Blue Jays Discussion: Vlad Jr wait/watch II: Watch Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
LeMathieu to the Yankees. 24M over 2 years.

Always thought this was the way to go for the Yankees. I don’t see the short or even long term need for Harper or Machado. It’s a buyers market so go shopping on the short term contract for mid tier guys which is what they are doing.

Might have fallen into a depreciating asset in Stanton, don’t need more in Machado or Harper when you will need big deals for guys like Judge, Torres, Andujur and Severino... maybe guys like Paxton too.

Plus you have a next wave of prospects you don’t want to block.

Machado and Harper would do more for teams like the White Sox and Phillies.

Reactions: Joel Ward

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I called Russ Martin to the Dodgers months ago.

I also called us retaining around 15M and probably getting a "Julian Merryhweather" type prospect back.

Either way great move for all three parties.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

I also called us retaining around 15M and probably getting a "Julian Merryhweather" type prospect back.

I mean, everyone expected Martin to move and the Jays absorb a lot of the cost, and the Dodgers were one of the main teams that were looking for a catcher.

Good job I guess

Reactions: Kurtz

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I mean, everyone expected Martin to move and the Jays absorb a lot of the cost, and the Dodgers were one of the main teams that were looking for a catcher.

Good job I guess

I think that's moreso a comment at me for saying that retaining 75%+ on Martin wouldn't be required considering he's still a valuable backstop. But I will postface my earlier comments on the matter by saying that the Jays were always gonna maximize value and eat salary on any contracts moving out since this is a dead year, and the Dodgers seem to definitely want to stay under the luxury tax this upcoming season.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

Congrats you called an obvious cap dump w/ no return.

Thanks Stevie

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Can't argue with this, especially if we capture the value of 1 free agent WAR at around ~$10 mil (though this seems like it's going to start falling rapidly).

Add on the fact that WAR doesn't capture pitch framing/game calling/leadership, and you have to be satisfied with the deal.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Should get something interesting eating that much money. Curious if it's a couple arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->