Prospect Info: Vitaly Abramov - RW/LW

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I hope these players are smarter than that. Why would the organization send down Brown to "play more minutes" only to bring up one of the top prospects to fill in a 4th line role too? They will get their chance, I am confident that players like Batherson, Balcers, Abramov and Formenton could all get some NHL time this year, especially after the deadline. What is the rush with getting them NHL playing time? Are we desperate for more wins? No, because we are winning more games than we expect this season, so what purpose does bringing up players, who are not quite ready, to the NHL do for us?
Why do players that get called up have to fill a 4th line role? If this season is all about development, why not run with him for a week or so in the top 6. It's just a week.

Either way, next season or even after the TDL, has DJ Smith shown any desire to place these call ups in the top 6? Both Brown and Batherson got the very quick hook, what makes you think the other guys will get more rope?

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Why do players that get called up have to fill a 4th line role? If this season is all about development, why not run with him for a week or so in the top 6. It's just a week.

Either way, next season or even after the TDL, has DJ Smith shown any desire to place these call ups in the top 6? Both Brown and Batherson got the very quick hook, what makes you think the other guys will get more rope?

I still think they will do that, just not yet, more likely post-deadline? Who knows but I agree that all of the players performing well in Belleville should be rewarded with NHL time this season, with a caveat that their call-up does not make the team "better" and push us up the standings and down the draft.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Brown was here for 23 games. Is that a quick hook? It seems to me that Brown was given a solid opportunity and wasn't able to take advantage of it. That's not DJ Smith's fault

Batherson was a quick hook. He was behind the pace of play.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

They don’t - Batherson was with MD last year... that being said DJ will lose the room if he overplays kids in positions they are not ready for. The RFA/UFA’s have done their time proving they belong in the league and are fighting for pay checks and jobs next year. They vets have to earn their time but when they do it is hard to bump them down the lineup. I’m thinking Duc, Enis, Brown etc. Boedker has been paced by Paul, Brown21 etc.

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Brown was here for 23 games. Is that a quick hook? It seems to me that Brown was given a solid opportunity and wasn't able to take advantage of it. That's not DJ Smith's fault

Batherson was a quick hook. He was behind the pace of play.

Brown's icetime was extremely limited and he was benched every time he made a mistake, even minor ones. This is textbook how you beat down a kid's confidence. Doesn't matter how many games he was up here if he didn't get much opportunity to put his skill on display.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Brown's icetime was extremely limited and he was benched every time he made a mistake, even minor ones. This is textbook how you beat down a kid's confidence. Doesn't matter how many games he was up here if he didn't get much opportunity to put his skill on display.

Brown averaged 11:45 / game and he was well under 10 for his last several games while still with the team. So he was up around 13 a game before the ice getting cutback. 13 a night is plenty to make an impression and earn more ice but in Brown's case he went the other way. I saw him live a few times this year and he just didn't look great. You can see the skill, but not enough effort and slow

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Brown averaged 11:45 / game and he was well under 10 for his last several games while still with the team. So he was up around 13 a game before the ice getting cutback. 13 a night is plenty to make an impression and earn more ice but in Brown's case he went the other way. I saw him live a few times this year and he just didn't look great. You can see the skill, but not enough effort and slow

It's almost like.....his confidence was whittled down.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's almost like.....his confidence was whittled down.
You don't get it....13 minutes a night for 15 games was plenty of time for him to establish himself...for him to create the impression in Smith's mind that i have to get this guy on the ice....he just didn't and that's not Smith's fault. In the summer i was one of the guys pumping his tires. I really thought he would establish himself but you know i saw him play in an exhibition game in September and i knew he was in trouble

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sure if you ignore how quickly he was glued to the bench as soon as he made a mistake this makes perfect sense.
If a player continually makes the same mistakes game after game the leash gets short as it should.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It’s almost like Logan’s game wasn’t where it needed to be so the coaching staff stopped playing him ahead of Tierney and Pageau.
So it makes more sense to trust a minor league head coach to develop him further rather than an NHL coaching staff?

At a certain point this organization needs to see exactly what they have in this guy. What better way to see than in a throw away season. Unless they think that they already know what he is. Play him in your top 6. What's the worst thing that can happen, we lose?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So it makes more sense to trust a minor league head coach to develop him further rather than an NHL coaching staff?
If he isn’t getting the message then the demotion is another tool. Maybe Brown will never get it, who knows.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If he isn’t getting the message then the demotion is another tool. Maybe Brown will never get it, who knows.
Why not reward a guy like Abramov or Balcers then if Brown had to go down? Continually calling up lesser players sends the wrong message to the guys producing in Belleville.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Why not reward a guy like Abramov or Balcers then if Brown had to go down? Continually calling up lesser players sends the wrong message to the guys producing in Belleville.
Neither of us knows what they are telling the players in Belleville, maybe they are fully aware of the teams plans for them.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Neither of us knows what they are telling the players in Belleville, maybe they are fully aware of the teams plans for them.
Even if they are aware, it doesn't mean they are happy with it. I would say that close to 100% of AHL players would rather sit in the press box everyday and collect an NHL salary than riding the buses in the minor leagues. Guys need to see that they will be rewarded, if not, then why work as hard?

It's really not a big deal, but at some point guys need to be rewarded.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's crazy that some people still haven't realized that the call-ups are not made based on merit this year...

Can't blame Senators fans though, never went through a full rebuild before.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd rather let the kids stay in Belleville for the year. Let them stay in their groove and focus on Belleville and improving their game.

Worst thing to do to a kid is yo-yo back and forth between the two teams and leagues.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You don't get it....13 minutes a night for 15 games was plenty of time for him to establish himself...for him to create the impression in Smith's mind that i have to get this guy on the ice....he just didn't and that's not Smith's fault. In the summer i was one of the guys pumping his tires. I really thought he would establish himself but you know i saw him play in an exhibition game in September and i knew he was in trouble

he never looked the same after the dumb benching against the wild. I mean remember how good he looked when he first came up. now all i see is a player scared to make plays lest he get benched.

im not even saying Brown is ready or deserves to be up. but he was poorly handled by Smith.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Lol. Young players the league over love DJ Smith, and he is widely known to be a players coach and excellent with young players.

But a couple dudes in here now know what’s best for Brown because they watch games in TV.

It’s fun to have opinions, but let’s stop pretending we know better.

Brown has sucked, and we he’s being sent down to develop further at a level where he can excel and earn that ice time. It’s the right move.

And yes, Trent Mann was brought in to develop the kids in the NHL in conjunction with the pro staff. He’s been doing a great job so far so why are people knocking him all of a sudden?

Come on guys, I know that botching about the team has been the norm, but a few moments of though will show that Brown has not been good enough to stick on the team, and the kids in Belleville are creating something special and are there to learn how to win. Brown will fit in there well at this point. The coaches are doing a good job, our vets have been solid and will be worth something at the TDL, and we’re going to get a couple picks.

Relax and sit back.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Lol. Young players the league over live DJ Smith, and he is widely known to be a players coach and excellent with young players.

But a couple dudes in here now know what’s best for Brown because they watch games in TV.

It’s fun to have opinions, but let’s stop pretending we know better.

Brown has sucked, and we he’s being sent down to develop further at a level where he can excel and earn that ice time. It’s the right move.

And yes, Trent Mann was brought in to develop the kids in the NHL in conjunction with the pro staff. He’s been doing a great job so far so why are people knocking him all of a sudden?

Come on guys, I know that botching about the team has been the norm, but a few moments of though will show that Brown has not been good enough to stick on the team, and the kids in Belleville are creating something special and are there to learn how to win. Brown will fit in there well at this point. The coaches are doing a good job, our vets have been solid and will be worth something at the TDL, and we’re going to get a couple picks.

Relax and sit back.

Ha - I agree. I’m sad that Brown wasn’t able to stick over the past few months... in the end it was the right decision.

I reread your post an replaced the colour Brown for White and it made me smile. Have a good night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad