Blue Jays Discussion: Vlad Jr wait/watch II: Watch Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ronny Brito Profile:

Team: Ogden Raptors (ROK) ETA: 2021 Position: SSAge: 19 DOB: 03/22/1999 Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6' 0" Weight: 165 lb. Signed: July 2, 2015 - LAD

Scouting grades: Hit: 40 | Power: 40 | Run: 55 | Arm: 60 | Field: 60 | Overall: 45
One of the best defenders in the 2015-16 international class, Brito landed a $2 million bonus to sign out of the Dominican Republic. He spent his first pro season in the Rookie-level Dominican Summer League before making his U.S. debut in 2017. That ended in early August when a runner slid into him on an attempted double play and broke his left leg.

While Brito still needs time to develop more consistency, he has Gold Glove upside at shortstop. He covers plenty of ground at shortstop thanks to his smooth actions, quick first step and keen instincts, and his soft hands and strong arm add to his playmaking ability. His tools will play anywhere in the infield and he saw time at second and third base last year.

Brito isn't nearly as advanced offensively as he is defensively. He's a switch-hitter with promising bat speed and solid speed but hit just .232/.324/.362 in his first two pro seasons. He showed some patience in his debut but was overly aggressive last season and struck out in 33 percent of his plate appearances.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Winning always feeds attendance. Fans fall in love with stars in Toronto though it brings people to the park.

The Jays were 50-51 and nothing special about them I remember waiting to buy tickets to the Oakland series in middle Aug. I was going to buy $8 off stubhub. Then the Tulo and Price deals happended and the Attendance spike and people started coming out. Tickets shot up to $50 and the dome was selling out again. Attendance rose almost 20k a game.

Team wasn't competitive at 50-51 but then 2 stars show up Tulo and Price and then attendance rises 20k a night. I think Vlad alone can repeat some of this but if you added a premier guy as well not only does it help in the stands but on the field.

That was the year where both the Yankees and Red Sox were struggling, and the Jays were in contention even at 50-51. Price and Tulo were finishing touches that made the fans (correctly) believe that the team was a competitor. I would argue that if our record was 40-61 and we added Price and Tulo, we wouldn't see much difference in attendance.

Here's a chart that demonstrates my point. We've had the pleasure of seeing two of the greatest pitchers of their generation (also, ever) pitch for us, yet during their starts out attendance was up only around 2k:

Ace_pitchers_attednance.0.png

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
According to MLB.com, Brito was the Dodgers 23rd ranked prospect and Sopko isn’t in their top 30
Both seem to basically be nothing prospects. Brito is close to 20 and hasn't gotten out of rookie ball yet...though I believe a lot of that is due to fighting injury. Sopko maybe could turn into a pen arm.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Sopko seems like nothing but depth, 24 years old and only hit AA ball. Brito might be worth something;

Andrew Sopko draft profile

Heredia, Alvarez, Brito headline int'l haul

Ronny Brito
Brito is 6'1, 175 pounds, and the 16-year-old for now is known more for his defense at shortstop than his bat, though the latter could certainly develop.
"He projects as a pure shortstop with good body control, smooth actions, soft hands, good range and a plus arm. He’s an athletic player with plus speed as well," wrote Badler on Tuesday.
Brito was rated No. 15 by FanGraphs, No. 21 by MLB.com and No. 25 by Baseball America.
His bonus was $2 million, per Sanchez and Badler.

2M in a bonus to Brito has to make you think the Dodgers thought highly of him.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Found a scouting report on Brito by John Sickels made a couple months ago

Age 19, signed out of Dominican Republic in 2015 for $2,000,000; hit .295/.359/.496 with 11 homers, 23 walks, 78 strikeouts in 234 at-bats between Dominican Summer League and Pioneer League; aggressive hitter with power upside, plenty of bat speed but approach rather raw; range and arm work well at shortstop and errors should decline with experience; ETA 2022.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That does not seem like that bad of a deal for opening up a roster spot and a bit of salary, even if the Jays eat most of it. Both could provide some value down the line. Now you can have Jansen-McGuire-Maile as your Org. Depth at catcher and use that 40-man spot on someone hopefully a bit more useful.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If that's the case I would hope we would at least get a top 20 prospect from the Dodgers in return. Return is meh for eating that much $

He’s played 90 games in each of the last two seasons and is 36 years old. He’s a backup catcher at this point. A good backup, for sure, but I wouldn’t think he has much worth regardless of salary.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
He’s played 90 games in each of the last two seasons and is 36 years old. He’s a backup catcher at this point. A good backup, for sure, but I wouldn’t think he has much worth regardless of salary.
If his value is that low and we are eating that much why not just keep him? He's a good vet for the kids to show them the way, could play C, backup C, 3b, Ss and if he has a good season you probably get more at the trade deadline. Maybe the 25 man roster is tight?

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
If his value is that low and we are eating that much why not just keep him? He's a good vet for the kids to show them the way, could play C, backup C, 3b, Ss and if he has a good season you probably get more at the trade deadline. Maybe the 25 man roster is tight?
Getting Jansen paying time is more valuable than riding out one year for a veteran that probably doesn't want to be here anyway.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Is it confirmed the Jays are retaining 75% ($15M) of Martin's salary?

It sounds like it is 16-18M. If its 17.5M, then that is the amount of Phelp's guaranteed salary. Always value in what you save, the playing time you gain on top of the return.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Someone mentioned playing time for Jansen, but also an opportunity for him to win a WS. It’s a favour as well, I’m sure.

Reactions: sessiroth and Kurtz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad