Prospect Info: Vitaly Abramov - RW/LW

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I don't kno who he knocks out. The player that makes sense is Dzingel but then he likely wont wanna sign here which I am fine with at this point.

Also could scratch Tierney than have Stutzle test out C

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Abramov to get a look?? He’s been playing his best hockey lately, IMO.

Maybe. Wasn't it Troy Mann's last interview where he said he scratched Abramov for an entire 3rd period because he kept turning over the puck? I remember him saying that he was forced to do it because all other approaches weren't getting through to Abramov and that DJ Smith has a much lower tolerance than him. He essentially said if Abramov did the same thing once up in Ottawa that he would be sent back to the press box or sent down to Belleville. It didn't sound like he had a lot of confidence in Abramov to limit those turnovers.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Maybe. Wasn't it Troy Mann's last interview where he said he scratched Abramov for an entire 3rd period because he kept turning over the puck? I remember him saying that he was forced to do it because all other approaches weren't getting through to Abramov and that DJ Smith has a much lower tolerance than him. He essentially said if Abramov did the same thing once up in Ottawa that he would be sent back to the press box or sent down to Belleville. It didn't sound like he had a lot of confidence in Abramov to limit those turnovers.

Ya, but since Abramov is eligible to be taken in the expansion draft, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Sens want to see what they have in him now.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Ya, but since Abramov is eligible to be taken in the expansion draft, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Sens want to see what they have in him now.
Yeah I think they will likely give him a look. There are only a handful of players under contract this year that could get looks in Ottawa before the season ends. Abramov is near the top of that list. The others are Parker Kelly, Egor Sokolov, Logan Brown and possibly Mark Kastelic. Troy Mann thought it would be best for Sokolov to continue where he is so maybe he won't get a call up. Brown hasn't played almost all season so he might not get called up. Kastelic got called up to the taxi squad earlier this season and Troy Mann really likes him so he might get a look. Parker Kelly seems like the guy who will get called up after Abramov.

I guess we will see what we have with Abramov and what role he may have with the organization moving forwards.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Makes sense, was wondering when he'd get his chance.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - White
Abramov - Paul - Dadonov
Formenton - Tierney - C.Brown (Shutdown line)

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah I think they will likely give him a look. There are only a handful of players under contract this year that could get looks in Ottawa before the season ends. Abramov is near the top of that list. The others are Parker Kelly, Egor Sokolov, Logan Brown and possibly Mark Kastelic. Troy Mann thought it would be best for Sokolov to continue where he is so maybe he won't get a call up. Brown hasn't played almost all season so he might not get called up. Kastelic got called up to the taxi squad earlier this season and Troy Mann really likes him so he might get a look. Parker Kelly seems like the guy who will get called up after Abramov.

I guess we will see what we have with Abramov and what role he may have with the organization moving forwards.
You think they will have that many players up? I understand they would want to see a few but I hope they only focus on a few.

They should decide to let Pinto and JBD play in NHL rest of the season or send them down but they may have an agreement to stay up on roster for rest of season.

Other than that Abramov is closest to NHL ready and has played before.

If they were going to look at anyone else I would be inclined to let Crookshank get a peek, particularly if he keeps up his current pace. Give him a taste to send him in to off season on a high.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

Stutzle - Pinto - White
Abramov - Paul - Dadonov

Pretty crazy how quickly this roster is filling up. If Pinto sticks this year that’s likely only two forward spots up for grabs if we move Tierney and don’t re-sign Dzingel.

Good time for Abramov to prove he belongs. After this year, I expect it will be much tougher for everyone to get a call up - which is a good thing.

Reactions: NB613 and Boud

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pretty crazy how quickly this roster is filling up. If Pinto sticks this year that’s likely only two forward spots up for grabs if we move Tierney and don’t re-sign Dzingel.

Good time for Abramov to prove he belongs. After this year, I expect it will be much tougher for everyone to get a call up - which is a good thing.

Thats what we thought last year... In comes Stepan, Watson, Paquette, Galchenyuk and Anisimov "lookin' good" in TC.. up front ; And Coburn, Gudbranson, Brown on D.

Lets hope we don't see a repeat performance out of Dorion on that front

Kids are looking good .. The vets they bring in should have to earn their spots now.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If Abramov can make some noise it'd be awesome for us to see him likely starting out with the big club. As much as I would like to keep Dzingel since he's a vet who hasn't been useless, whatever he brings isn't enough to take up a roster spot imo

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
You think they will have that many players up? I understand they would want to see a few but I hope they only focus on a few.

They should decide to let Pinto and JBD play in NHL rest of the season or send them down but they may have an agreement to stay up on roster for rest of season.

Other than that Abramov is closest to NHL ready and has played before.

If they were going to look at anyone else I would be inclined to let Crookshank get a peek, particularly if he keeps up his current pace. Give him a taste to send him in to off season on a high.
Those are the players that are in contention for a callup. I am not sure how many will actually get called up before the end of the season. Crookshank does not have an NHL contract this season so he isn't really an option for a callup. He signed his ELC which starts next season and signed an ATO for the remainder of this season. He has performed well and would likely be in serious consideration for a call up if he was under contract.

I don't know if Abramov is closest to being NHL ready. He is an older prospect who is an RFA at the end of the season. I believe he might be eligible for the expansion draft and will become waiver eligible next season. Him being called up could be performance related but it could also be asset management related. The organization needs to figure out where he fits and if he fits. If he isn't in the long term plans then they may intend to trade him instead of risk losing him on waivers next season.

Reactions: OD99 and PlayOn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This year is different than past years. There are already a lot of young guys in the lineup looking to keep improving.. I don't see that many guys getting much of a chance this year and games are running out. They have Formenton and Pinto now up front. JBD and Alsing looking to play. Abramov .. may get in for a game or two if there's an injury or they take someone out. I've lost track on their roster numbers re waivers to get a roster spot.. do they have room to bring Abramov up without waiving someone or assigning a non waivers player to the taxi squad?

IF Logan Brown can look half decent in a couple AHL games they may prioritize giving him a look just to say they did.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
He's pretty much in Balcers territory where you can see that there isn't really a roster spot available for him in Ottawa. He isn't going to displace Tkachuk, Stützle, Paul, Batherson, Formenton or Brown on the wings. Watson fills a totally different role and we're stuck with Dadonov for 2 more seasons.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Abramov does a couple things really well that keep me interested in seeing what he can do with Ottawa.

Not sure we have a better offensive puck hound right now. He pulls pucks into the net area pretty consistently and has a great motor.

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
He's pretty much in Balcers territory where you can see that there isn't really a roster spot available for him in Ottawa. He isn't going to displace Tkachuk, Stützle, Paul, Batherson, Formenton or Brown on the wings. Watson fills a totally different role and we're stuck with Dadonov for 2 more seasons.
If they're serious about evaluating him, now is the time. They didn't trade Dzingel for whatever reason (maybe no takers?) and he's a UFA at the end of the year. Sit him and play Abramov NOW. If he plays well, either you establish trade value for him, or you have him as the next in line as a LW in case of injury to anyone ahead of him. If he doesn't, at least you gave him a shot and have no regrets waiving him and seeing him play for San Jose on one of their top two lines next year.

Reactions: Cosmix

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Stutzle - Pinto - White
Abramov - Paul - Dadonov

At this point Tierney can sit, as far as I'm concerned.

Stutzle - Norris - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - Abramov
Formenton - Pinto - Dadonov
Dzingel - Paul - Brown

Third and fourth lines get equal playing time. I think Abramov excels at bring the puck to the net and that's Tkachuk's office. Could be a really good fit. White's skating can help with puck retrieval.

That bottom six could take advantage of some teams. A very well rounded group that skates really well.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Thats what we thought last year... In comes Stepan, Watson, Paquette, Galchenyuk and Anisimov "lookin' good" in TC.. up front ; And Coburn, Gudbranson, Brown on D.

Lets hope we don't see a repeat performance out of Dorion on that front

Kids are looking good .. The vets they bring in should have to earn their spots now.

This is my big worry - Dorion will go out and get a whole new cast of “vets” for the players to learn from.

There was a point where Glenn Sather just handed the keys of the Oilers over to the talent.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
At this point Tierney can sit, as far as I'm concerned.

Stutzle - Norris - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - Abramov
Formenton - Pinto - Dadonov
Dzingel - Paul - Brown

Third and fourth lines get equal playing time. I think Abramov excels at bring the puck to the net and that's Tkachuk's office. Could be a really good fit. White's skating can help with puck retrieval.

That bottom six could take advantage of some teams. A very well rounded group that skates really well.

Connor Brown has 14G and is a work horse. No way he’s playing 4th line behind Abramov/Dadonov and some of those others you listed ahead of him.

All the speed in the world doesn’t mean anything when you don’t (or can’t) engage the body or puck.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Connor Brown has 14G and is a work horse. No way he’s playing 4th line behind Abramov/Dadonov and some of those others you listed ahead of him.

All the speed in the world doesn’t mean anything when you don’t (or can’t) engage the body or puck.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I mean we ARE trying to win the Cup right now so...

The Brown line would get plenty of ice time (as I stated originally). In fact I don't care if that line gets the most ice time. We want to get a look at players with less certainty moving forward in situations that suit how they project. Put scorers on a scoring line in a season that is going nowhere, so you can see how they might look down the road in the role they are suited to play.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Oh and have you watched Abramov play? He engages plenty and goes to the high traffic areas. Not sure who you are referring to with this.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Oh and have you watched Abramov play? He engages plenty and goes to the high traffic areas. Not sure who you are referring to with this.

Yes - his own coach AHL says he doesn’t do enough of the little things to make the jump... you’re comparing that to Brown who is a NHL examplar of a player that “does all the little things”.

I want him to get a chance - mostly to boost his value in a trade or to allow us to move away from one of the bad contracts like Dadonov or White.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
This is my big worry - Dorion will go out and get a whole new cast of “vets” for the players to learn from.

There was a point where Glenn Sather just handed the keys of the Oilers over to the talent.

He brought in those guys just in case Norris,Brown and Jimmy were not ready they are not needed next year. Dado and Watson were the only guys that were on longer than 1 year contracts I would imagine they give brown and a second to take White because he sucks

Reactions: Sweatred

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He brought in those guys just in case Norris,Brown and Jimmy were not ready they are not needed next year. Dado and Watson were the only guys that were on longer than 1 year contracts I would imagine they give brown and a second to take White because he sucks

I guess we'll see.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Then move the whole line up one and call it the third, the premise was having two equally used lines in the bottom 6. People get to hung up on numbering lines. Pageau and Hoffman were on our "3rd" line with Hoffman being clearly our best LW at the time, but the reality was the distinction between 1st line and 3rd line can be one or two shifts a game at even strength.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad