to a PTO, but just because a select few have done it doesn't mean we should consistently bring up the one offs that were successful. Keep in mind this is a guy that was scouted heavily this season because of hype from last off-season. He was in the memorial cup and still no one took him. Those are pretty big tells at this point.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The thing is you named half dozen that did well. Do you realize how many of these guys there are that yearly don't get draft, that end up having their careers ended?

I'm not opposed to a PTO, but just because a select few have done it doesn't mean we should consistently bring up the one offs that were successful. Keep in mind this is a guy that was scouted heavily this season because of hype from last off-season. He was in the memorial cup and still no one took him. Those are pretty big tells at this point.

You could say the same thing about huge players too. The reality is each individual presents their own unique set of circumstances and their ability to succeed is completely irrelevant to the individuals that came before them. You can make predictions based off historical comparables but it's not prudent to make a determination off of them. Each situation needs to be assessed on it's own merit, the faliure of other small players has no actual bearing on Tkachev, it's simply an interesting consideration. Even if only 1 small player out of 100 makes it that actually has no bearing on Tkachev and his likeliness of success, only Tkachev and the realities concerning him has any influence on that.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You could say the same thing about huge players too. The reality is each individual presents their own unique set of circumstances and their ability to succeed is completely irrelevant to the individuals that came before them. You can make predictions based off historical comparables but it's not prudent to make a determination off of them. Each situation needs to be assessed on it's own merit, the faliure of other small players has no actual bearing on Tkachev, it's simply an interesting consideration.

Which is fine, but that's why I had the 2nd paragraph which clearly shows that NHL scouts didn't see anything in this guy. I didn't just take his size into it, I took what NHL scouts and management types across the league have shown us.

And I could be wrong, but didn't Vladdy say something about a few teams having interest in him last year? So even those teams have stepped away for the moment.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Which is fine, but that's why I had the 2nd paragraph which clearly shows that NHL scouts didn't see anything in this guy. I didn't just take his size into it, I took what NHL scouts and management types across the league have shown us.

And I could be wrong, but didn't Vladdy say something about a few teams having interest in him last year? So even those teams have stepped away for the moment.

Martin St. Louis was never drafted for similar reasons.

That being said; I never once mentioned that the Oilers need to try and make something out of fringe players all the time. I'd make an exception with Vladdy because of his success from last camp and the fact he suffered a major injury this season that hampered his game.

Fact: Most teams do tend to overlook undersized players where as most teams don't overlook players with size. Point being; perhaps he's been overlooked due to size and injury. What's the harm in a camp invite? If he ears an AHL contract, good. If he earns a two-way contract great. If he doesn't make the cut, oh well.

Aceonfire*

I was a huge Vladdy supporter but this season hurt him. His play at the mem cup was a nail in his coffin.

If he doesn't have the puck he seems disinterested. Chia didn't owe him anything so I don't blame him for not drafting him.

It was dumb to not use a pick on Loik Leveille though. He won't pass through again.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I was a huge Vladdy supporter but this season hurt him. His play at the mem cup was a nail in his coffin.

If he doesn't have the puck he seems disinterested. Chia didn't owe him anything so I don't blame him for not drafting him.

It was dumb to not use a pick on Loik Leveille though. He won't pass through again.

Leveille will be attending our camp though, and if we offer him a contract it will go through this time, not like with Tkachev.

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
Thanks, that is interesting.

He was a long shot exceeding expectations last year, I don't see why they wouldn't give him the same chance again. Especially after what happened last year.

And no, I am not saying that the organization owes him a chance. I am just saying that in my opinion it is the right thing to do, and there is obviously still an off-chance that he exceeds expectations once again.

The Oilers aren't a charity. Contracts are won out of merit and he did not do enough this year for 30 NHL teams to justify using a draft pick to take him.

I hope he succeeds either in North America or Europe but I don't see any NHL teams using a contract on him because he is so far away right now, and honestly based on his play that's the right decision.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd invite him to camp again he showed us enough at the last camp to at least get that courtesy extended to him IMO.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The Oilers aren't a charity. Contracts are won out of merit and he did not do enough this year for 30 NHL teams to justify using a draft pick to take him.

I hope he succeeds either in North America or Europe but I don't see any NHL teams using a contract on him because he is so far away right now, and honestly based on his play that's the right decision.

No ****, thanks for clarifying...

When and/or where did I mention a contract? If you want argue against something you should read and try to understand the point which you don't agree with.

Do you think it would be wrong to invite him to TC? Last year he was invited but no one expected anything, he surprised and exceeded expectations, this year he is in the same situation and no one would expect anything.

I'd invite him to camp again he showed us enough at the last camp to at least get that courtesy extended to him IMO.

My opinion as well, I know many don't think he'll ever amount to anything in the NHL, but, as we all know, no one expected him to amount to anything last year as well and in the end he did enough to earn a contract offer.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
No ****, thanks for clarifying...

When and/or where did I mention a contract? If you want argue against something you should read and try to understand the point which you don't agree with.

Do you think it would be wrong to invite him to TC? Last year he was invited but no one expected anything, he surprised and exceeded expectations, this year he is in the same situation and no one would expect anything.

I know you're not disagreeing with anything I'm about to say, I'm just using your post as my springboard...

It seems like quite a few people, no matter what language they couch it in, are actually fairly AGAINST giving him an invite - which doesn't make sense to me.

An invite is free, it doesn't cost the team anything. He surprised last training camp, and from what I've heard, there are injury reasons that can account for his less than stellar year. There is little reason to not give him that opportunity to surprise again.

If he does... give him the AHL contract - if he surprises there, then consider an NHL contract.

At the very least, you've got a motivated body who is ready to give some competition to other players who shouldn't be allowed to feel like their spot on the team is a given - and none of this costs the Oilers. An invite isn't charity, it's not giving up an NHL spot, it's not doing any of these things that those against an invite are complaining about.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
I know you're not disagreeing with anything I'm about to say, I'm just using your post as my springboard...

It seems like quite a few people, no matter what language they couch it in, are actually fairly AGAINST giving him an invite - which doesn't make sense to me.

An invite is free, it doesn't cost the team anything. He surprised last training camp, and from what I've heard, there are injury reasons that can account for his less than stellar year. There is little reason to not give him that opportunity to surprise again.

If he does... give him the AHL contract - if he surprises there, then consider an NHL contract.

At the very least, you've got a motivated body who is ready to give some competition to other players who shouldn't be allowed to feel like their spot on the team is a given - and none of this costs the Oilers. An invite isn't charity, it's not giving up an NHL spot, it's not doing any of these things that those against an invite are complaining about.

There's only so many spots available, I just don't see this type of player as a need at this time or down the road.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

That is correct. These are generally the same people who does not want to see, or rather see no use in, under sized players invited. This year he was under the light, and many think that under sized players need huge numbers to even be in the conversation.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
There's only so many spots available, I just don't see this type of player as a need at this time or down the road.

Only so many spots meaning NHL contracts? Because no one here is saying "give him an NHL contract!". They are saying "invite him to the training camp". I'm pretty sure bringing him to the training camp as an invite isn't going to deprive some player that would have otherwise been great for the Oilers.

From there, if he fails to impress, you cross him off your list. If he does impress, getting more talented bodies for the AHL is never a bad thing. If a player can't beat him out for a spot in the AHL, that likely means one of two things - Vladdy is doing well enough to merit further interest, or else the other player is underwhelming and showing that he doesn't merit further interest.

IF he impresses at the AHL level, THEN we are talking NHL contracts - until that point, he's not taking NHL contract space away from anyone.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
He was in my top 20 in his draft year based on his talent... he should easily have been AT LEAST a late pick for some team in his draft year.

Since he went undrafted, now though we do get to take a look at what he did in his draft+1 year season and it wasn't so hot obviously.

Taking the two years as a whole though (as I'm not going to throw out his draft year and strong showing in camp)... I still think he would deserve a look.

79 pts in 66 regular season games and another 25 pts in 27 playoff games are what his total QMJHL numbers are... not spectacular... but again at least worthy of a late round pick with those types of stats imo (and yes I realize no other team felt that way through 2 entire drafts... but so be it... the vast majority of the players teams DID choose in the late rounds of those 2 drafts will amount to nothing at the NHL level as well).

Let's not forget... the Oilers wanted him signed and offered him a contract... so to say he is suddenly a complete dud would be a little extreme... especially if part of the underperformance was potentially due to injury.

Anyway... the summary is... he's still worthy of a look imo based on his total stats and the fact he looked solid last camp... if he looks as good (or better) again... sign him up for the AHL... if not... cut him loose and nothing lost.

Honestly with Slepyshev/Yakimov down there as well... I do admit that pushes me a little more in wanting to see him back in camp as well. An all-Russia line with one massive guy... one little crafty guy and one middle sized guy with decent hands might be entertaining to watch... like the 3 bears out there :)... all with different strengths and traits in their games and sometimes players mesh well with others and produce results that are more than the sum of their parts.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Only so many spots meaning NHL contracts? Because no one here is saying "give him an NHL contract!". They are saying "invite him to the training camp". I'm pretty sure bringing him to the training camp as an invite isn't going to deprive some player that would have otherwise been great for the Oilers.

From there, if he fails to impress, you cross him off your list. If he does impress, getting more talented bodies for the AHL is never a bad thing. If a player can't beat him out for a spot in the AHL, that likely means one of two things - Vladdy is doing well enough to merit further interest, or else the other player is underwhelming and showing that he doesn't merit further interest.

IF he impresses at the AHL level, THEN we are talking NHL contracts - until that point, he's not taking NHL contract space away from anyone.

Would be nice if u could just invite every undrafted camp eh..:popcorn:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He was in my top 20 in his draft year based on his talent... he should easily have been AT LEAST a late pick for some team in his draft year.

Since he went undrafted, now though we do get to take a look at what he did in his draft+1 year season and it wasn't so hot obviously.

Taking the two years as a whole though (as I'm not going to throw out his draft year and strong showing in camp)... I still think he would deserve a look.

79 pts in 66 regular season games and another 25 pts in 27 playoff games are what his total QMJHL numbers are... not spectacular... but again at least worthy of a late round pick with those types of stats imo (and yes I realize no other team felt that way through 2 entire drafts... but so be it... the vast majority of the players teams DID choose in the late rounds of those 2 drafts will amount to nothing at the NHL level as well).

Let's not forget... the Oilers wanted him signed and offered him a contract... so to say he is suddenly a complete dud would be a little extreme... especially if part of the underperformance was potentially due to injury.

Anyway... the summary is... he's still worthy of a look imo based on his total stats and the fact he looked solid last camp... if he looks as good (or better) again... sign him up for the AHL... if not... cut him loose and nothing lost.

Honestly with Slepyshev/Yakimov down there as well... I do admit that pushes me a little more in wanting to see him back in camp as well. An all-Russia line with one massive guy... one little crafty guy and one middle sized guy with decent hands might be entertaining to watch... like the 3 bears out there :)... all with different strengths and traits in their games and sometimes players mesh well with others and produce results that are more than the sum of their parts.
No offense, but I wouldn't be telling people that a guy that went undrafted was in your top 20.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
And what undrafted players do you want to invite that you think an invite to Vladdy would prevent happening? :popcorn:

The problem is how many guys do you want there? you have your own actually prospects and players too look at, the more you invite the less time you get to spend on each guy. There is a reason why teams don't just invite 30 or 40 undrafted players.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The problem is how many guys do you want there? you have your own actually prospects and players too look at, the more you invite the less time you get to spend on each guy. There is a reason why teams don't just invite 30 or 40 undrafted players.

Yes, but in this particular case we are talking about one player. Not two, five or ten, just one. It is not a matter of general policy, it is about one player who did something great last year but unfortunately, despite earning a contract offer, couldn't get signed.

Anyway, I think the point of view of those who would like to see him invited is quite clear. I base my opinion 80% on what he did last year in TC, and 20% on that he still didn't have such a horrible season (even though most expected more). In the end this is still the same player/person as last year, and I don't think it was just luck or a fluke that he managed to get into a position where the Oilers tried to sign him.

It is not that important, and I am aware of the fact that the odds are against him even if he were to be invited, but I still think it is the right thing to do.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
No offense, but I wouldn't be telling people that a guy that went undrafted was in your top 20.

Well obviously his size played a "little" role into him going undrafted as well. :)

He was (and is) a talented player... but like many others of his size... it's an uphill climb to prove themselves at the NHL level.

I doubt the Oilers give him another look but the org isn't exactly deep on the wings in terms of offensive talent in the minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad